Hiking boots - women's wide foot.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hiking boots - women's wide foot.

Postby Stew63 » Fri 02 Apr, 2021 6:17 pm

My wife is looking at purchasing her first pair of hiking boots and was just wanting any advice that might be useful in her selection. She has a wider foot than normal.
One of the main purposes of the boots is for a 14day traverse of the Japanese Alps (when borders reopen) - which are very high, steep and very rocky. In the deep valleys there
are lots of narrow duckboards made of lashed bamboo poles in the valleys which can get very slippery when wet so need good traction on those as well as rocky river
crossings. They will also be used for other hikes throughout Japan. Budjet is open but obviously she wants to try them on in store. Size is about Women's UK8.

Any advise or suggestions would be most welcome.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Hiking boots - women's wide foot.

Postby Bam » Fri 02 Apr, 2021 10:36 pm

My wife has a pair of Topo Athletic Trailventure boots which she is very pleased with.
They are a wide-fit lightweight style of hiking boot so I’m not certain if they are suitable for your wife’s actual needs but might be worth a look.
To date she’s completed over 700km of on-trail usage carrying a full pack & they’ve held up very well but probably only have another 300km in them.
I think that they have two versions, standard & waterproof.
Currently Injinji Performance store online (the wholesaler) has a 20% Easter sale on, not sure if that model is included though.
Here’s a review of the WP version: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... -wp-womens
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Joynz » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 7:14 am

I think there was a recent thread on this topic - suggest searching the forum.

Keen does wide boots. Vasque too. I have both in a wide fitting - and the Keens seem wider - Keen is also reviewed in the link posted by Bam, above.

For me, length is just as important. I’m around a size 8.5 in regular shoes but my boots need to be a 10.5 (to allow for my inner soles and a couple of pairs of socks).

Remember that feet swell as the walk proceeds and if it’s hot. Try the boots on with the socks etc they will be worn with.

Don’t pussyfoot around when trying them on: stamp feet in them vigorously - and try to find a ramp to replicate going down a slope.

Consider the cushioning too. I need boots with good underfoot cushioning (plus I add insoles with more cushioning and arch support).

Some boots transfer the feeling of the trail underfoot too much for my liking (e.g. can feel rocks etc).

Finally, if the women’s boots aren’t wide enough, try the equivalent size in the men’s version - they will generally be wider.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby matagi » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 8:58 am

I second the suggestion to try men's boots if women's boots don't feel wide enough - that's how I ended up with the men's version of my new La Sportiva Trango Treks.

I note your location says you are in Eltham. Bogong in Little Bourke St are a good place to go for boots, they even have a little sloping ramp thing you can test your boots on to make sure your toes aren't smashing into the end of the boot on downhil slopes.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Eremophila » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 3:10 pm

I’m on my third pair of Keen in the men’s model. The women’s model has a tapered front end whilst the men’s is more of a square toe box, it’s made an enormous difference for me.
Eremophila

Postby Chris » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 4:15 pm

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Scarpas which seemed perfect, trying them on after a long day walk so my feet should have been at maximum size. I didn't need them immediately, but also have the problem of finding boots which are wide enough, so wanted to have them available when their predecessors were closer to their end. Maybe 6 months later I decided to start breaking them in, and was dismayed to find that I could hardly get them on. That was an expensive and frustrating lesson learned. I thought it was unusual, but only a few days ago a walking mate told me she had realised that her boot size had gone up significantly in the last few years.

Of course I'm not advising leaving it until the last minute, but with the uncertainty of borders opening it may be a bit too early to buy for an overseas walk.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 5:27 pm

I agree with other suggestions of men's boots. Also the length as has been mentioned is important, longer than necessary equals intact toenails.

My foot is flat and wide and buy an already wide made runner in the even wider men's sizes, I am not a boot wearer though, so can't help you with brand suggestions.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eremophila » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 8:13 pm

Re length - the women’s size 8 in the model I wear, is an EU39, which is what I wear in other shoes.
The men’s size 8 is EU40.5. That length has worked perfectly for walking for me.
Eremophila

Postby Stew63 » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the really useful replies. Lots of helpful information. Yeah Chris regarding travel we are currently looking at travelling Sept~Dec 2022 - if all goes well with borders reopening. (This will be my 18th trip to Japan)
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 3:46 pm

Is the width the same variation from standard over the entire foot? And what about depth and shape?
My feet are EEE at the front, with a B heel, high arches, high instep. It makes finding well-fitting footwear almost impossible. Plus their shape means that Keens, while wide enough at the front, are as painful to wear as Scarpas.

Hit every store you can and try on every single model of every single brand.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Stew63 » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 4:48 pm

Not sure why hiking boots can't be designed with a custom inner - bit like a ski boot. The inner sleeve is carefully heat molded to your own foot then slips into the boot. Perfect!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment