Can anyone suggest a Swag for walk in camps?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Can anyone suggest a Swag for walk in camps?

Postby lostkiwi » Thu 27 May, 2021 3:12 pm

Hello all

I am interested in doing an overnight stay in a few walk-in camps. Most will be around 3-4km from the main road, so about an hour's hike.

I am looking for recommendations for Swags since the one I have is too large to carry for that length of time. The main criteria being that they are lightweight to carry (under 10 kgs) and compact enough that it is not too clumsy to carry.

I thought that the OZtrail Biker Expedition Single Swag could be a good choice until I saw it at a store; it looks like it will have a significant droop due to not having poles in the middle.

Another that I potentially like the look of is the Darche Ranger Solo+ however I can't find any information about it.

I am wondering if anyone here has some good suggestions?
lostkiwi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Can anyone suggest a Swag for walk in camps?

Postby Warin » Thu 27 May, 2021 4:18 pm

Umm

OZtrail Biker Expedition Single Swag "perfect for motorbike travellers" ... it is not intended to be carried far. 6.9kg ... you can get a full tent for 2 kg or less. The swag may be tensioned across the top with two guys at each end. 'Swags' tent to be heavy for motorized 'campers'.

Try looking for a 'bivy'. Personally I prefer a tent.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby lostkiwi » Fri 28 May, 2021 1:59 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I've looked at Bivies, but they aren't really my thing. And as much as tents are lighter, I've always preferred swags, there is just something that resonates with me when sleeping in one compared to a tent. Up to 10kgs isn't really much if I strap it across my back, which is what I've done in the past. The only problem with my current swag is that it doesn't pack down enough, so it's a little clumsy to have strapped to my back.

I am just wondering if there are others who have done walk in's with swags, and if so, which did you use?
lostkiwi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 28 May, 2021 2:51 pm

Interesting question.

Agree with warin that you might struggle finding one compact or light enough.

What about this? It's quite swag like and only weighs 2.3kgs.

https://www.snowys.com.au/nomad-2-hike-tent

It's very inexpensive so I wouldn't expect great longetivity but the reviews are quite reasonable, so should be alright for a few nights.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby lostkiwi » Fri 28 May, 2021 3:51 pm

Wow, that's a really good suggestion. I hadn't really considered tents since I love the canvas of a swag, but that thing packs up so small that it could be a great alternative.

I would need to pack some sort of mattress as well, which would add to the weight (whereas swags generally have a foam mattress built-in). And reading reviews, it sounds like the poles have a tendency to break. But, as you said, it's inexpensive.

Thank you for the suggestion
lostkiwi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Sat 29 May, 2021 11:30 am

If you need to be under canvas, a single swag circa 5kg (like this https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/o ... -swag-2020) with Nemo tensor alpine matt - 600g and a quilt <500g, will be light and compact. I use this when car camping in my work sedan and there's not enough room for the monster double swag.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment