International shipping delays

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: International shipping delays

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 8:27 pm

Fat Canyoner, you what?! Thurs to Monday for your package to arrive. That is just unheard of. Very jealous! Did you hit up the Macpac sale, or something else?

Zapruda wrote:Excellent choice on the Quickstep. I regret selling mine.

That is good to hear -for me- better than hearing you sold it and were glad to see the back of it ;-)
You know, I was not overly excited about the purchase. It was more of a give it a go situation and Chris was happy to make it to my requests, price was good etc. It has really surprised me out of the package though. I loaded it out right away with my gear for an overnighter and stuffed food in my foodbag, 2lt of water and put it on. It felt so right straight away. I liked Chrs' design on the bottom pocket much better than my Atompacks Mo bottom pocket. All in with bottom pocket,solid front and side pockets and a shoulder strap pocket the pack is 390g total.
My one oversight was not considering my CCF- I had thought I may be able to rig up something with some shock cord off the little plastic clip things I have been on the QS and Pikas on his website, but I didn't get them. I can stand it in the front or side pockets though with enough room, it isnt too much taller than the pack to be a pain. I didn't get a Y -strap as I don't love my CCF mat horizontally over the top of the pack if I can help it.
Sorry Zapruda, very wordy response to your reply- I just have that new (very positive!) purchase high.

I love how you have rigged up your Notch Li, Tortoise. Better than a few cans of beans. I was feeling a little smug that I had won our parcel race, as I thought I was the dark horse, but am also very happy to hear that your much anticipated parcel has landed. I challenge you to put your talent to good work and take some great action shots of the tent on its maiden voyage. Outside, that is, not in your loungeroom, but that would be good too!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 8:36 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I love how you have rigged up your Notch Li, Tortoise. Better than a few cans of beans. I was feeling a little smug that I had won our parcel race, as I thought I was the dark horse, but am also very happy to hear that your much anticipated parcel has landed. I challenge you to put your talent to good work and take some great action shots of the tent on its maiden voyage. Outside, that is, not in your loungeroom, but that would be good too!

Yeah, pumpkins have their limitations. I reckon it'll take a bit of tweaking to get an excellent pitch, and try lowering the sides.
I most likely will need rocks to keep the guys low if I have to pitch on platforms. Doesn't happen often these days, but it does happen.
it might be a couple of weeks before I get to try it out for real, but I will sleep in it tonight. 8)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 9:37 pm

Enjoy your first nights sleep!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 10:05 pm

Ms_Mudd I hear you about the ccf strapped to the top. I hate it, especially off track in the scrub. I can often fit mine inside my pack after the first few days.

Chris is a hidden gem in the world of made to order packs. So quick and responsive. It seems there isn’t much he wouldn’t do in terms of custom work. Great prices as well!

I’m glad you like it. It looks great.

Here is my old quickstep :(

https://imgur.com/a/3BGXz0x
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Zapruda » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 10:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:I love how you have rigged up your Notch Li, Tortoise. Better than a few cans of beans. I was feeling a little smug that I had won our parcel race, as I thought I was the dark horse, but am also very happy to hear that your much anticipated parcel has landed. I challenge you to put your talent to good work and take some great action shots of the tent on its maiden voyage. Outside, that is, not in your loungeroom, but that would be good too!

Yeah, pumpkins have their limitations. I reckon it'll take a bit of tweaking to get an excellent pitch, and try lowering the sides.
I most likely will need rocks to keep the guys low if I have to pitch on platforms. Doesn't happen often these days, but it does happen.
it might be a couple of weeks before I get to try it out for real, but I will sleep in it tonight. 8)

I don’t often pitch my Notch super low but when I do I find it easier to peg the vestibules out first and then then ends. the poles go in last.

Such a good tent.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 7:50 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:My package arrived!!!!
Wahooooo
Zimmerbuilt custom QuickStep-- pretty darn happy. Worth the wait for sure.

Bonza! Nice colours.
I was sooo close to a Pika in Red. You just forgot one small detail..... :D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 9:16 am

Tortoise, how goes it is your Notch? Did the solid inner keep the breeze in your loungeroom at bay? Was there a lot of dew around this morning? Did you make coffee in your vestibule?

Lamont, yes! I am a goose!!! But thanks, other than my one oversight, it's a nice wee pack.

Zapruda wrote:Ms_Mudd I hear you about the ccf strapped to the top. I hate it, especially off track in the scrub. I can often fit mine inside my pack after the first few days.

I’m glad you like it. It looks great.

Here is my old quickstep :(

Nice! DCF , the thing would have weighed nothing! Did you get some extra length to it? I like your EE Pullover too, same colour as my jacket, I wish they were doing pullovers when I got mine. I agree, there is not much hype around Chris or Zimmerbuilt, but he was so quick to make it after we bounced some emails around, I can't fault anything about the finished product. The shoulder straps particularly work for me, quite straight compared to what I normally prefer, but spaced and anchored just so that they are perfect for me.

That is precisely why I hate CCF on top, it gets caught on everything up top horizontally. I would prefer vertically at the back of the pack or even horizontally at the base, much less likely to get caught here. I tried it in my QS and think it could work in Spring/Summer, however, I have a short torso. so it will mess with how the pack fits me I think. This pack may be the push I needed to try using a torso thinlight with just a buttpad for my hips in warmer weather though.....
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 12:39 pm

I had about 5 inches added to the collar on the pack. Just for some extra long food carries.

It’s actually a Nunatak PCT Apex pullover. Love that thing. One of my favourite pieces of gear. It will be a sad day when I have to retire it.

Enjoy it Ms_Mudd!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 1:45 pm

Zapruda wrote:I don’t often pitch my Notch super low but when I do I find it easier to peg the vestibules out first and then then ends. the poles go in last. Such a good tent.
Thanks heaps for the tip! And the reassurance. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 16 Sep, 2021 8:24 am

Nice addition Zapruda, pretty smart idea for barely any weight penalty.

How was the Notch sleeping experience Tortoise?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sat 18 Sep, 2021 8:54 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:How was the Notch sleeping experience Tortoise?

Hey Muddy,

I'm looking forward to getting a better pitch in real life. It'll take a bit of adjusting to get used to the smaller size than my palatial Akto and Scarp, to avoid hitting the walls with my tossing and turning. I confess I retired to bed at 3 am for a better sleep. I forgot that I usually have to take at least a phenergan to get a half-decent sleep in a tent these days, no matter how comfy I am. :cry:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby EGM » Fri 24 Sep, 2021 1:37 pm

Looks like I'm not the only one scouring the web for new hear to use once we're able and glad to see everyone seems happy with their purchases.

I've just made an eBay purchase from Denmark shipped with DHL (let's not mention what the P&H cost) so I'm pleased to read it's one of the fastest services.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 12:07 pm

Dhl is super quick!

What European goodness is coming your way?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 12:08 pm

I should add, just got a package from Zpacks in 9 days using UPS.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby EGM » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 12:46 pm

I picked up a used black diamond highlight on eBay. I'm embarassed to admit that it's actually coming from Germany which has the two letter abbreviation DE, whilst Denmark's is DK. You learn something new everyday.

9 days is impressive, I've been waiting that long for something to come from the other side of Melbourne.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 3:39 pm

Exciting! I just googled the BD tent, hadnt heard of it before, looks great.
Ahh its all Europe, never mind the exact country ;-)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 8:10 am

BTW, Black Diamonf is a US company started in 1957 by Yvon Chouinard, a climber.
You might remember Bibler tents (made with ToddTex , their name for GoreTex) . BD took that brand over in 1996.
Paddy Pallin used to be (maybe still are) the importers/distribuitors for those two brands.
There are at least 3 versions of the Hilight,made with different fabrics . The first was made with Epic , yellow finish.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby EGM » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 10:32 am

Yes I think it's a shame more BD stuff isn't available here I really like their functional design philosophy.

3 materials for the highlight. I'm hoping Mike is nanoshield but it could be Epic
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 12:22 pm

EGM wrote:Yes I think it's a shame more BD stuff isn't available here I really like their functional design philosophy.

3 materials for the highlight. I'm hoping Mike is nanoshield but it could be Epic

You will get a surprise whenever it turns up then ;-)

The only BD tent I owned was a Megalight Mid, I may have a bit of sellers regret on letting it go....
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 01 Oct, 2021 10:46 pm

US Postal Service has halted deliveries to Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/consume ... 58wb8.html
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 02 Oct, 2021 6:27 am

GPSGuided wrote:US Postal Service has halted deliveries to Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/consume ... 58wb8.html

Hopefully temporary until international passenger flights resume in greater numbers to/from the US and Australia.. potentially later this year.

A lot of the lost capacity would come from cargo holds of passenger jets I'd assume.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 03 Oct, 2021 8:35 am

My parcel seems to be caught up in this....San Fran international - Sacramento Regional - San Fran - Sacramento - San Fran - Sacramento.
Back & forth between these depots for the last 6days. Hasn't been returned to sender...yet. :roll:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Franco » Mon 04 Oct, 2021 11:47 am

Photo taken this Sunday morning in the Sunshine (Melbourne) distribuition centre.
3aw-image-parcels-australia_post-sunshine-600x400.jpg
3aw-image-parcels-australia_post-sunshine-600x400.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 16607 times

Good news : your parcel is there.
Bad news : your parcel is there.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Mon 04 Oct, 2021 12:31 pm

:lol:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 04 Oct, 2021 2:31 pm

Franco wrote:Photo taken this Sunday morning in the Sunshine (Melbourne) distribution centre.
3aw-image-parcels-australia_post-sunshine-600x400.jpg

Good news : your parcel is there.
Bad news : your parcel is there.

Worse news (if we're concerned about unemployment figures):

Fast forward a decade or so, and that centre could be crawling with robots.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 6:34 pm

It's here ! Brisbane...oh hang on that's Brisbane, California...then back to good ol' Sacramento. False alarm. :lol:

Ignoring the alerts from now on, it gets here when it gets here. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 27 Oct, 2021 6:42 pm

Shipping delays from OS over the past 6months have now become horrendous! The problem is the shipping delays are now affecting the entire worldwide manufacturing system that simply can't get some basic raw materials for manufacturing some products anymore. I ordered/paid for a $1000 Western Mountaineering Versalite sleeping bag for my wife from an online store in California in May - the bag has still not arrived! (Been offered a refund) Western Mountaineering are now no longer taking orders from the stores in US as they can't even get many basic raw materials to manufacturer many of their products!

OtherStuff: I ordered 4 books - from UK (BookDepository) and US (Amazon). Some ordered in mid August and others in early Sept. None have arrived yet - not one! After 6 weeks one store just automatically just gave me a refund - 'Unable to Deliver'. One was a very special book AUD$270 - ordered in mid August special delivery - now missing. (Got a refund)

Domestically: Ordered a hairdryer from the JB HiFi warehouse. $Express Post took 5weeks from despatching - 35km from one side of Melbourne to the other!

Many international cargo only airlines (Polar/Kallita/Atlas/UPS/FedEx airlines etc etc) have increased cargo flights to Australia exponentially over the past ~20months - but still can't keep up.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 15 Dec, 2021 12:39 pm

Surprise! My 2x Western Mountaineering Versalite sleeping bags arrived today - and I thought they were still stuck in a huge postal warehouse somewhere in LA. Hooray! 4weeks with USPS from Cali to Melbourne.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 9:01 pm

Just got an order that came via Mexico (semi-custom electronics) shipped beginning of November. So some stuff is moving still, of course I did also just get a Kickstarter delivery that was nearly two years overdue having sat many months on a loading dock in Korea, but hey, it arrived, so at least I have that going for me.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Equipment