Nikwax tx.direct spray-on causing damage

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nikwax tx.direct spray-on causing damage

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Sat 27 Mar, 2021 10:43 pm

I recently applied Nikwax tx.direct spray-on to refresh the DWR layer of a pair of Outdoor Research overpants. The fabric has a “clammy” interior membrane and seals over various seams. The garment is probably 10 years old and has been infrequently used.

Much to my dismay I discovered that after the Nikwax spray was applied the garment was irreversibly damaged. Firstly, most of the seals over seams had come away from the inner membrane. It would appear the Nikwax had completely dissolved the glue binding seals over most seams. Secondly, the Nikwax had partially dissolved large areas of the inner membrane. So, a significant proportion of the inner membrane was less waterproof than areas unaffected by the spray.

All in all my garment is now useless.

Has anyone else had similar problems with Nikwax ?
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Nikwax tx.direct spray-on causing damage

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 28 Mar, 2021 5:56 am

Another possibility is that the fabric water proof membrane and seam sealing was on its last legs and application of a chemical was enough to hasten the membrane/seam delamination/disintegration. If that was the case it's likely the garment would have been no use in the rain before or after a treatment of any after market product.

Could try contacting OR. They have a life of product warranty. Though they may consider 10 years as 'life' no matter if it's been infrequently used or not. Worth a shot.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Nikwax tx.direct spray-on causing damage

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Sun 28 Mar, 2021 10:49 am

I have contacted both OR and Nikwax and await a reply.

Although the overpants were at least 5 years old they had been used infrequently. They showed little signs of wear: only a small patch on the crotch and one or two seam tapes lifted no more than 5mm.

All bit of a mystery !
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment