Small hiking packs for beginner teens

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Small hiking packs for beginner teens

Postby FionaShedden » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 4:27 pm

I am wanting to purchase several hiking packs for our scout group as the "donated" ones we have are all old, huge (70-90L), heavy and not in great condition.

I have a very limited budget as I will have to fundraise to cover the costs. I want them for teens (11-18YO kids) so there is a huge range of heights, but think it's unlikely I'm going to find adjustable harnesses for the pricing I'll be looking at. I'd also ideally like something not OTT heavy.

I am thinking of a smallish pack 45-55L, as the longest hikes we'd use them for are 2 nights and I want the kids to learn to pack lightly ( but also know they likely won't have tiny sleeping bags and mats).

I have experience with the black wolf B-Lite 55 which I have seen for cheapest $133 each( and I normally can get a discount as I have been buying quite a bit of new gear for the group). I think this is a great entry level pack and at 1.3kg is not too heavy, but wondering if there are any other suggestions from the vast experience here!
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Small hiking packs for beginner teens

Postby Amahb » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 5:36 pm

My kids all use Osprey lumina. They are light 800 grams or less, and can be purchased under $200 if you look around.
My 10 year old uses a 45lt size xs. 12yr old 60lt size s, and my 14yr old is just about to upgrade from a small also. Note my 14 yr old is a boy and is very rough on the pack and its is pretty tough contrary to what you may read on the internet. He will go to the mens version size medium i think.

I would recommend you dont get the 45lt versions as they are a bit small for kids that may not have small ultralight type of equipment.
Amahb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 6:00 pm

I have no idea of the cost nor whether this would be what you are after but One Planet rents ruckies.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 8:41 pm

Osprey Renns. It is the bargain offering from Osprey at about $140. Backed by Ospreys excellent warranty and very robust packs.

We added shock cord to the available points on the exterior which is great for stashing jumpers quickly.

Don't get the male version the Rook though as the torsos smallest setting won't offer the size range needed for 11-18yo.
The Renn works for me, my 13yo daughter (whose pack it actually is) and my 11yo son too. One size, but adjustable back length.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 10:00 pm

Sounds great. The ideas above are probably OK if budget is tight.

I would go for simplicity, avoid the extra straps/pockets/features. It is all stuff that will wear out mainly, plus overcomplicate their experience.

There is a reason outdoor education gear is heavier, it's tough.

Something like a OnePlanet Canopy.

Get in touch and ask if they or WE can do a discount, especially as you want to buy several.

Summit Gear has a long lead time atm unfortunately.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment