A lightweight 3/4 rain length jacket - at last!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

A lightweight 3/4 rain length jacket - at last!

Postby PedroArvy » Fri 08 Jan, 2021 5:59 pm

You don't see 3/4 length lightweight jackets come out of the US and I have always wondered why?
Mont now makes one that weights 340 grams, see https://www.mont.com.au/products/highpl ... ag_organic

I wonder how it performs, I have too many rain jackets to justify another one :roll:

PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: A lightweight 3/4 rain length jacket - at last!

Postby GregG » Fri 08 Jan, 2021 8:06 pm

Haha, go on and buy one Pedro, you know you want to. I have a Mont rain coat which is almost identical to the one you have spotted except for the weight. Mine comes in at 795gms vs the 295 gms of the UL offering so there is cinsiderable weight saving. As for durability, I am on record as a "breathability" denier so I would say good luck with that.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby PedroArvy » Fri 08 Jan, 2021 9:04 pm

I have actually moved to a non-breathable Lightheart Gear sil-nylon. Plus I have a non-breathable Aarn rain poncho. Maybe when I get sick of those.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Sat 09 Jan, 2021 4:52 am

I would love for this to be workable. The first thing that puts me off is that there don't seem to be armpit vents.

The second thing that puts me off is that they say that it "has a lower resistance to wear and tear. It is not recommended for use with heavy packs". Well, if it is going to shred the fabric when I wear it with a heavy pack, I don't think it is going to cope with the Blue Mountains scrub.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 09 Jan, 2021 6:34 am

Looking at the seams in the picture it should have been simple enough for Mont to use heavier and more wear resistant fabrics in the shoulders ot simply add a second layer there. I wonder why they chose not to?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 09 Jan, 2021 6:57 am

HIGHPLAINS ULTRALIGHT JACKET MEN (sic) from Mont

I suppose they believe they are giving you warning with it's name.
Though it's not ultralight as Pedro said-it's lightweight. I suppose it's mainstream 'Australian Ultralight' :D
Good effort on their part to at least have a go (!), but I reckon most going UL would still buy elsewhere ($570 :shock:) and get lighter, cheaper and breathable
(or non-breathable-I'm with you Pedro on the Sil top) for an UL ruckie.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby PedroArvy » Sat 09 Jan, 2021 7:17 am

Given it's a lightweight jacket you can't expect the durability of the standard Mont jacket and I think that's fair enough, there has to be a compromise.

I'd ditch the elaborate pocket on the front to cut weight but perhaps add an extremely lightweight inside mesh pocket, a hanging sack basically. Can't see what you'd want to put there other than a map or GPS so it can be really simple.

Not sure you need extra material on the shoulders. As Adventure Alan says, 3 layer jackets are enough for light loads and this is a 3 layer jacket. This is not a jacket for 25kg packs.

Simple pit zips would be nice.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 09 Jan, 2021 8:27 am

PedroArvy wrote:I have actually moved to a non-breathable Lightheart Gear sil-nylon.

I've had an Espresso coloured one for a few years. Looks like new. They offer some great colours. What colour did you go for?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Zapruda » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 5:32 pm

I had a look at one of these at the Canberra store when they first came out. Wasn’t impressed with the cut, length or design.

Any bushwalking jacket that has the pockets too low and are subsequently rendered useless by your packs hipbelt wasn’t designed by actual bushwalkers.

Im fairly slim but found the cut to be a little too tight. Not wide enough for layering underneath.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Thu 27 Oct, 2022 9:12 pm

G'day has anyone been wearing one of these around since this thread began and can give a fit and durability update?

I have the Astral model. Usually go for an OR helium jacket, now with added MLD rain kilt. My backpack weight is usually 12-15kg. Thanks.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 6:41 am

Looks like they could work for casual day walkers carrying no or light day packs on scrub free trails quite well. Also Adventure travellers particularly retirees walking in rainy and windy destinations.

Probably a reasonable demand for a light 3/4 length jacket for those markets.

I don't think the pocket positioning is a deal breaker considering the target market likely not using hip belts.

Not a jacket for heavy packs or off trail use.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 8:09 am

I recently considered this jacket as my one and only Tassie hiking jacket but decided not to given its price and durability. I ended up with a Patagonia Torrentshell 3L for its good balance of price, function, and durability. I do wish it was longer though, but then it would be heavier of course.

The One Planet Cat and Dog was the other one that looked good. Not ultralight or anything but seems like a good design. 3/4 length. Not super heavy. Price is OK. The fit didn't work for me though
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 8:33 am

Design, materials and specifications are good for the light, easy daywalks, but the price is ridiculous.
Last edited by north-north-west on Fri 28 Oct, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Biggles » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 9:14 am

What!?
$600 to be kitted out like Jean Shrimpton!?
Why is everything MONT seemingly overpriced? I noticed their tent range has gone up yet again, to the point where people like what they see in design and materials, but not the prices. MONT is not the only offender in terms of pricing; RAAB and ArcTeryx among others commanding a kidney and a venting of the spleen.

I have been careful to only purchase a jacket, 3/4L or otherwise, with underarm zips or vents (zips more preferably). I have these in two North Face jackets packflats which are very light. 3/L "jackets" are restrictive of leg movement. My walks are often in cold and wet conditions, not of the ultra-heavy duty variety but I do require ventilation. So many jacket manufacturers seem to overlook or find a creative reason for not including underarm vents/zips.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 10:22 am

I've never understood pit zips. When hiking my arms are swinging by my side (and therefore the vents are obstructed), not flapping like I am attempting to fly. I have never found that pit zips do much unless I., well, flap. I can achieve the same bellows effect by pulling the front of the jacket backwards and forwards. They do work on cycling jackets though as your arms are held away from the torso and also, I presume, for climbing/ice climbing where you have your armpits exposed.

My current rain jacket has front facting vents with storm flaps, much easier to mechanically billow out humid air. I have a softsehell jacket from Outdoor research that has zips from armpit to waist - now these do work well!

We all have our preferences of course, but I find pit zips inefective and they add unnecessary bulk, weight and expense..
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 10:54 am

Underarm zips, particularly, but also vent patches, are not all that good for cycling. Road cyclists travelling at speed effectively have their armpits hard against their sides, negating any effect that ventilation measures could provide; instead, the front zip is often brought down, resulting in a parachute effect. Of course, ventilation is not a problem when a Munchies Stop occurs when there is ample opportunity to open everything up. But in use — not such a good idea.

My last WE cycling jacket had underarm zips but they were prone to jamming along the fabric flap presumably put there to add an extra layer of protection from water ingress. Like other things by WE over time, the material faltered, taped seams failed, zips broke and the material was clammy and uncomfortable in real world use. Today we have much more lighter, flexible and user-friendly materials but we must all be vigilant with perceived (from experience) vs actual manufacturing faults. Seam seals and the choice of fabric weighted against potential use. These above such thing as underarm zips/vents.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 1:24 pm

slparker wrote:I've never understood pit zips. When hiking my arms are swinging by my side (and therefore the vents are obstructed), not flapping like I am attempting to fly. I have never found that pit zips do much unless I., well, flap. I can achieve the same bellows effect by pulling the front of the jacket backwards and forwards. They do work on cycling jackets though as your arms are held away from the torso and also, I presume, for climbing/ice climbing where you have your armpits exposed.

My current rain jacket has front facting vents with storm flaps, much easier to mechanically billow out humid air. I have a softsehell jacket from Outdoor research that has zips from armpit to waist - now these do work well!

We all have our preferences of course, but I find pit zips ineffective and they add unnecessary bulk, weight and expense..

Interesting. Apparently I flap more than you do while bushwalking. There's a noticeable reduction in moisture inside my jacket when I use a pit-zippered jacket. I close them up in torrential rain, but find them particularly useful if it's drizzling all day. I'm not sure I've come across front-facing vents. Or did the old japara jackets have them? They sound an interesting solution.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 1:27 pm

Columbia outdry has long vents on the front covered by a storm flap, they still work best by occasionally billowing the front of the jacket to expel the air.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 1:40 pm

Next best longer option I have just remembered is a Montbell Pack Wrap or Rambler coat.

Both are about half the weight of my Mont Astral.

If an OMM or OR ultralight survives use with an overnight pack as I've experienced then the lighter Mont or Montbell should be fine... Would prefer to touch a product in this case.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 4:19 pm

Wow they look really good. I clearly didn't look hard enough
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave95 » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 7:28 am

I have both a Patagonia Torrentshell and a Mont. By the way the name of the Mont is "Austral" not "Astral". The Torrenshell is the old two-and-a half layer model, not the latest three layer model which I understand performs better. However, I find mine steams up on even a short walk, whether I open the pit zips or not. The Mont is much better and I find it comfortable in all but hot humid weather.
Dave95
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 7:27 pm

Try a simple silnylon poncho, with hood.
You can close it up in very cold weather, or let it flap in warm weather.
We wear ours even in the snow.
PonchoPic2S.jpg
PonchoPic2S.jpg (34.22 KiB) Viewed 7272 times

(Col du Croix de Bonnehomme, France)
Yes, Sue was wearing overtrousers at that stage. :)

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 8:18 pm

rcaffin wrote:Try a simple silnylon poncho, with hood.
You can close it up in very cold weather, or let it flap in warm weather.
We wear ours even in the snow.

Hi Roger,
The first time I walked with someone who used a poncho, it quickly became a parachute, held on by the cord under the chin. What stops this from just blowing up, and what stops your arms from getting drenched?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment