Chasing storm guys.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Chasing storm guys.

Postby puredingo » Thu 05 Aug, 2021 7:42 am

G'day all, I've posted this in the classifieds but I thought I'd cover another base with an enquiry here.

I've lost 2 storm guys off my Macpac sololight and looking for to replace them. Maybe somebody has a retired, busted one they don't use?
macpac only offer the generic replacement guy and I'm too pedantic and a stickler for the original set to go there....weird, I know.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Chasing storm guys.

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 09 Aug, 2021 2:37 pm

Contact Macpac New Zealand. The Australian arm is pretty much useless if my recent experiences are anything to go on.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby EGM » Mon 09 Aug, 2021 2:55 pm

If you're more concerned about them all matching than being original just replace them all. Good opportunity for an upgrade.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 09 Aug, 2021 3:55 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Contact Macpac New Zealand. The Australian arm is pretty much useless if my recent experiences are anything to go on.

You can say that again. When on the phone to Macpac the bloke just googled the MP site and read the add to me.

I mean, I know I’m not the brightest button on the coat but I did think to do that first....can’t believe they don’t have replacement parts?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 09 Aug, 2021 3:57 pm

EGM wrote:If you're more concerned about them all matching than being original just replace them all. Good opportunity for an upgrade.

That might be my last desperate plan of action. It won’t trick my OCD though, no getting around that.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:14 am

puredingo wrote:G'day all, I've posted this in the classifieds but I thought I'd cover another base with an enquiry here.

I've lost 2 storm guys off my Macpac sololight and looking for to replace them. Maybe somebody has a retired, busted one they don't use?
macpac only offer the generic replacement guy and I'm too pedantic and a stickler for the original set to go there....weird, I know.

Qué?
MacPac do actually provide replacement guylines, the same OEMs as fitted to their tents, not "generic". I have had them replaced on my Minaret and Duolite! Go into a MacPac store or Adventure Hub. The guyline packs should be there.

On my MONT Moondance 1 (same 'sunflower yellow' as Minaret and Duolite), I have replaced the dull black/reflective braided lins with snazzy MSR's red/reflective braided guys with better antislip locking toggles. I think I bought these from BOGONG down in Melbourne 2 years or so ago.

MacPac's guylines are a little flimsy, hence my upgrade to the thicker MSR lines. EGM's suggestion of an upgrade is worth pursuing. Come Spring and I'll probably upgrade the lines on the Minaret and DuoLite tents, maybe something green to contrast with the yellow fabric, or brown...perhaps fluoro...choices, choices, choices! :o
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:17 am

Moondog55 wrote:Contact Macpac New Zealand. The Australian arm is pretty much useless if my recent experiences are anything to go on.

No, I don't agree with that assessment at all.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:28 am

Biggles wrote:

No, I don't agree with that assessment at all.

You've never asked them to measure the pit to pit dimension of a down garment?
Or been blown off when asking why they use Asian sizes for their down garments but Australian sizes for fleece?
You may have been lucky and got somebody who actually knew enough to answer a question but those I've spoken to or emailed have not been able or willing to help me find the information I needed.
Macpac are on a race to the bottom IMO
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment