How much weight do you carry on hikes?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How much weight do you carry on hikes?

Postby Joels » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 8:13 am

Hi,

After recently posting about swags, I'm curious as to how much weight you roughly all carry on hikes?

Speaking to my friends recently, I found it quite interesting that most of them don't even weigh their packs, they just go by feel.

One of my friends for example likes to challenge himself by going with so little that it makes me shiver just thinking about it. He is really into the whole Bear Grylls and Wim Hof kind of stuff and then another friend of mine takes so much (she is super strong) that I feel my back breaking just looking at her (she likes to glamp haha).

I know there is no right or wrong and everybody is going to have their opinion on what is considered too heavy, but I'm just curious.... :D
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: How much weight do you carry on hikes?

Postby Zapruda » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 9:01 am

The contents of my pack (baseweight) can weigh anywhere from 2.5kg (height of summer) to 6kg (multi day winter ski tours) without food and water and depending on the season. Most often I am around 3.5- 4 kg. I spend most of my of time in the Alps and this can often mean snow, cold and wind and other extremes in weather.

It's a common misconception that going lighter means being uncomfortable and unsafe. I am always comfortable and never make any concessions when it comes to safety. I prioritise minimal packing practices rather than packing for all the "what-ifs" that people seem to think up before a trip. I put more emphasis on skills rather than gear. Having the skills to utilise lighter/less gear is often overlooked. As an example You can get away with a much lighter tent when you know where and how to pitch it correctly.

Packing light means I am more nimble and unencumbered. It means less injuries and fatigue. It means a greater connection to the environment.

Whenever I guide I encourage people to reassess the contents of their packs when they get home and really consider each item and what place it has. The best way to save weight is by simply removing unnecessary and redundant stuff from your pack. I am always shocked at all the extra clothing and cooking kit people bring along. Trying to recreate the comforts of home in the bush is futile in my opinion.

Ultimately, people should carry what makes them happy and enhances the their time outside. There is no right or wrong way.

Here are two excellent resources for getting in to a lighter mindset

https://www.reddit.com/r/UltralightAUs
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 12:07 pm

I range from 3.7 kg baseweight(gear minus food/water/worn clothing) for my fair weather summer kit then it ranges to about 7kg baseweight for winter alpine.

However I've been doing this for a while and spent a fair amount of money on light weight gear etc. So don't feel if you're gear is heavier by comparison to other people you need to rush out and spend $. It's a evolutionary and individual process. With a bit of trial and error you will find that right style/weight of gear that works for you.

Crollsurf wrote a good guide if you're looking to lighten the load a bit.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=30413
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 12:23 pm

G'day Joels: carry whatever you need to enjoy yourself bushwalking. :D
Most of the year, non Winter it's about 3-4 kgs baseweight (weight not including water/food) that serves me well. I like to minimise the stress on my body, a lighter weight allows me to get exercise and see the sights with far, far, less stress and is thus more enjoyable for me than a heavier weight did. Have fun.

ps what's a wim hof?
Last edited by Lamont on Tue 22 Jun, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 1:06 pm

Probably too much but I can't be bothered weighing it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby EGM » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 1:53 pm

I have no idea on base weight but my total weight is usually around 7kg total depending on how much water I take. I'm also always with my partner so we get to split up gear like tent and stove.

Btw Lamont Wim hof is a man who enjoys running around in the snow in his undies and fighting illnesses with 'will power'.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 9:28 pm

I don't weigh my pack either but at a guess between 4 and 8 kg (time of year dependent) without water/fuel or food. I do carry a chair 0 though.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Tue 22 Jun, 2021 10:34 pm

I'm still a long way from UL, but usually carry about 10 kg for 2-3 days including food and water. Yeah, I should work out a base weight. I can do 10 days (Tasmanian alpine) with 14 kg all up, which is a major improvement on the 23 kgs I'd carry for a week a few years ago. I used to add luxuries for shorter walks, which meant I rarely got below about 19 kg. Now I enjoy the luxuries at home, and get to enjoy bushwalking even more. I can also do tougher walks in my senior years than I've done before. Shoulda gone lighter decades ago.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joels » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:06 am

Zapruda wrote:The contents of my pack (baseweight) can weigh anywhere from 2.5kg (height of summer) to 6kg (multi day winter ski tours) without food and water and depending on the season. Most often I am around 3.5- 4 kg. I spend most of my of time in the Alps and this can often mean snow, cold and wind and other extremes in weather.

It's a common misconception that going lighter means being uncomfortable and unsafe. I am always comfortable and never make any concessions when it comes to safety. I prioritise minimal packing practices rather than packing for all the "what-ifs" that people seem to think up before a trip. I put more emphasis on skills rather than gear. Having the skills to utilise lighter/less gear is often overlooked. As an example You can get away with a much lighter tent when you know where and how to pitch it correctly.

Packing light means I am more nimble and unencumbered. It means less injuries and fatigue. It means a greater connection to the environment.

Whenever I guide I encourage people to reassess the contents of their packs when they get home and really consider each item and what place it has. The best way to save weight is by simply removing unnecessary and redundant stuff from your pack. I am always shocked at all the extra clothing and cooking kit people bring along. Trying to recreate the comforts of home in the bush is futile in my opinion.

Ultimately, people should carry what makes them happy and enhances the their time outside. There is no right or wrong way.

Here are two excellent resources for getting in to a lighter mindset

https://www.reddit.com/r/UltralightAUs
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight

Great! Thanks for the links as well, i'll check them out!

In summer, at the moment, I'm at around 7kg and winter for a number of years now I've been at 14kg....but in prep for my 1000km walk I've bought some new equipment and I've already done 1 night camp out to test my gear and I am now down to 8.5kg, which is a big improvement for me. I will do several more 1 night hikes and camps to reassess and see if I can get a little lighter. :)
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joels » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:07 am

wildwanderer wrote:I range from 3.7 kg baseweight(gear minus food/water/worn clothing) for my fair weather summer kit then it ranges to about 7kg baseweight for winter alpine.

However I've been doing this for a while and spent a fair amount of money on light weight gear etc. So don't feel if you're gear is heavier by comparison to other people you need to rush out and spend $. It's a evolutionary and individual process. With a bit of trial and error you will find that right style/weight of gear that works for you.

Crollsurf wrote a good guide if you're looking to lighten the load a bit.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=30413

Thanks, I will check it out! :)
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:10 am

Your friend sounds very reckless. I'd avoid any serious walks with him.

My weight used to vary between 12kg for short trips and 24kg for up to 2 week trips.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joels » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:17 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Your friend sounds very reckless. I'd avoid any serious walks with him.

My weight used to vary between 12kg for short trips and 24kg for up to 2 week trips.

As much as I am more for my creature comforts...he has been doing the minimalist type hiking thing now for 20 years. He is amazing when it comes to the amount of knowledge and level of fitness he has. If I was in a situation where I was stuck in the bush with very little, he is the guy I'd want to get stuck with. He has a vast knowledge of bush foods too.
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:19 am

Might be different in W.A but here in Tassie you should never go bush "stuck with very little" it's downright dangerous.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joels » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 9:33 pm

EGM wrote:I have no idea on base weight but my total weight is usually around 7kg total depending on how much water I take. I'm also always with my partner so we get to split up gear like tent and stove.

Btw Lamont Wim hof is a man who enjoys running around in the snow in his undies and fighting illnesses with 'will power'.

Haha love it :lol: and while that is a very accurate description...I have to say he is pretty amazing!
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joels » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 9:36 pm

Tortoise wrote:I'm still a long way from UL, but usually carry about 10 kg for 2-3 days including food and water. Yeah, I should work out a base weight. I can do 10 days (Tasmanian alpine) with 14 kg all up, which is a major improvement on the 23 kgs I'd carry for a week a few years ago. I used to add luxuries for shorter walks, which meant I rarely got below about 19 kg. Now I enjoy the luxuries at home, and get to enjoy bushwalking even more. I can also do tougher walks in my senior years than I've done before. Shoulda gone lighter decades ago.

Ah yes, I'm currently in the cull process...slowly getting lighter. :)
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 9:41 pm

These days sub 120kg, down from 130kg at start of year. Oh wait...
About 10kg base for a recent trip around Hotham with extra down quilt for the frosty conditions.
I need to get that down, but I used to about 15kg base weight, so improving.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 10:09 pm

Joels wrote:Ah yes, I'm currently in the cull process...slowly getting lighter. :)

Good stuff! Some things were easy to leave at home, some cheap to replace (a bit of orange net bag instead of a scourer, going with a pot that would triple as a bowl and mug etc). Bigger items took research and patience. I decided what I wanted, then waited. Some things I got second hand from good folk here, others I got new for half price, alerted to specials by good folk here.:)

Moving from a warm but heavy sleeping bag to a good quality quilt, and a better, lighter mat, helped save over a kg by going to a smaller pack.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joels » Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:36 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Joels wrote:Ah yes, I'm currently in the cull process...slowly getting lighter. :)

Good stuff! Some things were easy to leave at home, some cheap to replace (a bit of orange net bag instead of a scourer, going with a pot that would triple as a bowl and mug etc). Bigger items took research and patience. I decided what I wanted, then waited. Some things I got second hand from good folk here, others I got new for half price, alerted to specials by good folk here.:)

Moving from a warm but heavy sleeping bag to a good quality quilt, and a better, lighter mat, helped save over a kg by going to a smaller pack.

Yes, It's definitely just finding what works. It is a process, and everybody has things they would rather not sacrifice...even when it comes to weight. Mine is a cooker...I know some people just go with dry foods etc, but I need my hot coffee and warm food haha
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 10:15 pm

Joels wrote:Yes, It's definitely just finding what works. It is a process, and everybody has things they would rather not sacrifice...even when it comes to weight. Mine is a cooker...I know some people just go with dry foods etc, but I need my hot coffee and warm food haha
Out of interest, what cooker do you use? I need my hot coffee and food too. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joels » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 10:44 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Joels wrote:Yes, It's definitely just finding what works. It is a process, and everybody has things they would rather not sacrifice...even when it comes to weight. Mine is a cooker...I know some people just go with dry foods etc, but I need my hot coffee and warm food haha
Out of interest, what cooker do you use? I need my hot coffee and food too. :D

Hey,

I just bought the biolite 2 plus the kettlepot (which i cook in or use as a kettle...you can also store the stove in it).

It is about 1.5kg, but I'm fairly light on all of my other things now.

It has a fan and i was able to generate a bit of heat from it to keep me warm and the light it comes from is good too.

took about 3/4 minutes to boil my water. possibly could have been a bit quicker if i'd turned the fan up a bit.
Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Al M » Fri 25 Jun, 2021 8:45 pm

It’s very easy really to work it out, see here where you fit in and make changes https://www.thehikinglife.com/going-light/
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 Jun, 2021 8:03 am

My winter daypack is 8.5 kilos but includes 2000 emergency Calories and a shovel, the lightest I have ever got for 3 days in white season is 14.7 kilos with food but I sleep better if I add a kilo to that for a softer and warmer mattress set-up
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sat 26 Jun, 2021 8:54 am

I end up around 12kg for 3/4 days, including sipping water for day 1. That's for late Autumn and early Spring, which are my preferred times of the year.

Early Autumn/late Spring I can easily drop 2kgs off that with lighter tent, quilt instead of bag and lighter rain gear. I could also drop maybe 400/500g in food, but I like the security of having a reasonable amount of ready to eat stuff.

I like to think I am well prepared, and the only things that don't get used are the E-Lite and the spare socks. I am gradually adjusting to not taking the spare socks. I will also, depending on weather expectations and altitude, carry mittens, spare gloves, balaclava. Only carried if I expect to need them, and usually not needed, but to not take them on those occasions would be foolish.

I have had to use my back up clothing to get a warm nights sleep several times this year, so I won't be leaving that out, or reducing it.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 Jun, 2021 9:25 am

stry wrote:
I like to think I am well prepared, I will also, depending on weather expectations and altitude, carry mittens, spare gloves, balaclava. Only carried if I expect to need them, and usually not needed, but to not take them on those occasions would be foolish.

I have had to use my back up clothing to get a warm nights sleep several times this year, so I won't be leaving that out, or reducing it.

Makes sense to me and pretty much how I do things
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment