Sun protection sleeves

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sun protection sleeves

Postby Eremophila » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 9:49 pm

So..... I need to purchase a pair at some stage before September when I expose my sun-damaged skin to the Northern Territory elements once again. Long-sleeved shirts annoy the living daylights out of me.

The best-looking ones I’ve seen have all been designed for golf and don’t have the covering for the back of the hand, which I do need.

Anyone had a really good pair? Or a really bad pair? It’s pretty much a “buy and try” item but any user reviews would be appreciated.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Sun protection sleeves

Postby ofuros » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 6:08 am

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/sun- ... ion-gloves
Thumb hole & back of hand protection..available online @ Aussie bushwalking shops.

https://www.sparms.com.au/collections/s ... -thumbhole
....thumbhole & back of hand coverage.

Separate sleeve & hand coverage option...
https://www.icerays.com.au/Home/ShopAU

Fingerless glove option...
https://www.bcf.com.au/brands/sunprotection-australia
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ribuck » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 7:31 am

For the back of the hand, I use UVeto Backhanders. I bought mine at Lone Dingo in Alice Springs, but they're widely available.

https://www.sunsafeaustralia.com.au/gloves/backhander-uveto-australia
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby stry » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 10:13 am

I note your aversion to L/s shirts, but I find that a long shirt sleeve involves less faffing around and is less irksome than fiddling with a separate sun sleeve.

I use the gloves that have been linked and a long sleeved cotton shirt.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 11:44 am

stry wrote:I note your aversion to L/s shirts, but I find that a long shirt sleeve involves less faffing around and is less irksome than fiddling with a separate sun sleeve.
I use the gloves that have been linked and a long sleeved cotton shirt.

Yep I'm hearing ya. I may end up buying the normal sleeves for summer golf, and l/s shirt plus fingerless gloves for walking.

thanks all.
Eremophila

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 12:33 pm

stry wrote:I note your aversion to L/s shirts, but I find that a long shirt sleeve involves less faffing around and is less irksome than fiddling with a separate sun sleeve.

Me too.
I do own sun sleeves and will occasionally wear them walking or cycling. Cheap Aliexpress Hi Cool brand. In expensive and comparable to more expensive brands.

What I didn't think of when using them and I discovered most recently was that insects can bite through them as they are a thin, fitted material.
I was eaten alive by mozzies and march flys when walking in a paperbark swampy area for 2 days, it was really,really horrible. Looser items of clothing are better such as a long sleeve tops. Just something to throw into the mix in your decision making.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eremophila » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 3:01 pm

Thanks Ms Mudd, I did notice one of the brands had a supposedly insect-repellent fabric. I'm doing the Jatbula in September so that's definitely worth knowing!
Eremophila

Postby andrewa » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 5:46 pm

Easy to make from Lycra. Insects don’t seem to be able to bite through Lycra that easily. Sew a tapered tube. Don’t bother about overlocking edges. Though this does require access to a sewing machine, it would take only a few minutes to make them.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby stry » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 6:23 pm

Eremophila wrote:Thanks Ms Mudd, I did notice one of the brands had a supposedly insect-repellent fabric. I'm doing the Jatbula in September so that's definitely worth knowing!

Sawyers Permethrin is an easy to apply (to your clothing) anti insect treatment if bugs are a major concern.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment