Teant question

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Teant question

Postby johk » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 8:35 pm

Hi,

I did the Great walk on fraser island in September 2020. It was raining heavy almost every night..had some sun 2 of the days.
Me and my mate borrowed a Wilderness Equipment tent Space 2 https://www.wildernessequipment.com.au/ ... s/space-2/ which was a very nice tent.
During some of the heavy rain we didn’t have leak – we got some condensation but that was to be expected with the amount of rain and wet ground.
We also used the Ground sheet.

As I don’t do too much hiking Space 2 falls outside my budget but am keen in finding something else. Of course if I am only paying half of say Space I do expect some compromises.

Now…when I have been staring at tent for the last weeks …I can’t see the trees for the forest…..and am really confused.
Most of the reviews seem to be of people just unpacking the tent and pitching it on a sunny day – but haven’t tested them in harsher climates.

What really confuse me is that some tents have the same fly fabric say 20D but the PU varies from 1200mm to 4000mm – which is a lot.
https://www.naturehike.com/collections/ ... nh17t012-t
https://www.macpac.com.au/duolight-hiki ... hike-tents
Does the coating of the fly fabric make such a difference in PU rating?

The Naturhike tents seems quite good, but I am concerned that the floor is not waterproof enough – even if you use a ground sheet – water can still seep in between ground sheet and tent floor.

Even though the space 2 was great I felt that the vestibule was to small. I would have preferred a large space where I can at least store my bag during the night.
This is not an issue on Fraser as they have the steel boxes for the bags at the camping sites.

One tent that I am leaning towards is the Naturehike Cloud Peak 2 as the vestibule is larger.
Have also been looking at the Marmot tents but their PU rating was not great.

How much do you look at the PU rating of a tent?
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
J
johk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Teant question

Postby camm » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 11:01 pm

There's a lot more to it than hydrostatic head. A quick primer here and here.

For what it's worth my 3 season tent has a 15D nylon Sil/Pe coated 1200mm HH floor. It doesn't leak but it needs to be treated like grandma's best fine china.
camm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment