Buying shoes in Canberra

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Buying shoes in Canberra

Postby amyannick » Tue 06 Jul, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm going to take my mum in law shopping for some walking shoes/boots. A life of standing up at work has given her a few foot related issues and walking in certain shoes can be painful for her. If anyone has recommendations on where I should take her in Canberra to get some good advice from someone who knows about feet, I'd be eager to hear.
amyannick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Buying shoes in Canberra

Postby slparker » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 9:50 am

amyannick wrote:I'm going to take my mum in law shopping for some walking shoes/boots. A life of standing up at work has given her a few foot related issues and walking in certain shoes can be painful for her. If anyone has recommendations on where I should take her in Canberra to get some good advice from someone who knows about feet, I'd be eager to hear.

Mont, perhaps? They do trail runners and boots.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby amyannick » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 10:22 am

slparker wrote:Mont, perhaps? They do trail runners and boots.

Thanks. Mont is absolutely the first stop and then Paddy Pallin. But the quality of the advice is pretty dependant on who ends up serving you. Running shops often have staff with a better knowledge of foot issues, but the ones I've looked at don't seem to stock walking shoes/boots.
amyannick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 6:06 pm

Taking a different angle, if there really are that much history with mum’s feet, maybe best to first visit a podiatrist for advice and potential fitting of support. And if there really are major long standing problem, heavy boots may not be the way to go but comfortable/light shoes and runners.

Mont has a good range there in Canberra and pretty relaxed shopping environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment