Tarp users- to be or knot to be?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 6:50 pm

Noone rip me off too much here as I staunchly was against tarping. Curiosity got the better of me, combined with trying to pitch my xmid around the only "me" sized bit of ground with no rocks to sleep on.

Do regular tarp users use clamps/linelocs or do the Skurka method of knot tying?

Do you leave your guys unattached until you reach your intended site and wing it from there? Or do you decide on your likely pitch and leave your guys attached for speed?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tarp users- to be or knot to be?

Postby Zapruda » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 6:59 pm

I’ve been using these GD hooks on my tarp.

https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/diy-su ... re/gd-hook

I leave them attached most of the time but they are super easy to remove.

Knots are ok but only when you hands are warm and gloveless. Not really a regular occurrence for me up in the mountains.

Tarps are lovely btw.
Attachments
3A1439F5-A7B0-4487-9598-D4267C953617.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Petew » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 7:18 pm

I use linelocs permanently attached with the lines. Works well.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 8:17 pm

Thank you.
I really appreciate the replies Petew and Zapruda.
So if leaving mostly attached, would you both typically use the A frame pitch most often?
What size line are you running for your guys?

I had figured my Protrail Li would fill the niche for me, but I have found although good it was still not great for pitching in awkward spots need I sometimes have. I suppose as essentially it is still a fixed shape/geometry.

Zapruda, I recently joined social media and have been stalking your instagram. Beautiful images you have on there.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks Ms Mudd :)

I mostly use the A frame pitch, sometimes quite low at the foot end. Almost pinned to the ground. This helps keep a bit of wind off.

I think I run 60cm for each corner and 100cm for the Apex ends. This give a huge amount of flexibility when trying different pitches but in reality I’m mostly on the shorter end of both those measurements.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 11:00 pm

I have 1m for the perimeter guys and 2m for the peaks. Similar to Zapruda, mainly a frame pitch with the foot end lower. I also carry a ridge line from Teir gear which is handy. It has a Dutch hook on one end and three little metal cam things so easy to use.

I'm relatively new to social media too. Mainly use Instagram because it's easy to use.
Petew

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 8:53 am

I started off by using a length of “hoochie cord” permanently tied to each end of the ridge. Long enough to loop around nearby trees and tie off.

Then went to “occy straps” which worked well but were heavy.

Now I’ve gone to a Dutchware-style continuous ridgeline: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/conti ... -connector

Work really well and easy to put up and down (after the first couple of times).

I thought that Tier Gear also carried them (for an Aussie connection) but couldn’t find them on the website. Maybe give Simon a call (if he’s not out hanging somewhere).
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 9:08 am

This is what I use. In the tarp accessories section.

https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/tarp-a ... idgeline-1

I don't use it all the time but it opens out the tarp (no sticks/poles needed) plus good for drying stuff out on.
Petew

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 11:39 am

Thank you both.
Have placed an order with Simon to have a go at playing with some of your suggested hardware.
I figured I wanted a dcf tarp, but ended up deciding on silpoly due to lower cash outlay if I decide it is a system that doesn't suit me. I had already ordered something from Borah Gear, so purchased from them to combine shipping
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 4:17 pm

What mm cordage are you guys mostly using?

My gear from Tier Gear arrived today, really happy and excited to have a mess around with it all. I was shopping while on night duty so didn't really pay attention, just kept chucking stuff in the cart without considering compatibility with hardware. I may have gone ?too heavy duty with the 2mm Lawson Glowire. The Lawson feels like 'good' line,it is probably the nicest cordage I have, feels like it wouldn't tangle easily.

* Mini clam cleats -The Lawson 2mm works well , no slippage https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/diy-supplies/hardware/clamcleat-cl266-mini-line-loks

* Nama claws - the 2mm is too thick https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/tarp-a ... nama-claws

* GD hooks- the Lawson 2mm slips in it. https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/diy-su ... re/gd-hook

Should I think about about going lighter/smaller diameter cord?

I thought it worth asking you "Tarpers" as I know from owning the 1 and 2p XMid that a slight difference in diameter can make a big difference to performance in the field. Better I make an educated purchase rather than a 2am funfest of online cart filling :oops: :lol:

You have all been such a bad (but really, very good!) influence on me. Over the years on the forum, I have moved from quite the precious little petal who was all about comfort, to finding joys in simplifying my trips and safely pushing my boundaries.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 6:28 pm

Also wanted to ask- any recommendations for cord for guys that isn't reflective? Sometimes I like to be super well hidden and might switch out my lines for those super stealth mode times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 10:00 am

Perfect scene Zapruda. Would need some convincing though, ie, mosies, unwanted reptilian guests, wind driven drain etc.

Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Zapruda » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 8:48 am

Kickinghorse wrote:Perfect scene Zapruda. Would need some convincing though, ie, mosies, unwanted reptilian guests, wind driven drain etc.

Phil

This was taken in that blissful period between mozzies and snow. No snakes, or at least none that bothered me. Give it a go sometime, Phil :)
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 8:58 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:What mm cordage are you guys mostly using?

My gear from Tier Gear arrived today, really happy and excited to have a mess around with it all. I was shopping while on night duty so didn't really pay attention, just kept chucking stuff in the cart without considering compatibility with hardware. I may have gone ?too heavy duty with the 2mm Lawson Glowire. The Lawson feels like 'good' line,it is probably the nicest cordage I have, feels like it wouldn't tangle easily.

* Mini clam cleats -The Lawson 2mm works well , no slippage https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/diy-supplies/hardware/clamcleat-cl266-mini-line-loks

* Nama claws - the 2mm is too thick https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/tarp-a ... nama-claws

* GD hooks- the Lawson 2mm slips in it. https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/diy-su ... re/gd-hook

Should I think about about going lighter/smaller diameter cord?

I thought it worth asking you "Tarpers" as I know from owning the 1 and 2p XMid that a slight difference in diameter can make a big difference to performance in the field. Better I make an educated purchase rather than a 2am funfest of online cart filling :oops: :lol:

You have all been such a bad (but really, very good!) influence on me. Over the years on the forum, I have moved from quite the precious little petal who was all about comfort, to finding joys in simplifying my trips and safely pushing my boundaries.

I'm glad we could twist your arm Ms Mudd :)

I use 2.5mm in the GD hooks. I find 2.5mm to be a pretty universal diameter for most ul hardware. Agreed, the Lawson stuff is top notch. Never tangles.

I think its great that you are pushing your comfort levels. Its amazing how little we really need out there, and to me that's a comfort in it's self.

This was my partners first night under a tarp. She loved how open it was compared to the claustrophobic feeling of a tent. And look at all that room!
Attachments
tarp1.jpg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 9:18 am

Thank you Zapruda. How big is this tarp? It does look very generous for the two of you, so much space! The one I have coming to me is a Borah silpoly 7x9' and John reckons it will be a palace for one. Being a connoiseur of all things Aliexpress, I did also spend $40 on this little number https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296552 ... f270186c-1
Love the pic! I have continually flicked through your insta and have refrained from commenting too heavily,to avoid you needing to take out a restraining order against me, but want to just hit that heart icon on every single one of the pics. It is funny how I will flick through online stuff, looking for gear that I am interested in learning more about or have myself, just to see how people do things and see if I can try those same methods myself.

Okay, so I am not going too heavy with the 2mm lawson glowire. Good to know. Thank you. I will have a browse online on Tier Gear and find some nice 2.5mm to go with the GD hooks I have, to see how I like them compared to the mini cam cleats. I do have some 2.5mm here, but after feeling the Lawson, I realise I have cheaped out and bought inferior line in the past. I think the GD hooks will be the easier solution as I can affix them right to the loops on the tarp and tension from there, whereas the clamcleats will be further away from the tarp itself. I may use a combo of both though, so much to fiddle around with and work out- I love learning new stuff!

Edited to add: On my browsing I think I saw you had a custom Zimmerbuilt Quickstep for some of your trips, which you have since sold. What did you like/not like? What did you replace it with?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 9:54 am

Avoiding mozzies: mozzie net on my tarp.
Avoiding snakes, spiders, leaches, wet ground etc: hang a couple of feet of the ground.
Avoiding waking up sore and tired from not enough sleep: sleep in a hammock!

Note - this is set up in “porch mode” to look out while relaxing during the day. I removed the poles and brought the sides down lower to the ground for the night.

DIY silpoly tarp. Very easy to do (especially if your wife is really good with a sewing machine).
ChrisJHC

Postby Zapruda » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 10:14 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Thank you Zapruda. How big is this tarp? It does look very generous for the two of you, so much space! The one I have coming to me is a Borah silpoly 7x9' and John reckons it will be a palace for one. Being a connoiseur of all things Aliexpress, I did also spend $40 on this little number https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296552 ... f270186c-1
Love the pic! I have continually flicked through your insta and have refrained from commenting too heavily,to avoid you needing to take out a restraining order against me, but want to just hit that heart icon on every single one of the pics. It is funny how I will flick through online stuff, looking for gear that I am interested in learning more about or have myself, just to see how people do things and see if I can try those same methods myself.

Okay, so I am not going too heavy with the 2mm lawson glowire. Good to know. Thank you. I will have a browse online on Tier Gear and find some nice 2.5mm to go with the GD hooks I have, to see how I like them compared to the mini cam cleats. I do have some 2.5mm here, but after feeling the Lawson, I realise I have cheaped out and bought inferior line in the past. I think the GD hooks will be the easier solution as I can affix them right to the loops on the tarp and tension from there, whereas the clamcleats will be further away from the tarp itself. I may use a combo of both though, so much to fiddle around with and work out- I love learning new stuff!

Edited to add: On my browsing I think I saw you had a custom Zimmerbuilt Quickstep for some of your trips, which you have since sold. What did you like/not like? What did you replace it with?

Its 8.5x10. Huge for one but nice when some weather comes in. I'm 6'2" as well so a little more length is a luxury. The Borah tarp you ordered will be excellent and probably my preferred size when solo.

Tarps really make you think about where you set up camp. I like that, it makes me more aware of where I am.

I loved the Zimerbuilt but I liked the Pa'Lante Ultralight and Desert Pack even more. Id highly recommend Zimmerbuilt. Chris does excellent work and is happy to customise whatever you want. Well priced and short lead times as well.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 12:15 pm

I would use a Bowline knot at the tie off loop on the tarp, down to the stake and then back up and through the tie off loop and then a Skurka knot. That way I could retention without getting out from under the tarp.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 4:43 pm

crollsurf wrote:
Hope that makes sense.

Not quite, but nothing a glass of wine, google +/- youtube won't fix. I love to learn more so will happily undertake the research. Thanks for offering your experience.

Tops! Thanks Zapruda, happy that my purchased flat tarp size should be on point. John from Borah was a pleasant/helpful guy to interact with and he easily could have had me drop a whole lot more cash his way by making me a custom DCF tarp, but he suggested that silpoly would make for a nice tarp for my needs and that he personally prefers it over DCF. I really like my XMid silpoly fly, so feel pretty positive about the tarp. I was going to get a Terra Rosa tarp as Evan is a really nice guy and has made me some great stuff for my mountain bike, but unfortunately he only had a blue silpoly in which wasn't as stealth as I was chasing.

Btw it is VERY cool that your partner comes out with you sometimes, your tarp set up looks awesome and I am happy to hear she liked it. I think it is always nice to make memories together and enjoy some of the same things at the same time. My husband is very much not into what I do, but could not be any more supportive. We try and find ways to make our passions collide (no crude meaning implied :lol: ), ie. I will walk Larapinta next year, he will ride his touring bike to the Red Centre and then rendezvous with me for a few days- we have done this sort of thing in the past with my longer walks and it is pretty cool.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 5:33 pm

I used to tarp camp a lot. All I can add to the excellent advice given is that where tarps are concerned longer guys are better. You can always shorten a guy but adding length is a PITA, especially when tired, wet and cold and Murphy says that is how it happens
EDIT
Also with modern UL fabrics I would go with a bigger tarp than I used to use, which was hootchie size 2.7 * 2.4m; 3*3 m as the smallest and even as large as 5*3.6m for luxurious shelter
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 20 Jul, 2021 6:43 pm

Thanks MD. It is a small weight penalty to carry more cord, so I shall do so.

I am hoping my Borah Tarp or at least my el budgo Ali express tarp comes before mid August. I have the Green Gully walk planned with a random mish mash of people who don't know each other, the only common thread is them all having met me at least once. I figured with a party of 6, the huts will be full to the brim and I am not a great sleeper anyway, so intend to tarp it outside. The back up of a comfy stretcher in the hut in case it all goes pear shaped should provide me with the safety net to just go ahead and give it a go. If my Borah Gear stuff doesn't arrive in time, I do have a Terra Rosa Gear tyvek bivy to use and may just dig out my 3F UL poncho tarp to mess about with.

Thank you for all the input, extremely useful.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 23 Jul, 2021 1:09 pm

For more info than you ever wanted about tarps, have a look at:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/for ... Protection
ChrisJHC