continuous baffles

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

continuous baffles

Postby fastfreddy » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi all.
Looking for some insight from those of you who have optioned the three ounce overfill on warmer Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends sleeping bags.
Does the overfill stop the dreaded down migration or is it still an issue?
Cheers
FF
fastfreddy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: continuous baffles

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 6:22 pm

I don't have a FF or WM bag. I have had overfills on on other bags with mixed results.

- it depends where the manufacturer puts the overfill. I had one bag with continuous vertical baffles that put the overfill mainly in the side baffles. For me that wasn't as effective putting it on the chest centre baffle even though the centre baffle already had a reasonable amount of down.

- obviously depends on how full the baffle was to begin with. An already full baffle won't have as much movement as a half full one.

- as I'm sure you know.. it's a bit of a pain but as long as the baffle has enough down you can always shake it before bed to get the down where you want it.

My advice..See if you can specify which baffles get overfilled.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: continuous baffles

Postby stry » Sat 14 Aug, 2021 8:23 am

I have the factory overfill in a couple of WM bags with no side baffle, and haven't noticed any migration of down. Haven't had a standard fill WM bag, so can't compare.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment