Advice from quilt users

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Advice from quilt users

Postby zacharycbruce » Fri 23 Jul, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi all,

Trying to make up my mind on whether to buy a new bag, or to buy a custom quilt (Tier Gear)

In another thread I was asking for advice on a bag for use in Walls of Jerusalem (Tas) for late spring, through summer. The consensus being -5c would be OK.

I'm wondering if I should maybe go for an even warmer quilt (-10c) which would cover me for winter trips as well

I'd like to hear from quilt users (especially any in Tassie) whether a -10c quilt would be versatile enough to deal with Tasmanian summers, by wearing less clothes, hanging arms/legs out etc. Or is it going to be too warm?
And I wonder about how much difference it makes not having a hood on a quilt, if I"m looking at below freezing temps should I plan on bringing a balaclava, or wool buff to cover my noggin?

I guess as a pre-emptive follow up question, if a -10c quilt is going to be too warm for summer, what other rating should I get? e.g. if I get a -10c for winter or higher altitude summer trips, what should I get for summer? 0c? +2c?
zacharycbruce
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Advice from quilt users

Postby andrewa » Fri 23 Jul, 2021 9:09 pm

I make my own quilts, but sleep in clothing I have with me.

Down to 8-10 overnight, I have a quilt with 450g down, but might also sleep in lighter down jacket plus light down pants on a decent insulated mat.

In winter, ski touring, I have a quilt with 750g down, and will normally sleep in a heavier down jacket, plus down pants, and booties.

Not sure whether this answers your questions, but it hopefully gives you an idea about how I integrate systems to minimise weight. My aim is to sleep in everything I have, and minimalist my quilt/sleeping bag weight.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Fri 23 Jul, 2021 9:14 pm

I'm a quilt user and ski tour in the Snowy Mountains NSW (-10C and lower)

Straight up I'd go a bag in really cold weather but I couldn't find a bag big enough for me across the shoulders. The fill would be compressed across my shoulders and I'd get cold, so that is the main reason I moved to quilts in colder weather, there just wasn't a bag that would fit me.

I only use quilts now and they are by far the best for me. Not just because of what I mentioned but because they are so adaptable. I'm a restless sleeper and I like to hang my feet out the end when getting a bit hot.

The 2 secrets to Quilts is don't get one that is too small, if in doubt, get the next size wider &/or longer. And the second, is an easy learning curve regarding the straps, to make sure you are not getting drafts.

Cold or not I have a mat strap that locks the quilt in place to the mat around my hip. I can toss an turn all night and it keeps the quilt over me. In colder weather I have another strap that is cinched loosely around my midriff. I also have a snap about 6 inches down from the neck which I use when it's cold because it helps tuck the quilt under me.

When its cold, my process is; release the cinch around my neck, hold onto the midriff strap, roll and then cinch back around the neck.

Other than when it's cold, I don't bother with the midriff strap and toss and turn all night, pretty much like when I'm at home.

I got a -6C Down and a 10C Apex which covers me for all conditions. The -6 isn't what it used to be so I use both now in the snow. Would love a -15C bag if it would fit me
Last edited by crollsurf on Sat 24 Jul, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby stry » Sat 24 Jul, 2021 10:52 am

I have, and use, both a quilt and bags.

Flexibility and choices in how you use a quilt are big advantages. Given the ease with which one can vary set up and coverage to suit conditions, I would lean toward the warmer option with your quilt. Much easier to get comfortable with a bit too much quilt, than with not enough.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby warnesy » Sat 24 Jul, 2021 11:11 am

I'd second most if not all of crollsurfs advice. I pretty much exclusively use quilts now. Do I think that they are as warm as a bag, no, but way more comfortable to sleep and toss around in. And that's not to mention the weight saving. Now I find I sleep in more clothes than I did before, but I was carrying those clothes anyway.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sat 24 Jul, 2021 1:26 pm

Gryphon Gear US has a diagram well worth checking out on how to measure up for width with one of their quilts that could be universally adapted.
Under zero -you're wondering would you need a head covering? Sheet yeah, I do, above zero too. :D I have a good fleece balaclava/beanie (and mat) under a quite breathable Argon 67 windshirt/hoody (combo 70 gms) is gold for me for boosting warmth when needed.
Good luck.
Last edited by Lamont on Tue 27 Jul, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 24 Jul, 2021 4:08 pm

Lamont wrote: under a quite breathable Argon 67 windshirt/hoody (combo 70 gms) is gold for me for boosting warmth when needed.

How much of a boost do you reckon an Argon67 bivy (loose fitting) over your bag would give if you had to make up some numbers? I am asking for a friend that may have ordered a Borah bivy in both bug and Argon version. Okay, really that person is me :lol:
Intend to experiment myself, but wanted some Lamont input too.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby norts » Sat 24 Jul, 2021 5:45 pm

I use to use a sleeping bag but now use a Katabatic Quilt. I am using the Flex 22.Their system for attaching the quilt to the pad is very good. I only use the pad attachment when it is getting a bit cold ie winter. You do need a good beanie( well I do as I dont have much natural insulation on my noggin).
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Sun 25 Jul, 2021 2:45 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Lamont wrote: under a quite breathable Argon 67 windshirt/hoody (combo 70 gms) is gold for me for boosting warmth when needed.

How much of a boost do you reckon an Argon67 bivy (loose fitting) over your bag would give if you had to make up some numbers?

Of the amount I'm not sure.
Last edited by Lamont on Sat 31 Jul, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Al M » Sun 25 Jul, 2021 11:48 pm

Can’t recall what you said in the other post about whether you are a cold or warm sleeper.

Assuming you are warm sleeper the -5C bag with use of a 120g silk liner and clothing if needed would be my choice.

The equivalent to that in quilt is an over sized and 3-5C warmer rating also with liner and clothing, then you have to think about whether the extra weight in over size, extra fill and head cover is approaching a bag weight.

The issue is one can’t really escape the physics of it, a tighter fit but not compressing loft with less air voids to heat is always going to be warmer than a wider fit with more voids to heat per amount of overall material.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment