shovel for car camping

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

shovel for car camping

Postby GrahameR » Mon 06 Sep, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi, I am after a reasonable quality small foldable shovel for car camping (for latrine, or at a pinch, bogged). There is such a range of products out there. Not fussed about an 'Amazon import' because they are very cheap BUT of unknown quality.

Any suggestions please?

TIA
Grahame
GrahameR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: shovel for car camping

Postby tastrax » Mon 06 Sep, 2021 3:50 pm

Personally I prefer a fixed handle rather than foldable and have one very similar to this

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca ... 92820.html
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 06 Sep, 2021 7:57 pm

I too prefer a fixed handle, personal choice is something a bit bigger than the small one in the above link but in that general shape and in white season I also carry a cheap shovel from Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/spear-jacks ... l_p3360623
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 8:01 am

There is a variety of short, fixed handled shovels that would work for you. My first was acquired when I had a VW beetle, in which space was at a premium. Dunno where it is now. Maybe 600/700 long with no T handle. Worked very well for latrine holes and light bog (no pun) removal. Short, fixed handled shovels are also very handy if a wheel needs to be changed.

Nowadays for those duties or as a "just in case" I carry something like this.

https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/aust ... hovel.html Compact, functional, and nearly soldier proof. Not much help in wheel changing.

If I have room, or anticipate much need, I carry a long handled post hole shovel, which will reach well under a vehicle and is comfortable to use for other excavations. It fits inside, and across, the tail gate of the Hilux, but I think would be a pain in a conventional car.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 11:31 am

I've just bought this one: https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... l/90032645

...but haven't tried it yet.

Being aluminium, it would not be suitable for hard ground. But for sand or soggy mud, I think it should be fine.

I actually bought this one for bushwalking, not car camping, so being light-weight was the priority here. We need to dig a toilet pit for a bunch of kids at a sandy location past the trees back behind a beach, and I reckon this will do the trick - so long as there are not too many roots to dig through.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby GrahameR » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 12:53 pm

Thanks all for the useful suggestions.

One Q for stry: how do you use a shovel for changing a wheel?
("Short, fixed handled shovels are also very handy if a wheel needs to be changed.")

cheers
GrahameR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 2:39 pm

You need to decide what the primary purpose is. Square mouth shovels are used mainly for moving materials while spades are used for cutting into the ground. Round end shovels fall in between being ok for shifting sand etc and digging holes. I keep a small round end shovel in the car ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-fiber ... l_p0166660 ) for digging toilet holes etc, I also have a collapsible square mouth shovel for trips to the snow or the beach.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby stry » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 8:54 am

GrahameR wrote:Thanks all for the useful suggestions.

One Q for stry: how do you use a shovel for changing a wheel?
("Short, fixed handled shovels are also very handy if a wheel needs to be changed.")

cheers

I use it as a lever to take the weight of the wheel when jiggling it off and onto the studs.

Once the nuts are off, slide the blade of the shovel under the contact patch and push down on the handle with one hand to slightly lift the wheel, whilst maneuvering the wheel off the studs. Slide/drag the shovel, with the wheel still sitting on it, away from the studs, whilst steadying the wheel with your free hand. Reverse procedure to replace wheel.

A real back saver, particularly with heavy wheels.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 9:35 am

I've changed a few wheels in my time and that is a great idea.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GrahameR » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 6:06 pm

Yep good idea stry esp for big 4WD tyres.
GrahameR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GrahameR » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks, Mark F. Looking online it seems ideal. But will wait until I can actually get into the store (post lockdown) before buying.

Cheers all.
GrahameR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bill P » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 10:16 pm

Hi Graeme,

I carry a takeapart long handled shovel in the car spare wheel well. This one: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/rid ... 23835.html.

Steel blade and fibre glass handle. I dont use the D handle, but the vinyl bag is handy if the shovel gets clayey.

Great for vehicle recovery and strong enough for most purposes.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment