Sleep System Advice Larapinta July

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleep System Advice Larapinta July

Postby adventuremum » Tue 06 Jul, 2021 11:36 pm

Hi
not sure if we'll still be leaving for Larapinta on Sunday 11 July (injuries plus a cancelled flight) but if we do, advice on sleep system, given it could be -7 or -1 or 5
Options:
Me (I sleep really cold)
    Exped Synmat UL (old R2.9) 455g + OP Bushlite -11/-4, 1066g = 1521g OR
    Exped down UL (R5.9), 560g + OP Bushlite -11, 1066g = 1626g

14yo (sleeps warm)
    Exped Synmat UL (new R3.1) 484g + Mont Helium 450 -7/-1, 800g= 1284g OR
    Exped down UL (R5.9), 560g + Mont Helium 450 -7/-1, 800g= 1360g OR
    Exped Synmat UL (new R3.13 484g + Mont Helium 450 -7/-1, 800g + Foam mat Superlite 8 multimat R2.3, 166g= 1450g (advantage of this is if either of us get mat punctures can use foam mat until puncture fixed in morning!)
We'll both have down jackets.
Juggling weight because of carrying 6lt/kg of water for dry camps but don't want to be cold & not sleep well either.
Would love lighter bag (?Cocoon) or quilt long term but not in budget currently
Thanks for all suggestions
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Sleep System Advice Larapinta July

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 8:52 am

Can’t comment on the specific equipment you list (as I use a completely different sleeping system), but in general consider the following:

1. You can combine your sleeping system with the clothes and other equipment you are carrying to extend the range significantly. e.g. sleeping with a beanie on, wearing your down jackets, using a hot water bottle, etc

2. It’s usually easier to adjust your equipment if the temperature turns out to be warmer than expected rather than colder (i.e. plan for the coldest you are likely to encounter)

3. You can sleep warmer by doing some light exercise before getting into bed. Many people also eat just before sleeping as they find that keeps them warmer.

In short: I would carry sleeping gear for the mid-range temperatures that you expect to encounter and then adjust accordingly as required.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stry » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 9:06 am

Definitely take the Downmat for yourself. I have experienced heat loss through an inadequate mat, and it made for most unrestorative, very fitful sleep.

Despite the slight weight penalty, I would also lean toward taking the Downmat option for your son. No matter how frisky 14 years old may appear, if (when?) things get cold and tiring, they do not have the physiological endurance of an adult.

More clothes, and the techniques described by Chis can compensate if the bag turns out to be marginal, but will provide only minimal compensation for heat loss below. CCF will help and also provide some insurance against punctures, but a reasonable thickness of CCF will be very bulky.

Personally I always take a GG Thinlite, which provides some protection for the mat, but only a very little insulation in the event of mat damage. Swings and roundabouts.

Best wishes. A friend in Vic. has had her Larapinta trip rescheduled at least once so far.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adventuremum » Wed 07 Jul, 2021 11:49 pm

Thanks both for that advice/suggestions
Heavier downmat for me it is then. Thanks Stry. That's my experience too...
And you're right, even though 14yo walks around in barefeet/t-shirt at home when it's 3C, a skinny teenager can get cold quickly.
Now have to find some other gear/grams to ditch!
Vic alps snow campers - so used to down jacket + beanie, star jumps before bed etc, but thanks for reminder ChrisJHC to do the same in the desert...
Yep this is take 2, cancelled last year. Resolved cancelled flight. Now just hoping injuries allow me to walk ok (X days injured coccyx & 6 weeks post-fracture patalla) If not, will abort 7 days overnight & do day walks without pack, maybe from Stanley?
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment