Feedback for OLT tent and gear list

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Feedback for OLT tent and gear list

Postby sasha_thiedeke » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks so much for the info, you're actually a life saver! Have you tried taking in dehydrated tomatoes / fruit and vege? I gave them a call and it redirected me back to the website which implies you can take tomatoes?? But it's a tiny bit grey on home dehydrated options?

Their site says these are ok to bring;

"Fruit and Vegetables (cooked, hard frozen, canned, preserved, dried commercially)"
"Camping foods (freeze-dried)"

Warin wrote:Tassies don't want anything that has seeds .. so dehydrated kiwi fruit is out.... as are dehydrated tomatoes etc...
sasha_thiedeke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby stry » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 12:38 pm

Given the importance of a correct diet for you, would it be practicable for you to transport hard frozen stuff ? If you have the likes of an Engel, that could be an option that would let you take home dehydrated meals. IE Take those meals but transport them in a hard frozen state ???? It appears that seeds would be OK in a hard frozen form.????
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 5:50 pm

The whole point behind the biosecurity rules is to minimise the chances of importing weeds, insect pests or pathogens. Home dehy fruit and veg can be considered questionable because of the lack of verifiable control over preparation. Still, plenty of people have brought in their own home-prepared dehy meals without issue.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rider » Mon 22 Mar, 2021 10:56 pm

If I am reading the list right - do you have pants for camp?

I walked the Overland in April a few years ago with my daughter who is about your build - we has sun initially then awful windy sleet the first day. showers and sun mixed then another night with snow overnight. It is generally pretty cold at night. I'm from Victoria.

We used the huts except for the tent - on the night it snowed!. I have a SMD Haven and it worked well.

I run hot and I still had a wool thermal and a polar fleece most nights even in the heated hut. It's certainly needed outside ! . You should be Ok in a merino top and down jacket

Pm if you'd like some more details _ I have my old list but not as detailed as your

Apparently a lot of the guides use ninja ice gloves - I've bought some since and they seem pretty good for $10 at the tool shop!!

And chocolate is the bonus high energy snack ( if you can tolerate it!)
rider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FNM » Tue 27 Apr, 2021 9:31 pm

matagi wrote:I have the E-book version of the book below: I would suggest getting a copy. Very detailed recipes including nutritional breakdown and vegetarian/vegan alternatives.

https://xtremegourmet.com/collections/all

Hi matagi. Does the book offer vegetarian/vegan alternatives for all the recipes in the book or just a select number? Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 14 Aug, 2023 10:15 pm

What do you people do for a stove for the
OT?
I use a trangier but taking a trangier with some liquid spirit residue still on the burner thingie
,on the plane won't be allowed me thinks. Are you allowed to take gas cannisters on flights?
I am prepared to buy a gas cooking set up but I need to know about the details regarding
transporting gas cannisters on planes or obtaining them on arrival somewhere in TAS..
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Scrambler » Tue 15 Aug, 2023 3:24 am

I can't speak for flights, but I was walking in a group of 4 and we took a Trangia 27 in a billy, and an MSR XGK. We used both, but could have just used the Trangia. Or could have just used the MSR.

Aircraft travel means a clean, does-not-smell-like-fuel stove.

But this is much easier with a Trangia. Just let the burner fully dry in the open air before packing. If you are really concerned and prepared to buy a new stove, buy a new Trangia burner. Carry it in the factory packing.

Whatever you do you should be able to buy fuel in Tasmania:-) Don't try to take any fuel on the airplane.
Scrambler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 15 Aug, 2023 9:15 am

You can't take fuel of any sort on the plane; you will have to purchase after arrival - gas, metho, whatever. Make sure your stove is completely clean and dry with no smell of fuel and it should be OK.

There are plenty of outdoor shops in Launnie and it should also be possible to buy fuel at Pencil Pine.

Note: the restrictions also apply for your return flight, so any excess fuel supplies will have to be left behind at LSC. There's usually a stack of partially used cylinders there at the end of the day.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bearded bushwalker » Tue 15 Aug, 2023 3:24 pm

It is best to check your airline website for their requirements. I have received approval to carry fuel stoves, but their requirements are very specific and can take some time. This link show some information. https://www.bushwalkingaustralia.org/wa ... nes-stoves
bearded bushwalker

Be yourself, there is nobody better qualified.
bearded bushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 17 Aug, 2023 7:42 pm

Buying a new trangier liquid spirit burner thingie and keeping it in the factory /shop packaging sounds like a good solution.
I can buy a litre or two of Methylated spirits on arrival in Launceston.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby rangersac » Thu 17 Aug, 2023 7:52 pm

I've transported a Trangia on a plane no dramas. Prior to packing just burn off excess fuel and let the burner dry in the open air. Then give it a quick wipe to remove any residual odour

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment