Newbie needing opinions on tent, sleeping bag, mat & pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Newbie needing opinions on tent, sleeping bag, mat & pack

Postby AdventurousBean » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi all,

I’m about to head out to the Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk on my first multi-day hike in a few weeks. As it’s my first go at a multiday I need to buy a fair bit of equipment and don’t want to (nor do I have the money too) go gung-ho and buy the lightest and most compact equipment out there. However I do want to get the best I can afford, with the idea of replacing gear with better equipment later on if I start doing more multiday hikes (which I’m sure I will).

I live in regional QLD so unable to see a range of products in person apart from at Anconda almost 2 hours away, so had to rely on online reviews (which seem limited for the more budget priced gear). I was hoping I could get peoples thoughts on here regarding the gear I’m thinking of purchasing below. Or if there are any suggested alternatives that are the same price or a little bit more.

Tent:
https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equipme ... BP90141971 - I found a review for the 2 person tent by Australian Geographic which seemed good, but mountain design tents aren’t ones that I’ve seen recommended much.

Sleeping Bag:
https://www.glampmycamp.com.au/oztrail- ... eeping-bag - I can get this one at a local camping shop for $110.00. As I’m not expecting extreme cold, so was thinking this one should be fine for now.

Sleeping Matt:
https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90030071

Pack size:
I have ordered two Ospery packs (Aura AG 65 Womens Pack & Ariel Plus 60 Womens Pack) through Wildfire as they supply return labels etc straight up & want to try on the packs before I buy one. I decided on the capacity as I would like to be able to use it for travelling overseas and also hiking in colder weather with bulky gear and when the capacity is not needed I could leave my sleeping bag uncompacted etc. However, I am fairly short (160 cm) and I’m second-guessing weather I should look at the 50 L instead. I'm going with a friend, so we will be sharing the load with cooking gear etc. But, also aware my gear may not be so compact as I start out.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
AdventurousBean
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Newbie needing opinions on tent, sleeping bag, mat & pac

Postby Casparvitch » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 7:28 pm

Have you considered renting gear? Things like tents, sleeping bags etc. can be expensive if you're buying them all at once, even if not going for the lightweight choices.

If you do get into this hobby, it might be more efficient to rent while you gradually buy up the kit you want (after you've learned what that is!).

Edit:
Quick google found hire from the Sunshine coast bushwalking club (might only be for group trips):

https://www.scbwc.com/gear-lists/

There's also this company:

https://www.outdooradventureaustralia.com/hiking
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby AdventurousBean » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 8:02 pm

I have considered renting, but there is no where near me that I've found that rents gear and due to time constraints with travel plans I don't have the option of travelling to the sunny coast or brissy before or after.

I don't mind spending the money on some cheaper gear that will do for the qld climate at first and gradually upgrading, as although this is my first multi day hike carrying my home on my back, I've done a lots hiking over 2/3 days but just gone back to the same camp ground. I could use the same gear, but it's bulky and heavy compared ones made specifically for hiking.

Edit, thank you for the links.
AdventurousBean
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Casparvitch » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 9:02 pm

What sleeping bag and mat situation do you have currently? Are you and your friend both getting new gear & would you be sharing a tent? Usually the suggestion is to buy a pack last, after you know the volume of all your gear.

In terms of the tent, something like this can be relatively cheap, but very light (poles bought separately):

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/six-moon-designs-six-moon-designs-skyscape-scout-t.html
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joynz » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 9:29 pm

I think a 60 or 65 litre pack is a good size and will allow you to do various lengths of multi day walks.

Some of the hikers who hike for a week or two with ‘with just a 40 litre pack’ may be tieing things on the outside, or just bringing a tarp instead of a tent, or maybe not bringing a stove.

In QLD, I imagine you need less room than we do in Vic or Tassie though - no need to bring ‘just in case’ thermals or an insulated mat perhaps?

Cheaper gear may be heavier or bulkier - but you’ve got to start somewhere!

Check the ‘comfort’ rating of the bag. Women should use the comfort rating as a guide for purchase. Often, the temperature quoted is the extreme or survival rating - you will live but you’ll be cold at that temperature and won’t sleep well.

I would look at Snowys online too. They have a good range of blow up air mats which tend to be lighter and more comfy than the old traditional self inflating mats. Wildfire will have those too but Snowys can be cheaper.

I love the Wilfpdfire return coupons. If they allow those for mats, it might be worth trying a couple (or more).
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joynz » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 10:18 pm

1ECE3928-BAF5-4BE3-82A5-806DC41C09AE.png

This Facebook Buy, sell, swap hiking equipment has two Osprey packs for sale - one 65 litres for under $200
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 8:10 am

I think you have made reasonable choices considering the walk you want to do and at that price range (particularly for the sleeping bag) it gives you the ability to upgrade later should you want to do more multi day walks in the future.

Tent. Looks good. Mountain designs is reasonable quality (or used to be) the description and stats read well. If your in a sheltered spot you can get away with the minimum pegs. But make sure you can keep the the vent open. Vestibule..it's a bit hard to see how big it is but should be enough to fit your pack. Cooking etc there is picnic tables at the camp sites. Only hassle is it pitches inner first which can be annoying if it's raining but nothing a quick mop can't fix before you put your stuff in

Sleeping bag. Its very light for a budget bag so I wouldn't expect significant warmth from it, do you have a down jacket? It's a great way to boost the bag with thermals etc for your legs.

Mat. I don't know much about Denali sleeping mats they have no temparture or r rating I could see. The mat is actually the one item id consider spending more on as it's critical for your sleeping comfort and warmth. Thermarest xlite is still the king of mats for most conditions in my opinion. Nemo tensor is cheaper, good but less durable. Many people like exped mats but I haven't tried them.

Pack. Id stick with the 60 or 65l range for now as your gear will be a bit more bulky and your likely still making choices on what you need and don't need. Best to bring it until you know.

Sub 50l is for people who have spent the $$ on compact high end gear and have their equipment choices fairly dialed in as a complimentary and integrated system. 50l is perfectly doable for multi day even in winter conditions without any equipment or comfort sacrifices but takes some time and experience to get it right. Invest in a packliner. Sea to summit ones are reasonable.

You are already a regular walker so from the sounds of it this multiday trip won't be a once off. With that in mind I'd be more inclined to purchase than rent.

As mentioned the mat I'd consider a higher end choice. The sleeping bag should be ok for now boosted by a jacket but it will be limited to warmish Qld conditions.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby AdventurousBean » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 12:55 pm

Thanks guys for your responses and advice.

Casparvitch wrote:What sleeping bag and mat situation do you have currently? Are you and your friend both getting new gear & would you be sharing a tent?

When not in the camper, I use a swag with foam mattress and a old unrated sleeping bag that is extremely bulky and would take up half my pack. My friend already has gear she can use and using separate tents is preferable to both of us.

Joynz wrote:Check the ‘comfort’ rating of the bag. Women should use the comfort rating as a guide for purchase. Often, the temperature quoted is the extreme or survival rating - you will live but you’ll be cold at that temperature and won’t sleep well.

Good point, I've been looking at comfort rating (thinking around 0C as currently temperatures drop to about 13C) when online, but the one in the shop just had a min temp rating of -5C and no comfort rating - maybe the sale price and 'last one' written on the tag got my impulse buying mind on the go.
I still may go with the oztrail as I have plenty of thermals etc and won't have the opportunity to do another multiday over the winter months. However I have always stayed away from oztrail in the past. If I did up my budget to $200 ish, would anyone have any recommendations?

wildwanderer wrote:You are already a regular walker so from the sounds of it this multiday trip won't be a once off. With that in mind I'd be more inclined to purchase than rent.
As mentioned the mat I'd consider a higher end choice. The sleeping bag should be ok for now boosted by a jacket but it will be limited to warmish Qld conditions.

I doubt (hope) it won't be a once off. I've been wanting to get into multiday hiking for years but didn't know anyone that was keen to wear their home on their back. Also looking to join some groups, as considered solo multiday hiking, but not sure how comfortable I would feel at night.

In regard to the sleeping matt, I have heeded your advice and looking into more expensive warmer options, as I can still it during summer anyway. The Thermarest xlite is a little out of range, given the other gear I will be buying. I am happy to go as far as a Nemo Tensor, particularly as the reviews and comments I've seen on other threads look good. But I have also been looking at the Thermarest Trail Light mat https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/therm- ... S224-13272, which is larger and heavier by 315g, but at $100 cheaper is tempting. Does anyone have any opinions on the Thermarest Trail Light?

I will stop second guessing myself and stick with the 60/65 L pack as suggested. Didn't mind buying new, as been needing to replace my old heavier travel bag for a while now.
AdventurousBean
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Casparvitch » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 1:45 pm

In terms of more reputable sleeping bag manufacturers, One Planet has an outdoor education series (read: inexpensive and durable) of sleeping bags for an affordable price:

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/sac/

I am unsure how much more value this bag would give you over the oztrail though.
Alternatively in summer here (Vic) I've taken non-walker friends on walks where they carried a light blanket and thermals - the oztrail should be better than that!

I agree with wildwanderer that a nice mat would be a good investment, particularly as the tent and backpack look like good purchases. That mat looks warm enough and should be reasonably comfortable. Personally I think the lower weight of the tensor and extra comfort would be worth the 100 bucks, but that's for you to balance!
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby AdventurousBean » Mon 19 Apr, 2021 7:01 pm

Casparvitch wrote:In terms of more reputable sleeping bag manufacturers, One Planet has an outdoor education series (read: inexpensive and durable) of sleeping bags for an affordable price... Personally I think the lower weight of the tensor and extra comfort would be worth the 100 bucks, but that's for you to balance!

Thank you for the suggestion, I hadn't even looked at One Planet bags. After reading reviews on the OZtrail versus the One Planet bags I've decided to up my budget and go with your suggestion. Also went with the Nemo Tensor for a matt as a good night sleep on a comfortable matt will probably help with the day ahead.

Looks like I've done what I always do and aim for the budget options, do research, up my budget again.. and repeat. On the good side is I typically end up with something I'm happy with for a long time.

Thanks for taking the time out your day to offer advice, it's really appreciated!
AdventurousBean
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby commando » Mon 19 Apr, 2021 10:36 pm

Fraser Island was the only place i have slept naked under the stars all night and wasn't cold.
The level of equipment you will need is in BIG W.
Tents $14
Bag $28
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment