Condensation on sleeping bag

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Condensation on sleeping bag

Postby Montiemoo_123 » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 7:49 pm

I wondered if anyone had any advice. Every time I go hiking I wake with a damp sleeping bag where as the person sleeping next to me be it my son or my husbands bag remain dry. I assume the moisture is coming from me and condensing when it hits the cold outer layer of the bag?? Is there anyway to reduce or prevent this?
We have a four season tent and this happens even if we leave fly open to ventilate as much as possible. It’s very frustrating for multi days as my bag gets progressively wetter and less warm as it’s hard to dry some days. Thansk
Montiemoo_123
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Condensation on sleeping bag

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi, Montiemoo_123

That's a tough one, I used to suffer from the same issue, though it went away.. likely some body process etc changed as I got older. As you mentioned it's a very individual thing. Some people are prone to it others aren't.

Now solutions..
Linked is a very good thread that offers some options. Jdeks posts may be particularly helpful. No magic bullet but some things worth trying. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28061&p=353123
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Al M » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 11:04 pm

Do you do anything different to those sleeping next to you like clothing, layers, different sleeping bag specs and mattress, a warm or cold sleeper, body mass, sleeping with head covered breathing into bag etc?

There are a many online topics like here in this forum by posters Zen and James comments (you may be sleeping too hot sweating with too much clothing so instead try to sleep with less clothing layers) might be why https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... on-tricks/
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby legend » Wed 07 Apr, 2021 12:51 pm

Condensation can occur when there is a significant difference in temps and humidity between inside the bag and the outside.
If temps are above freezing (5º and higher) I rarely find any condensation on the outside of the bag. When lower, I regularly find it damp (never wet). The higher the humidity, the greater the chance of condensation.
Over Easter camped I camped high on the Main Range (Kosci NP), there was a slight breeze with outside temps to around 5º. The air was exceptionally dry and no condensation/dew occurred on the tent and inside.
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby jobell » Wed 07 Apr, 2021 2:23 pm

After my dramas a few years ago on the Heysen Trail in winter I haven’t got a heap of walking in, but when I have I have used a VBL that Undercling Mike made me and it changed my sleep system forever. I sleep in a lot less clothing now and am conscious of the moisture from my body - once or twice I have woken in damp but still warm thermals inside it. The good thing is they dry fairly easily, still keep me warm when damp and my sleeping Bag has so far stayed dry. I am not sure it is the definitive solution to a very humid night as I am yet to camp in those exact same conditions, but i have slept both beside the NSW south coast and on Wilson’s Prom in a LOT of rain in this new arrangement and it has kept me warm and my sleeping bag dry. It has also meant that I can carry a lighter sleeping bag as I have more confidence in staying warm. Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby commando » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 2:05 am

If you could elaborate what type of bag is being used and what clothes are worn in the bag it may be easier to pinpoint
a solution
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment