Fit My Tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Fit My Tent

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 6:19 pm

Why had I not discovered this before?! I must have been living under a rock. Or just not spending as much time online and now am, thanks to lockdown.

I am contemplating two particular shelters (SMD Deschutes Vs. Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp with Doors) and had been really spending load of time trying to work out how each would be given my height, how much space was offered etc etc and then stumbled across this site. Entered my height, the shelters I was interested in and BAM there were all the stats and a cool visual representation. Fun!
http://fitmytent.com/index.html
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Fit My Tent

Postby Snooze » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 12:02 am

That "You!" has an amazing hourglass figure. (Is "You!" wearing a corset?)
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 3:23 am

Kind of a cool idea, although the tent choices are rather limited.

One thing missing is an estimate sitting height as a function of pad thickness. Part of the reason I gave up on my thicker 2" pad in favor of a thinner one was that with a thicker pad my head hit the ceiling of most tents when I was sitting up.

The Copper Spur (which came up by default on the app) is also an asymmetric tent. With a partner I find that it isn't very comfortable unless we sleep head to toe. But the app doesn't capture that information either.

I wouldn't count on the app telling you the whole truth. But it's a starting point.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Lamont » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 7:04 am

Pocket tarp and polycryo floor. Bingo, bango..
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 7:18 am

Excellent find, useful and lot's of fun. Not enough tents but I guess that will change with time. I would love to see Hilleberg's on there - I'm not going to buy one any time soon, I just want to see if I fit. The personalized figure is pretty cool too - I gave myself shoulders broader than Arnie Schwarzeneggers. Unfortunately my butt remains commensurately large. Oh well.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 9:29 am

Snooze wrote:That "You!" has an amazing hourglass figure. (Is "You!" wearing a corset?)

It's worn weight, so it doesn't count , right?

It was pretty fun to play around with and rather convenient that the two shelters I was looking at were there.

Lamont, you beautiful genius, you read my mind. Borah bivy too if I was feeling worried about leeches on my eyeballs. I kind of like the dirt colour DCF, but it adds 42grams. Doesn't sound like much but on a shelter that light, it is kind of a big deal. I liked it from stealth perspective and would replace the bright spectra cord too.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 11:43 am

Last edited by Lamont on Mon 30 Aug, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Franco » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 6:00 pm

Since probably 10 years ago Tarptent has had a 3D clip of all of the tents with a 6' dummy inside laying down and sitting up on top of a 1" mat.
Under Usable Volume in each product page.
Pro Trail.jpg
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 9:04 pm

Franco wrote:Since probably 10 years ago Tarptent has had a 3D clip of all of the tents with a 6' dummy inside laying down and sitting up on top of a 1" mat.
Under Usable Volume in each product page.
Pro Trail.jpg

I have liked that TT do that and have used that imagery to browse before purchasing my TT of choice.

A 6' man is going to have way less room than this 5'1" woman on a bit of CCF, so I can reliably say that is useful.

I liked being able to input my height on the linked site above and browse a few different tents too, super fun!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 31 Aug, 2021 9:28 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote: Unfortunately my butt remains commensurately large. Oh well.

Usually a problem I also face, both in created computer figures and real life.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment