Sand in shoe liners

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sand in shoe liners

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 5:32 am

I've got some new gtx runners and after a couple of days in the Little Desert it's apparent the gap between the outer and inner of the shoe is full of sand, so much so they actually feel like a smaller size. Amusingly, they sound like marracas when shaken. Less amusing is they're basically stuffed unless I can get it out.

Anyone had/solved this problem.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Sand in shoe liners

Postby Lamont » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 7:57 am

I had it and it eventually destroyed some shoes. That was the end of my gtx phase.
If it's sand I think it's Adios gtx. Tried soaking the whole shoe in water? Maybe try and break down anything that will be dissolved? You never know it may just grind away before it makes a hole.

Failing that I have a space for a percussionist in my Mariachi 'Los Gringos Surfas'? Andale!
Last edited by Lamont on Thu 29 Apr, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 8:43 am

I'm curious to know more about this and wondering what brand/model of shoe it is?

I'm guessing the outer is a mesh type material and the GTX is stopping you from blowing/washing/shaking the sand out
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 10:52 am

Lamont wrote: If it's sand I think it's Adios gtx.

The more I think about it I think this is the case with probably plenty of damage done on the 20km back to my car after the problem became obvious. I might take it up with the retailer and see where it goes before trying anything else.

The shoes are one of the big hiking brands bought at a big box so nothing esoteric. To the naked eye the outer doesn't look permeable but obviously it is. Seems to be a one way street though as the grit won't shake back out.
CraigVIC

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 11:34 am

I had this happen 30 years ago with a pair of LW Hi-Tec boots, went back to full leather boots and haven't bought a mesh shoe or boot for walking since then
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 4:54 pm

I wonder if you can vacuum it out, using the vacuum cleaner's crevice nozzle.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Bill P » Wed 05 May, 2021 10:01 pm

Maybe cut a couple of slots in a suitable low stress area to drain or blow out the crud.? Then hand stitch up after. Shouldn't have to do that on new shoes, but if you cant fix it another way... Seems to be a significant design problem with the shoe hull. Which brand.?
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 07 May, 2021 6:12 pm

Sorry, I've been waiting for the return to play out.

Refunded in full by the manufacturer. The Anaconda return process was an eye opener, urgh.
CraigVIC

Return to Equipment