Overbag for layering with a quilt in Tassie winter ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Overbag for layering with a quilt in Tassie winter ?

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 2:41 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for a lightweight, synthetic sleeping bag to pair with a quilt to boost a winter sleeping setup without breaking the bank ?

I have tried liners and find them a bother to avoid getting twisted up in them, so looking for an external layer to maximise my comfort and warmth. Current setup is: S2S lightweight insulated mat, TierGear Quenda -10 quilt with sewn in footbox and neck baffle. That was warm enough sleeping in a hut with snow outside, but I haven't tried minus temperatures in a tent yet.

Ideally an overbag would eliminate any draught from moving around with the quilt, and add a hood which would make a massive comfort difference. I'm also considering a bivy bag or similar which could cover the bag and mat together which I imagine would work well.

At the end of the day I have a very heavy (2.5Kg) winter bag I could drag out but I'm hoping there's a lighter more versatile option ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Overbag for layering with a quilt in Tassie winter ?

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 3:08 pm

An overquilt might also work, this is what I do. A quilt over my LW sleeping bag but same idea.
Do you have a down or other hood/balaclava already?
I trialled the XL version of this bag before selling it on here about a year ago
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/au/tr ... aspx/teal/
It worked quite well but is NOT windproof, it would add about 5C to a quilts lower rating, maybe more depending on circumstances, you might need to experiment with ways to secure the quilt inside the bag and that is assuming the bag is large enough to allow full lofting of the inner; usually not a problem with quilts perhaps.
You will need a warmer mat for cold weather so think about adding in a CCF pad, short for torso only, or full length; if on snow then full length would be my advice
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks Moondog, it's the one you sold that put the idea in my head I'm sure. I just checked again and realised you can order in Australia so I'll look at it again, shame I can't find the XL version anywhere as it's a great price / weight.

I should have added I have a full fleece balaclava, neck warmer, merino beanie, CCF full and half pads etc depending on the weather. In the snow I'd be carrying a huge mont icicle jacket too which probably weighs more than the sleeping bag, it's just not comfortable to sleep in.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 4:09 pm

Here is some inspiration for you

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=30818

I think that one adds 10C to the under layer and I may get a chance to use it up the High Plains soon.
If you want to MYOG we do have some Thinsulate still for sale cheap or some APEX not cheap at all
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stew63 » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 7:42 pm

When you start asking/thinking about buying a bag for your quilt I think it's time to start thinking about a good light(ish) weight sleeping bag. I invested in a 900gm Western Mountaineering Versalite sleeping bag (-12C/Comfort) and it's my forever sleeping bag - down/warmth is adjustable too. I also have a custom made quilt by UnderClingMike which is fantastic but I found just not suited to the cold Japanese Alps in spring/autumn.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 14 Apr, 2021 7:52 pm

That would be great but I can't afford to splash out on another sleeping bag of that quality, it's a case of adding some warmth cheaply or just carrying the old school bag with a weight penalty.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 7:07 am

I can see problems with trying to put, and keep, the quilt in place inside a bag, and with finding a readily available economical bag that will be big enough. If the bag isn't big enough, you will feel very, very restricted, and the quilt is likely to twist up and lose effectiveness as you try to move around.

If the strap system on your quilt is good enough to allow it to be closed up against draughts, I would be more inclined to look at using an additional, synthetic, quilt over your existing quilt.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 7:43 am

Stry has a valid point but it could be done.
You could also use the cheap sleeping bag as a donor to make the overquilt or more simply open the zipper all the way and use it as-is by folding the hood back and keeping it there with a couple of hand stitches. You can hand stitch straps/elastic on easily enough
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 8:33 am

Part of the reason I'd like to find a cheapish sleeping bag is so I won't be worried about modifying it if need be :wink:

The last option is to make one, but by the time I buy all the materials and make a few mistakes it's probably not an economical route. I'm also wider across the chest than ever so I know it's going to need to be a wide fitting bag.

In either case I feel like there's probably a way to make a few holes in the overbag to accommodate the quilt straps, or make some sort of custom fastening using the same clips as the quilt. Because I don't use a liner I'm convinced I need to use a bag rather than a second quilt because that still leaves my back directly on the pad, and I'd rather overlap the open back of the quilt completely.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 8:51 am

PM incoming
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 15 Apr, 2021 10:16 am

I would second moondog and look at a warmer mat. I walked the OT mid winter a couple of years ago and was warm in a -10 quilt with a down hoodie on, maybe a bit too warm. Exped winterlite mat.

You could also see if you can find a second hand bag like the sts traveller bags and use your quilt over the top.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Fri 16 Apr, 2021 1:40 pm

I sleep naked at home but on snow I have found that the best solution for me (apart from a well insulated mat, VERY important...) was to wear my LW puffy jacket and pants. Aldi twice a year will have their version of the jacket for $60-70 (can't remember exactly) and I think they also have LW insulated pants. Great for getting up for the midnight pee and for tossers and turners like me.
These sort of pants (great around camp too)
https://www.amazon.com.au/Thermal-Water ... S3LQ&psc=1
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 27 Apr, 2021 10:27 am

I dug through the parts bin full of unrealised projects and dreams and found a piece of climashield apex 2.5oz that I got from a dutchwaregear myog pillow kit I never made. Laying it out between the mat and quilt, it would make a perfect 'underquilt' that would seal up the gap in the quilt. Combined with a lightweight liner I can cut up I'm thinking I can make a hybrid insulated lower-only liner and pillow pocket. Much better feel than sleeping against the mat, and a little insulation will go a long way because it will trap the air so much better than just the mat.

Any suggestions or additions ?

20210427_100650.jpg
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 10:43 pm

While that can work the insulation itself is very fragile without a shell on it.
Fine for comfort but it doesn't add much to the R-value of the pad.
Have you considered layering a cheap and LW synthetic sleeping bag inside the quilt
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BarryK » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 12:49 pm

Why not just put everything, mattress and quilt, inside one of those emergency survival bags?

Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392500985480

...maybe not that one, but some are breathable. I own the SOL bag which is breathable, and I have used it over my sleeping bag:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400519549132

...perhaps there is an extra-large size, so mattress could go inside also.

Comment: I used mine a few times, but didn't really feel it was keeping me warmer. Perhaps it was, slightly.
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 2:48 pm

Moondog55 wrote:While that can work the insulation itself is very fragile without a shell on it.

I was going to sew it into a lightweight liner, and all up it would only weigh probably 250 grams. I've ordered some clips to match the quilt so I can sew something custom, and I'll have a look at the options. There's a large light synthetic bag on marketplace but it's a bit expensive for a trial.

BarryK wrote:Why not just put everything, mattress and quilt, inside one of those emergency survival bags?

I thought about this but it seems like any decent bivy is too heavy and I don't think those lightweight ones will last as long.

At the end of the day I'm probably overthinking this and I should just wear the thermals or jacket I usually carry but barely use. Or save up and buy a decent insulated mat.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 2:55 pm

CCF cost little and don't weigh that much and adding one really does make a difference.
While I usually say that the synthetic goes on the outside for moisture management a LW one that takes the place of a liner can give a real 10C boost
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/au/tr ... aspx/teal/
Personally I'd use that APEX for an insulated waistcoat/vest and go with CCF
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 3:07 pm

Moondog55 wrote:While I usually say that the synthetic goes on the outside for moisture management

That's pretty much what I was after. I'm one of those people that ends up with a layer of condensation on the outer/upper layer of my bag.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 19 May, 2021 9:04 am

Just wondering how your search was going.
I have been keeping an eye open on your behalf but such LW and oversized bags are very very thin on the ground
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 19 May, 2021 10:41 am

Moondog55 wrote:Just wondering how your search was going.

I think I'll sew up a lightly insulated liner that clips to the quilt and pad with a pocket for a pillow. That won't be a huge amount of insulation but it'll be a good shoulder season option and I already have the materials on hand.

I'm just going to save up and get a decent downmat, at the end of the day it's the warmest and almost lightest alternative, unfortunately it's also the most expensive. The new UL downmats have 300gms of down and are similar weight to my uninsulated S2S mat !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 07 Jun, 2021 10:22 am

ALDI special buys
A polyester travel blanket; 1000*1500mm $30-
2 sewn together might make a decent cheap overblanket/overquilt. No weight given but this would a price point purchase not a weight driven buy.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... 209%20June
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 20 Jun, 2021 9:42 am

Just saw something LW and cheap and local.
PM sent
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment