DIY podiatry supplies? Advice/hints etc:

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

DIY podiatry supplies? Advice/hints etc:

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 12:08 pm

Just had my quarterly scrape and deep clean and had an interesting chat with the podiatrist.
Interesting in that I simply cannot afford the difference between a standard off-the-shelf footbed and one custom fitted.
The difference is minor but not IMO worth the extra $300- to $400-
But what past experience tells me I need doesn't seem to be currently available.
The Dr Scholl brand used to have a self adhesive backed leather and felt arch pad that you simply stuck to the existing arch support to give a bit more support and I simply cannot find any.
The current Dr Scholl pad is gel and much thicker than I think I need, of course the ones I want are available from China via eBay but that would be buying sight unseen and be too small for my big clodhopping feet.
I've been experimenting with leather semi-rigid and soft foams using double sided tape but so far nothing is to my satisfaction.
I have a brand new footbed here now that I bought from SnowSports Wodonga on the recommendation of the shop owner as being good value for money being thinner in the forefoot than my usual Superfeet purchase but I need more arch support than either give straight out of the box.
Skiing over the last week has given my toes a real hammering again and I am positive it is mainly caused by my arches flexing a bit too much although I am finding it harder to get more forward into my boots too
Any advice members can offer is much appreciated
Posting the same query over on the ski forum too
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: DIY podiatry supplies? Advice/hints etc:

Postby Eremophila » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 4:07 pm

Podiatrist can supply an off-the-shelf version slightly customised for you, i.e. bits glued on and shaped. I used these for a couple of years with fairly good results at $90 per pair.

That said, my newer orthotics have been great and I wouldn't hesitate to pay the money again. I do have health insurance which helps.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: DIY podiatry supplies? Advice/hints etc:

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 10 Sep, 2021 8:57 pm

I actually bought the cheap Chinese arch pads and they just arrived, thinner than the product picture would have you believe and very close to the Dr Scholl I remember using years ago. I think they might work for the short period of time I'll need them.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment