Macpac microlight not taught anymore

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac microlight not taught anymore

Postby trailmixisalie » Thu 29 Jul, 2021 1:23 pm

My macpac microlight is about 10 years old and the fabric is starting to sag having the problem no matter how taut I peg the corners out, its just one corner that is the majority of the proble. It's annoying because the inside fly touches the outside material and leaks in when i rub against. i have tried just tarp style (no fly) but when i sit up or move around i scrape it still.

is this the final days of it or is there a chance of revival?
trailmixisalie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a
Region: Victoria

Re: Macpac microlight not taught anymore

Postby EGM » Thu 29 Jul, 2021 1:39 pm

Some photos might be helpful for suggestions. Are the tie outs elasticated? That could help if not or if the elastic is old.
It should just be condensation you're transferring rather than the outer leaking.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 29 Jul, 2021 2:05 pm

The MacPac Microlight fly has always had a sagging problem that is related to the large amount of untensioned fabric on the largest wall section; pegging out the corners taut has no effect. This has for a long time been a subject of a lot of discussion among bushwalkers using the Microlight, and representations to MacPac have been made about the perceived "design flaw", but to my knowledge (and I have been a MacPac owner of tents since 1990), no significant change to the design had taken place to improve or reduce sagging. It is particularly bad when the wall is subject to wind force, and when sitting up making contact with the inner fly. A couple of owners I have known over the years took their Microlight for modification, having patch-reinforced guy-line points attached (2?) to the outer fly in order to overcome the sagging and/or flapping.

I used the Microlight on the summit of Kosziusko in 1991, cowering inside as a ferocious wind and electrical storm passed overhead. Then...calm. The flapping as described above was absolutely horrendous. I probably had it only for a few months longer, moving up to the Minaret in the following autumn (I have the Minaret, Moondance 1 and DuoLite).

If the tent is 10 years old, I would consider it to have provided very good and reliable service, and an upgrade could be considered, especially if the proofing has worn out or the seam-sealing is peeling off. Tents today are very, very expensive for what they are, so it is very much a personal choice what road you take.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trailmixisalie » Thu 29 Jul, 2021 5:25 pm

that is very helpful, and the experience at kozi sounds extreme and fun and wild and great haha. I like the idea of the modification and I too have thought of that i just dont know how to execute it but it would definitely aid the problem
trailmixisalie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a

Postby wayno » Fri 30 Jul, 2021 2:18 am

i've got a microlight, i wouldnt touch it in stormy weather, i have other tents to go to spefcifically for those conditions.
the single longditudinal pole has big limitations in remaining stable in wind.
i specifically bought it for trips with reasonable weather, especially with little wind.
the vestibule is so small its difficult to cook if its raining.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Biggles » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 10:45 am

trailmixisalie wrote:that is very helpful, and the experience at kozi sounds extreme and fun and wild and great haha. I like the idea of the modification and I too have thought of that i just dont know how to execute it but it would definitely aid the problem

Extreme and frightening (for me!). That trip was only my second overnight ski tour, and it was cut short by one night because of the forecast being picked up of rolling blizzards in the area we were traversing. We considered spending the second night at Seamans Hut, but decided to return back to Thredbo and see out the weather in the lodge. Our camp was right on the flank of Koscisuzko — but with no real view until after the evening storm had cleared when the mountains around us were bathed in hues of gold and red. In hindsight, the Microlight was not the right tent for those conditions, but it was the right tent for my limited budget at the time. If I was to return to that place and expect those conditions, I would take the Minaret, which has proven itself in pretty nasty rain and wind storms.

Regarding repairs and modifications, the place down in Melbourne... where specific repairs could be done: https://www.remoterepairs.com.au/

They're shifting to Hoppers Crossing from Point Cook later. They did many mods and repairs to my equipment over the years. It was founded by Andrew King (in early days, making his own rucksacks branded AIKING). Seems there is a whole new crew there now and no sign of AK.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 11:11 am

AK is now the owner of One Planet and Aiking rucksacks transmogrified into the full range of OP rucksacks
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment