When technological 'improvements' aren't

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

When technological 'improvements' aren't

Postby north-north-west » Sat 15 May, 2021 1:26 pm

Went looking for replacement trekking poles today as my last el cheapo pole was busted after being fallen on once too often. Prepared to lash out with the $$$ on Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork, because they are still the best I've ever found.
But they've changed the flicklock system. Sure, the pole is now a gram or five lighter and a teensy bit more streamlined, but you can't adjust the lock. And the pair I opened and shut in the shop wouldn't lock down at the shortest length, and you can't do anything about it because *see end of previous sentence*.

So, goodbye Black Diamond, hello more el cheapos.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: When technological 'improvements' aren't

Postby Biggles » Sat 15 May, 2021 2:32 pm

Not "technological" improvement, but one based on practicality and reliability, and being followed widely.
Are you sure the locks aren't adjustable? Even for Black Diamond, obsessed with detail, that would be a major flaw. But if those uber-expensive (around $310!!) trekker poles have flicklocks, the locks themselves will be attached to the poles and secured with a screw. Adjust the flicklock tension by adjusting the screw that holds it in place.

This is the same arrangement for LEKI (mine, anti-shock and full adjustability), Black Diamond, Mountain Designs, Kuhle...numerous others. Twist locks are prone to water penetration and seizing, hence the wider shift to flicklocks. This is also why tripod manufacturers also shifted to flicklocks (again, tension adjustable via the screw) to enhance reliability and durability in more testing environments (e.g. tripods immersed in water, as mine often are). There are some laggards though, like Gitzo.

Not sure how the Black Diamond poles are the best. That is very subjective, and carbon fibre is unforgiving when pushed too far. I repaired my first snapped pole on Mount Bogong (descending Eskdale Spur in fog) in 1996 with a bicycle spoke and gaffer tape. What other poles have you looked at?
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Warin » Sat 15 May, 2021 3:15 pm

They no longer have the large screw nut combination... you need a small allen key to adjust them :x I'm certain to loose that!

See https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... arbon-cork for some photos little more than half way down that page.

Humm maybe a small hole it the top with the allen key inserted there and some velcro over the top?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Biggles » Sat 15 May, 2021 3:32 pm

Warin wrote:Humm maybe a small hole it the top with the allen key inserted there and some velcro over the top?

Not a bad idea really. But Velco tape over the top??
Gaffer tape...something else?

I carry a small 6mm allen key under the inner sole of my bushwalking boot. The pressure of the foot in the boot makes an indent into the shoe's last so it does not cause any irritation at all. The key is for adjusting the tripod screws (adjusting tension of flicklocks) in-field. :D
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sat 15 May, 2021 5:24 pm

It might take a teeny-tiny allen key (hard to tell, I wasn't carrying a magnifying glass to get a proper look at it) which - as has been mentioned - would inevitably get lost. This is not an improvement.
Flicklocks are great. BD's new system isn't.

Yes, "the best" is subjective, but they are (were) the best for me.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment