Boot repair

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Boot repair

Postby davidmorr » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 11:45 am

IMG_8556.JPG

On Keen footwear, they insist on having the sole wrap around the heel. Over time, these bits come unstuck and accumulate dirt and grit inside, helping to peel more of it off.

I am trying to work out whether to just cut the loose bit off, or to try to glue it back on.

Gluing it back on would probably be stronger, but tbh I have not had much luck getting glued up footwear to stay together. It usually peels off again in a few weeks - even bootmakers' glue.

So, should I cut it off, or reglue it? And if the latter, what is a good glue to use?
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Boot repair

Postby commando » Sat 27 Mar, 2021 7:58 pm

The best glues don't like to flex (Araldite) and on that surface i would use Bunnings Roof and Gutter silicone
which will last about six weeks, its peeling off further down and it seems those runners should be relegated
to walking around the football oval close to home, as trust is a big component of shoes and losing soles in remote areas
is no joy, to a point i sometimes carry runners as a backup to my boots as i have had many de-laminate, stitching is now
replaced with glue, a sign of the throwaway times, we now enjoy.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment