Tent footprint as a tarp?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent footprint as a tarp?

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 11 Aug, 2021 7:44 pm

Toms Outdoors has footprints for my Helsport tent at half price so I thought I'd get one. They had 2 of them left so I decided I should get the last one to shove in my day pack as a shelter until I can get around to sewing up something lighter.
Being flooring material they are on the heavier side but 500 grams isn't really too much. Any tips or tricks in using the footprint as a tarp?
Decent size
1800mm * 4000mm approximately
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tent footprint as a tarp?

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 11 Aug, 2021 8:30 pm

First think about whether you want to pitch it “A Frame” (most common) or “Diagonal” (from the corners).

Assuming A Frame, then think about whether you want separate lines to connect to the trees or a Continuous Ridge Line.

Then select your lines and pegs to connect the sides to the ground and you’re right to go.

Once you’re ready to move up, look at adding doors, pullouts, built-in mozzie nets, etc, etc. I don’t do any of that but some people like it.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:45 am

Nice one Chris, I do suspect your tongue was firmly in your cheek just then. :)
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 4:58 pm

Mostly.
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 4:24 pm

The footprints have arrived and I inspected closely.
I didn't expect that a semi-disposable item like a footprint would be so well made and excellently finished.
To use as a tarp I'd simply need to add some tape and small rings at each anchor point, a ring just large enough to take a tent pole or a small LW becket
These footprints are long enough to cover the extended vestibules full floor; hence the 4 metre length. This Alpine/Tundra tent is not one for a small and tight camp site
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment