Newbie - Hiking Bag Recommendation

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Newbie - Hiking Bag Recommendation

Postby Aussie_Camper » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I did a search of the forums but as the information I'm after is specifically around my gear I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

I'm a newbie in the process of gearing up for hiking but finding it really difficult to find the right pack. I have ordered an Osprey Atmos 65L but based on my gear I feel it's going to be overkill, especially as I'll be moving towards lightweight gear in the future.

My base weight is 5.8KG but this does not include clothing and is more for a summer setup.

The breakdown of my gear is as follows:
-Companion pro hiker 2 tent - 2.7kg (Looking to purchase a 4 season tent soon)
- Sea to Summit Alpha Cookset & Soto Windmaster stove - 0.443 kg
- Klymit static v sleeping pad 0.531kg
-El cheapo kmart sleeping bag and pillow - 1.2kg
Miscellaneous items (head torch, first aid etc) -1kg

Can anyone throw a few brands and possible models at me? I feel like the exos 58L would be a good contender but I'm to be honest I feel overwhelmed with the amount of packs on the market.

Would prefer to keep budget to around $300-400 but open to spending more for the right pack.

Any help with the above would greatly appreciated :)

Cheers Jack
Aussie_Camper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Newbie - Hiking Bag Recommendation

Postby Warin » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 4:38 pm

Do some overnights with the Atmos and see how the sizing suits.

Rather than target the backpack, I'd target your sleeping bag. What limits the reduction of backpack weight/size is what you need to put in it. By reducing the size/weight of your sleeping bag you then open the opportunity to reduce the backpack.

The Atmos is a good comfortable pack .. use it for a year and see what you might improve.. including size and load.
Note: similar range of sleeping bags/quilts as there are for backpacks. Need to identify what suits you and what temperatures you will be experiencing.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 4:53 pm

What Warin said
There's no real functional difference between a 58 litre pack and a 65 litre pack, and far better a bigger pack with everything inside it. Fit and comfort is the important thing with packs once the capacity is right.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aussie_Camper » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 5:04 pm

Warin wrote:Do some overnights with the Atmos and see how the sizing suits.

Rather than target the backpack, I'd target your sleeping bag. What limits the reduction of backpack weight/size is what you need to put in it. By reducing the size/weight of your sleeping bag you then open the opportunity to reduce the backpack.

The Atmos is a good comfortable pack .. use it for a year and see what you might improve.. including size and load.
Note: similar range of sleeping bags/quilts as there are for backpacks. Need to identify what suits you and what temperatures you will be experiencing.

Hi Warin,

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure I'd get one!

The reason I asked about recommendations is that I have read through many reviews and websites that the Atmos is more designed for moderate loads, and my setup although not lightweight does appear to be quite a bit less than the 30-50lb that's stated for the Atmos...

Perhaps with food water, clothing and other heavy items I haven't even thought about I'll be closer to that weight..
Aussie_Camper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lamont » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 5:09 pm

Welcome along.
You'll first need to work out the volume of all your gear.
Especially as you say you don't want to get a sack bigger than what you need and are trying to avoid 'overkill'.
Otherwise it's all just largely guess work. You'll likely need a smaller sack as you buy lighter (and less voluminous) gear anyway and there's probably no way around that. Or your first rucky becomes your Winter one and you get a smaller one for summer?
All the best.
Last edited by Lamont on Tue 30 Mar, 2021 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 5:09 pm

I agree with the others, you have ordered a good quality bag to get you going.
As you tweak gear maybe you will want something different, maybe not. By the time you add fuel, food, water, clothes for a multiday walk, you will likely be creeping up a bit higher in weight than anticipated. The Atmos will carry a heavier load comfortably, so no pressure to minimise things yet until you work out what is important to you when out for a few days.

I had the women's equivalent, the Aura, for a few years and it served me well, whether my load was light or heavy. I would have held onto it, if I didnt lose 30kg and hip belt was too big. Oh and I also bought wrong torso size initially, but it still was comfy anyway!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aussie_Camper » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 5:19 pm

Moondog55 wrote:What Warin said
There's no real functional difference between a 58 litre pack and a 65 litre pack, and far better a bigger pack with everything inside it. Fit and comfort is the important thing with packs once the capacity is right.

Thanks for the reply Moondog.

Yes I remember a big part of buying the Atmos was to remove the lid and cinch it down but then to have the space when needed for winter camping for example. I also didn't like the idea of things hanging off the pack everywhere, I felt they were less protected.

Lamont wrote:Welcome along.
You'll first need to work out the volume of all your gear.
Especially as you say you don't want to get a sack bigger than what you need and are trying to avoid 'overkill'.
No-one can really say what volume you need unless they know the volume of your gear.
Baseweight (the accepted definition) is the weight of everything minus your water, food and fuel. So your true baseweight is quite a bit more than you quoted. The usual thing and the best thing to do first I'd say is stick all your gear in a box, packed the way you would in a rucksack (roughly)-do the sums. L x W x H and get a volume.
Weigh it when it's all loaded up as well. Allow about a kg of food per day and don't forget water weight. I usually factor on carrying 1.5L/1.5kg into the equation.
At least then you have a starting point. Otherwise it's all just largely guess work, which is fine if that's the way you want to go.
You'll likely need a smaller sack as you buy lighter (and less voluminous) gear anyway and there's probably no way around that. Or your first rucky becomes your Winter one and you get a smaller one for summer?
All the best.

Hi Lamont, yes I guess that's my problem I feel like I'm missing out a lot of gear I haven't thought of, as I have the Atmos on its way already I may pack everything in there and see how I go, apart from the obvious tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat and other listed, are there any other bulky items I'm not thinking of?

Ms_Mudd wrote:I agree with the others, you have ordered a good quality bag to get you going.
As you tweak gear maybe you will want something different, maybe not. By the time you add fuel, food, water, clothes for a multiday walk, you will likely be creeping up a bit higher in weight than anticipated. The Atmos will carry a heavier load comfortably, so no pressure to minimise things yet until you work out what is important to you when out for a few days.

I had the women's equivalent, the Aura, for a few years and it served me well, whether my load was light or heavy. I would have held onto it, if I didnt lose 30kg and hip belt was too big. Oh and I also bought wrong torso size initially, but it still was comfy anyway!

Thanks Ms_Mudd that helps a lot, I did a lot of research and the Atmos came up time and time again as a quality pack. I guess when I weighed everything I just panicked and thought in my head I had overcompensated (a big reason I didn't buy the Osprey Aether). It seems like I'm probably forgetting a number of items that will add weight!
Aussie_Camper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eremophila » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 8:31 pm

Better to start bigger and have excess room, than not enough. Spare room in your pack weighs nothing.

Once you’re satisfied the pack is actually too large for your needs - second-hand Osprey packs aren’t difficult to sell on this forum. Heck, mine was bought from a forum member. So you can recoup some of your outlay and purchase something smaller.

And then you’ll never need to buy any more gear..... right guys? :wink: :lol:
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Aussie_Camper » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 9:11 pm

Eremophila wrote:Better to start bigger and have excess room, than not enough. Spare room in your pack weighs nothing.

Once you’re satisfied the pack is actually too large for your needs - second-hand Osprey packs aren’t difficult to sell on this forum. Heck, mine was bought from a forum member. So you can recoup some of your outlay and purchase something smaller.

And then you’ll never need to buy any more gear..... right guys? :wink: :lol:

That's a great idea, does the lifetime warranty get passed onto the new owner?
Aussie_Camper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eremophila » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 9:50 pm

Not sure... I think maybe if you have the receipt then yes. Others will know.
Eremophila

Postby EGM » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:06 pm

Other bulky items can include clothing, particularly for cold weather and waterproofs depending on what you have.
If your pack is rated for 20kg it should be very comfy at 10 or 15kg. There are things you can do such as leaving your sleeping bag and clothes uncompressed to fill up the empty space so things aren't rattling around if it turns out your pack is too large.
Most importantly enjoy the process, refining gear over time is alot of fun and very rewarding.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aussie_Camper » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:21 pm

EGM wrote:Other bulky items can include clothing, particularly for cold weather and waterproofs depending on what you have.
If your pack is rated for 20kg it should be very comfy at 10 or 15kg. There are things you can do such as leaving your sleeping bag and clothes uncompressed to fill up the empty space so things aren't rattling around if it turns out your pack is too large.
Most importantly enjoy the process, refining gear over time is alot of fun and very rewarding.

Thanks EGM, yes my next challenge is waterproofing and on searching the forums feel like I've walked onto a battlefield of pack liners vs dry bags!
Aussie_Camper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby EGM » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:51 pm

I was refering to waterproof clothing but my 2 cents on that debate. Just do whatever you want. At the end of the day as long as your gear stays dry it doesn't natter how.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rob1970 » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 7:15 am

Hi Jack,

Other's have given really good advice.
When you're starting out, it's quite daunting on what you really need... we've all been there.

Putting a gear list together is really handy (for me, it's essential).
Once you've got a basic list, you just can fine tune it to suit you're style.

A couple of weeks ago, we did a hike and had sub-zero temps over night.
The gear I took was near on perfect for me... as in not too much and not too little.

Here's my gear list (as a guide for what you may need)
https://lighterpack.com/r/fvkwsm
rob1970
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tazz81 » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 7:33 am

I double bag! Take the pack liner regardless and then put everything into colour coded dry bags. Makes it so much easier to find everything you need when it’s organised. Also I can throw it all on the ground when setting up/packing up and don’t have to worry about mud. Last year I fell into a creek on the Port Davey (“bridge” was rotten in the middle) - by double bagging everything was dry and my pack was quite buoyant too!
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Aussie_Camper » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 8:10 am

rob1970 wrote:Hi Jack,

Other's have given really good advice.
When you're starting out, it's quite daunting on what you really need... we've all been there.

Putting a gear list together is really handy (for me, it's essential).
Once you've got a basic list, you just can fine tune it to suit you're style.

A couple of weeks ago, we did a hike and had sub-zero temps over night.
The gear I took was near on perfect for me... as in not too much and not too little.

Here's my gear list (as a guide for what you may need)
https://lighterpack.com/r/fvkwsm

That's very helpful, thanks Rob. I couldn't see any other dry dry bags listed so I'm assuming just the pack liner? Do you use stuff sacks or dry bags also?

Tazz81 wrote:I double bag! Take the pack liner regardless and then put everything into colour coded dry bags. Makes it so much easier to find everything you need when it’s organised. Also I can throw it all on the ground when setting up/packing up and don’t have to worry about mud. Last year I fell into a creek on the Port Davey (“bridge” was rotten in the middle) - by double bagging everything was dry and my pack was quite buoyant too!

Hi Tazz, yes still in a dilemma about this as its obviously very important, only barrier is cost. What are your thoughts about pack liner and then stuff sacks? Not waterproof but from an organisation point of view?

Another idea I was thinking about is to get a smaller pack liner (50L) for the top compartment for clothes and sleeping gear (atmos can be seperated), with tent on top of that outside the liner and then keeping lighter stuff that doesn't need water proofing down in the sleeping bag compartment. I can then use ziplock or a 1L dry bag for first aid, hygiene etc.

I like the idea of having two sections as its very likely my tent will be wet in the morning and stuffing that in the sleeping compartment below my dry stuff seems like the smart thing to do. Having a large pack liner would make that second compartment redundant.
Aussie_Camper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rob1970 » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 8:40 am

Hi Jack,

My stuff sacks are just the ones that items come with.
A small mix of DCF and zip lock's keep food and smaller items sorted.
Yes, I just use the pack liner if the weather dictates.
rob1970
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Al M » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 1:48 am

Your initial base weight isn’t correct as it’s missing a lot of sundry items like toiletries, clothing, torch, water container etc. Given your gear it will more likely be well above 9-10kg without consumables. There are many online baseweight calculators to help you.

Some gear examples to reduce the weight would be like Big Agnes, MSR or Nemo tents around 1-1.2kg, down sleeping bag or quilt around 0 C at 600g, 1.2kg Osprey Exos 45 to 58L packs etc. Without such weight gear you would be struggling to achieve a true baseweight of less than 9kg if sticking to currently listed stuff.

I have Osprey Exos 38, 45, 58 and Lumina 45L and find the Exos 45L to be the most useful, comfortable and durable for 3-5 day hikes with 15kg loads, baseweight of 9kg.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 6:56 am

I usually have all my gear in a 70l sea to summit waterproof ultrasil pack liner. I do segment some of my gear. Clothing goes in a water resistant Sil dry sack , med/toiletries/electrics in plastic big zip loc (Each segmented by another zip loc), Tent in its bag.

Everything else is loose in the pack (even the sleeping bag).

I find the pack liner is ample protection from rain. And even a accidental quick dunk in a creek.

If I'm doing a river crossing where I expect the pack would get partially submerged Il wrap my sleeping bag in a garbage bag just before the crossing for extra protection.

I do water pressure test the sil packliner before big trips as I find they eventually (12-18 months of heavy use) spring a leak around the seams.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aussie_Camper » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 8:38 am

rob1970 wrote:Hi Jack,

My stuff sacks are just the ones that items come with.
A small mix of DCF and zip lock's keep food and smaller items sorted.
Yes, I just use the pack liner if the weather dictates.

Thanks Rob, that sounds like the general consensus, pack liner with some additional bags for organisation, or just the pack liner for quick overnighter with little chance of rain.

Al M wrote:Your initial base weight isn’t correct as it’s missing a lot of sundry items like toiletries, clothing, torch, water container etc. Given your gear it will more likely be well above 9-10kg without consumables. There are many online baseweight calculators to help you.

Some gear examples to reduce the weight would be like Big Agnes, MSR or Nemo tents around 1-1.2kg, down sleeping bag or quilt around 0 C at 600g, 1.2kg Osprey Exos 45 to 58L packs etc. Without such weight gear you would be struggling to achieve a true baseweight of less than 9kg if sticking to currently listed stuff.

I have Osprey Exos 38, 45, 58 and Lumina 45L and find the Exos 45L to be the most useful, comfortable and durable for 3-5 day hikes with 15kg loads, baseweight of 9kg.

Thanks Al, that's helpful as I knew I was missing some items, 10kg base with 2-5kg food and water on top is something I can live with.

Would love to be able to upgrade my gear to lightweight but cost is a barrier, especially as I haven't even done my first overnighter yet. From what I've read with my current base weight and the bags you've listed it would be very uncomfortable hence looking at more traditional packs that will carry the weight better.

I will be looking to upgrade my gear slowly though, don't worry fully open to being converted to the lightweight way :lol:
Aussie_Camper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 9:18 am

Aussie_Camper wrote:I will be looking to upgrade my gear slowly though, don't worry fully open to being converted to the lightweight way :lol:

Do you overnighters with the gear you have, you will gain experience that is priceless.

Keep an eye on the market place on this sight - some good bargains with weight reduction, but takes time.. as you have time then that is not a problem.

The last thing you need to upgrade is the backpack as the other upgrades will impact the backpack choice.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Al M » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 12:13 am

Warin wrote:
Aussie_Camper wrote:I will be looking to upgrade my gear slowly though, don't worry fully open to being converted to the lightweight way :lol:

Do you overnighters with the gear you have, you will gain experience that is priceless.

Keep an eye on the market place on this sight - some good bargains with weight reduction, but takes time.. as you have time then that is not a problem.

The last thing you need to upgrade is the backpack as the other upgrades will impact the backpack choice.

Not correct, the Exos pack range are quite capable and comfortable enough from my own experience using them for last 10 years with 9-15kg loads and immediately achieve 0.5 - 1.0kg less over heavier build pack choices, contributing to one of the five main items were significant weight savings can easily be achieved with about 3-4kg less in total (pack, sleep system, stove, tent) game changing enough for physical effort up big hills, long distance and extra consumables for staying out there longer.

Keep an eye out in Gumtree under search category hiking - sports - camping there’s a lot more good near used good gear at 30-50% of new gear.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Joynz » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 7:16 am

I suggest going in an overnight bush walk with what you’ve got - as per others’ suggestions. If you’re near Melbourne then Berripmo is a great choice.

Regarding the storage of a wet tent in your pack - if the tent fly is wet (but it’s no longer raining), I wipe it over with a microfiber cloth to remove the excess water.

If I have to pack up a wet fly, I separate it from the inner and put it in a separate waterproof bag. I would then carry that bag in the outside pocket of my pack, if possible.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 6:49 pm

I spent an inordinate amount of time researching packs (and my other gear) before settling on the one I have. I was looking for one pack to do it all - ie, approx 35-70 litres, with a carrying capacity up to low 20kgs (and maybe a little more occasionally - eg, if I ever take a packrafting trip!). I wanted it to be light but comfortable - not UL to the point where comfort suffers. Durable enough that I wouldn't be having to throw and replace any time soon - environmental and financial reasons. Attachment points for those times where I stress it beyond its volume capacity - only see this happening if I stay out several nights in winter or packrafting. Large side-pockets, detachable lid... Anyway, I had all kinds of lists going and eventually settled on the Granite Gear Blaze 60.. Have only used a couple of times so far but happy with it.

For all that, I would never spend so much time researching again and would instead just take the plunge - it's so easy to get caught up in all the offerings and reviews ... before you know it, you've become a 'gear junkie' .. Fun in a way, but also a bit of a waste of time and I reckon it can infiltrate the whole experience in a bit of a negative way - where you start to worry that everything has to be perfect ... I'm certain that you'd be happy with any of the reputable packs out there (unless there is an issue with fit, which is unlikely).

I should add, that had money been no issue, I’d have gone the Seek Outside Divide 4500 with the extras. Was going to come in at around $750-800 though, from memory!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment