Ultralight tent 1-2 ppl

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Ultralight tent 1-2 ppl

Postby gbagua » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 8:23 am

Hello all,

I have done a forum search and there are several options out there. It all comes down to budget and also product availability as many tents are "sold out."

My options have been narrowed down to:

1. Mont (neither the lightest nor the cheapest)
2. Naturehike (Cloud Up series)
3. Big Agnes
4. Tarptent

Any other options from relatively unknown manufacturers are welcome.

Anything below $500 AUD is the ideal budget but I can stretch it a bit if the tent is worth it.

Max packed weight 1.5kg but ideally anything close to the 1kg mark.

*I want to buy a tent that is sold without having to buy any extras/trekking poles (more weight more cumbersome and I don't use them, don't like them either) so "tarptent" is probably not my favourite option.

Finally, I would prefer the item to be shipped from Australia.

Thanks for your input. :)
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Ultralight tent 1-2 ppl

Postby Franco » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:35 am

The most popular Tarptent (in numbers sold) is the Double Rainbow.
About 1200g including pole and pegs.
I does not need trekking poles.
Hybrid design, so a fly with an attached bug inner/floor.
It needs to be seam sealed. Video on how to do it on the TT site or you can pay $35 USD and TT does it for you.
On the plus side, it takes 2 long/large mats, something that many LW doubles can't do.
It's in stock at the moment.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/double ... /#tab-id-2
sold directly from Nevada City USA, so no maybe not your best option.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby gbagua » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks Franco.

Any idea about what's the shipping cost from the US + estimate delivery time?

I can seal the seams myself. No problem at all. I got "Aquaseal" which I use every now and then in my trail shoes. But in a tent will it last long enough that justifies its purchase? Otherwise I'd prefer a tent that is already sold with sealed seams which will last for the entire life of the item.
gbagua

Postby Franco » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 3:02 pm

At the moment USPS takes 3-4 weeks I think but UPS (TT gives that option) takes 2 weeks or so.
About $60 USD for delivery.
Silnylon tents need to be seam sealed with silicone. Can't be done by machine and they need to remain standing to dry for 12-24 hours.
Some use the Gear Aid version Seam Grip +Sil (note that it must be + Sil...) but most just buy a small tube of the 100% type silicone (Selleys Roof and Gutters is one...) and mix it with Mineral Turpentine. (no , not Vegetable or Odourless .. just the plain smelly version).
It only needs to be done once because it is meant to penetrate the stitching (hence the dilution) not to coat them.
Last edited by Franco on Sun 10 Jan, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 3:07 pm

I had a Double Rainbow Li before moving to the Xmid 2p.

The Double Rainbow is a brilliantly designed tent. Apart from the small vestibules I thought it was simple, comfortable and easy to setup. It isn’t the most weather worthy tent but for 90% of conditions people face in Aus it should be fine.

It’s hard to beat Tarptent customer service as well. If you need it sooner that what USPS can deliver then ask Henry and team to ship it via UPS. It will arrive in just over a week to Aus.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby metastable » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 4:40 pm

SIX MOON DESIGNS Skyscape Scout or Trekker are available, although you need to add in the cost of poles, guy lines and pegs and seal it yourself, they seem pretty decent for the price. If I didn't already have a lightweight tent, they'd be on my list.
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby gbagua » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 5:21 pm

Franco wrote:but most just buy a small tube of the 100% type silicone (Selleys Roof and Gutters is one...) and mix it with Mineral Turpentine.
It only needs to be done once because it is meant to penetrate the stitching (hence the dilution) not to coat them.

Is this the one?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-100 ... e_p1210616

What's the silicone:mineral turp. ratio?

Can I use the following product and skip turp.?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-315 ... l_p1230179

Thanks again, Franco.

Thanks everyone else too :)

Note: I'll most likely get the TR DR as it's relatively cheap but also a very, very decent tent. I like BA but a bit over my budget.
gbagua

Postby Franco » Mon 11 Jan, 2021 9:26 am

That is a new version but yes , same stuff (100% silicone /translucent)
I start with a blob of silicone , say a spoonful, inside a tuna can or similar. I then add something like two teaspoons of turp and mix in. Then keep adding and mixing till it looks like runny honey.
When you apply it have a rag impregnated with some turp on hand so that you can immediately wipe the drips, if any.
Best done when the close by BBQ is not on.
BTW, silicon cures much faster in high humidity.
Spray version.
I would not use that on seams but I never tried either.
When I have seen seam sealing failures is usualy because a "substitute" was used.
That is the wrong type of silicone and or solvent ( like metho, vegetable turpentine , odourless turpentine)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 7:45 am

I highly recommend the double rainbow. I've had one about six years and it's a fantastic and versatile tent for one or two people.
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dexter » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 8:38 am

Any reason anyone would steer away from the discounted 'Blemished' tents? The site states...

Product will have one or more instances of a Dyneema blemish. Fully taped. No performance difference and full warranty applies. Dyneema is inherently irregular — the fiber weave is wiggly and it only becomes a potential structural problem when the distance between adjacent fibers approaches 1/8in. All the Dyneema blemish tents have one or more extra tape lines to account for these fiber gaps. The tape actually makes the fabric stronger than it would otherwise be and the “look” is really not that different given the presence of all the taping already present.

If it's only cosmetic and has no effect on longevity, weight etc then I'm all for saving a few extra $$
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Thu 14 Jan, 2021 12:08 am

Should add Nemo and MSR to the list.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby ribuck » Thu 14 Jan, 2021 2:24 am

Dexter wrote:Any reason anyone would steer away from the discounted 'Blemished' tents?

I would buy the blemished one. After you have used the tent a couple of times, it's going to have blemishes anyway.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Dexter » Thu 14 Jan, 2021 9:06 am

ribuck wrote:
Dexter wrote:Any reason anyone would steer away from the discounted 'Blemished' tents?

I would buy the blemished one. After you have used the tent a couple of times, it's going to have blemishes anyway.

Yeah that's what I figured too. I pulled the trigger last night on a StratoSpire Li Blem. I'm not at all precious on the look of the tent so long as it's in no way structurally compromised in the long term. The warranty is unchanged, so I'm happy to give it a go! I have a 3 night walk planned for the end of the month. It's probably a tad optimistic to have it in time for that but you never know. I'm excited! :)
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 3:54 pm

Omg that was fast. Arrived this arvo. Less than a week. :shock:
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 3:28 pm

Was that USP or USPS ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 3:34 pm

Franco wrote:Was that USP or USPS ?

I paid more and requested UPS. Seriously quick! I didn't expect that at all. Especially under the current circumstances.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bam » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 4:11 pm

My Double Rainbow Li arrived yesterday, as I didn’t need it in a real hurry I choose the cheaper USPS delivery option, it only took 15 days to arrive here in WA which I thought was pretty good especially as other goods I’ve ordered from the Eastern States here in Australia have actually taken longer to arrive!
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Franco » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 7:22 am

Thank you very much for the postage time comments.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 12:07 pm

Hey guys,

Just finished seam sealing the TT Rainbow.

A few things:

- Do I need to seam seal the floor area (stitching) to prevent any rain seeping through the interior?

- They suggest applying silicone stripes on the floor to prevent pad slippage. Anyone?

- The guylines that tighten the door and the opposite site don't have the plastic rings/loops the rest of the guylines have. Is this a manufacturing error? Maybe they them.
gbagua

Postby Franco » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 2:26 pm

Do I need to seam seal the floor area (stitching) to prevent any rain seeping through the interior?
Best if you do.

- They suggest applying silicone stripes on the floor to prevent pad slippage. Anyone?
I do. It works better if you also stripe the bottom of your mat doing the stripes in the opposite direction. THIN layer, otherwise it will peel off.

- The guylines that tighten the door and the opposite site don't have the plastic rings/loops the rest of the guylines have. Is this a manufacturing error? Maybe they them.
Those rings are there for the freestanding set up. They are not needed otherwise.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks again for the tips. ;)
gbagua

Postby gbagua » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 6:50 pm

For the record, regarding tent seam sealing:

https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites ... CSeams.htm

*Note: the product listed in that link "McNett Silnet silicone seam sealer" is now sold under the name of
Gear Aid Seam Grip + SIL Silicone Tent Sealant.
gbagua

Postby Franco » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 8:44 am

If you happen to have Mineral turpentine on hand , buy a small tube of Selleys Roof and Gutter silicone (you will see a "100% silicone" label on it) and dilute that with the turp.
Put a blob of silicone in a can, add a small spoonfull of turp , mix in , add more turp and mix till you get the consistency you are after. I use it much more diluted than the Gear Aid version. The reason is so that it penetrates the seams rather than coating them.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment