Zpacks Triplex users/TarpTent 3p tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Zpacks Triplex users/TarpTent 3p tents

Postby FNM » Wed 02 Jun, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi guys.

My brother and I almost always hike together and often just the two of us. Currently, we each carry a 2p tent. I carry the Dan Durston X-mid 2p, he carries the One Planet Goondie 2. We enjoy our comfort and use Exped LW pads (197 x 65 cm). All told we're carrying something like 3.3-3.5kg in tent/ground sheet, I guess. Now we're thinking we'd be better off carrying a single 3p tent to drop kgs.

The Triplex is the lightest option which would allow us to drop ~2.5kg collectively, which is crazy. There are several other options obviously that would allow us to drop between 1 - 2kg collectively - eg: TarpTent (Hogback, Cloudburst 3, Rainshadow 3), MSR Mutha Hubba etc.

Neither of us have ever used single-wall tents and we're concerned about staying comfortable/dry and not having the peace of mind of a double-wall tent.

This brings me to the Triplex - is there anyone with first hand experience of the Zpacks tents who can provide feedback for a 'single-wall ignorant' person..

Does condensation form every night it is used?
Does it require wiping down the inside every night, through the night? If not every night, what kind of proportion of nights would you think you need to actively wipe the interior through the night?
What have your experiences been for when condensation is at its worst - ie, what kind of conditions?
Both my brother and I sleep warm, so most nights we could have doors open - does that make much difference?

Having sat in the Hubba Hubba recently, I really noticed the value of having steep walls and a high interior height.. How does the Zpacks Triplex go here - are the head and feet very safe from rubbing against the walls?? Interior height seems good - 122cm.

On a more general note, if we were heading somewhere where we knew condensation was going to be an issue, is there anything to be gained by carrying a tarp to erect above the Zpacks tent - does it gain anything like double-wall qualities or is the double-wall really dependent on the mesh (breathable and catches the drips)?

I'm sure more questions will come to me, but if anyone can provide information/feedback, it'll be much appreciated.

By the same token, if anyone has any experience with the above TarpTents especially, or the Mutha Hubba or any other 3p tents, any feedback welcome.

Thanks
Last edited by FNM on Thu 03 Jun, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Zpacks Triplex users

Postby legend » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 2:32 pm

For two people I use the Tarptent Cloudburst 3 with the inner liner. I'm around 185cm and have a huge amount of room to move. It's withstood 100kph winds on the Mainrange (the extra middle pole was essential).
When warm (tropics) it is very easy to get extra air flow by raising the side edges and open up the vestibules.
The vestibules are very big and you can easily cook inside safely when it's horrible outside and still have room there for your packs and boots.
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Zpacks Triplex users

Postby FNM » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 4:30 pm

legend wrote:For two people I use the Tarptent Cloudburst 3 with the inner liner. I'm around 185cm and have a huge amount of room to move. It's withstood 100kph winds on the Mainrange (the extra middle pole was essential).
When warm (tropics) it is very easy to get extra air flow by raising the side edges and open up the vestibules.
The vestibules are very big and you can easily cook inside safely when it's horrible outside and still have room there for your packs and boots.

Thanks legend!

I am quite taken by the Cloudburst (and the Hogback... and to a marginally lesser extent, the Rainshadow!) - someone on the TT site used it in a variety of testing conditions in Alaska (with photo evidence in the snow) and was very happy with it. With the 3rd pole and liner, am I right in saying that it comes in at around 1.8kg ?

Do you always take the liner and 3rd pole? I think without, it's around 1.5kg? If not, how do you decide whether to take it or not (pole is more obvious, but wondering about the liner) ?

Given the silnylon, is it a simple process to tighten things up if sagging in the wet ?

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Zpacks Triplex users/TarpTent 3p tents

Postby Lamont » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 5:01 pm

Someone put a q up a while back about taking a Triplex to Tazzie. Put triplex in the search box -should come up.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Zpacks Triplex users/TarpTent 3p tents

Postby FNM » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 8:57 pm

Lamont wrote:Someone put a q up a while back about taking a Triplex to Tazzie. Put triplex in the search box -should come up.

Thanks Lamont. I had seen that one previously. Might be worthwhile sending a pm. Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment