Pack covers

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Pack covers

Postby CBee » Wed 13 Oct, 2021 5:38 pm

I found the southwest very good on the W-arthurs, as others said, probably my best pack for climbing or hard scrambling because feels like glued to the body rather than pulling out. Also to me very comfortable on my shoulders and I was not expecting that. But I ripped the side pockets material that I found to be not very strong. Before that I had an exos and I remember destroying it on a Federation trip. Also, I found it harder to pack, as the capacity stated I think includes the stretching outside pocket, but in reality, in scrubby terrain, is not a good idea to have that pocket overfilled. Also the removable top is very badly designed and only usable with the pack underloaded. But I still own a 28L exos and I use it only on 2/3 days hikes in QLD and is perfectly ok, as long you stay away from off-track terrain.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Warin » Wed 13 Oct, 2021 6:41 pm

Dexter wrote:Sounds like it could work well! So long as you don't care about using it to sit on or put stuff on while packing up like mentioned earlier.

Warin wrote:. I think something to cover the shoulders as well would reduce the water tricking down your back - and the pack. Perhaps with a hood too.

This would be interesting to see how it would go. You're almost getting into hybrid poncho pack cover territory.

I have thought of a poncho but ..
A poncho would not suit me, I prefer separate water proofing as that means I can setup/take down/lunch in the rain without getting things too wet. Also means I can do side trips without the pack/poncho.

There is the added weight and complication of the shoulder cover, but I think it is manageable.

--------------------
Packs ..
The Exos would be good in warmer areas where you don't expect much rain.
For cold wet place the HMG and similar would be good - not much of a problem with sweating on the back and a simpler bag to water proof.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 8:05 am

Dexter wrote:Awesome. Good to know it's not the throw away product it was made to sound like in the video I saw. What tape do you use by the way? I probably should grab some at some point.

HMG have a (kinda expensive) repair kit with a few patches and strips that I bought at the same time as the pack and pods - thicker stuff that suits their pack material. Tarptent always include a bunch of offcuts with their tents, and have made good on their promise to send extra bits if need be (native rat chewing a hole through the DRLi used up the first lot).

Ultralight Hiker also sell tape for not much - https://ultralighthiker.com.au/collecti ... epair-tape
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 8:13 am

headwerkn wrote:
Dexter wrote:Awesome. Good to know it's not the throw away product it was made to sound like in the video I saw. What tape do you use by the way? I probably should grab some at some point.

HMG have a (kinda expensive) repair kit with a few patches and strips that I bought at the same time as the pack and pods - thicker stuff that suits their pack material. Tarptent always include a bunch of offcuts with their tents, and have made good on their promise to send extra bits if need be (native rat chewing a hole through the DRLi used up the first lot).

Ultralight Hiker also sell tape for not much - https://ultralighthiker.com.au/collecti ... epair-tape

Yeah I have a few little bits somewhere that came with my Tarptent. I should dig that stuff out. Cheers. I might grab a little more, I was hoping to grab a shoulder strap pocket from Ultralight when they come back in stock... I'll grab some extra tape when I do.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 9:05 am

CBee wrote:I found the southwest very good on the W-arthurs, as others said, probably my best pack for climbing or hard scrambling because feels like glued to the body rather than pulling out. Also to me very comfortable on my shoulders and I was not expecting that. But I ripped the side pockets material that I found to be not very strong. Before that I had an exos and I remember destroying it on a Federation trip. Also, I found it harder to pack, as the capacity stated I think includes the stretching outside pocket, but in reality, in scrubby terrain, is not a good idea to have that pocket overfilled. Also the removable top is very badly designed and only usable with the pack underloaded. But I still own a 28L exos and I use it only on 2/3 days hikes in QLD and is perfectly ok, as long you stay away from off-track terrain.

Definitely agree that the exos is less robust. I'm slowly destroying mine..but it has held up suprisingly well. 3 years, probably still got another year, maybe two of use. For the price the value has been excellent.

Most of my walks are off track and I do have to be more careful especially when I'm pushing through non flexible scrub so I slow down and make sure branches are pushed away from the side mesh. I've still needed to sew up a few mesh tears. The pack nylon and the frame have held up well with no damage but I don't throw it off ledges or pack haul with it. If scrambling is a bit dicey.. passing packs has been a good way to prevent the material damage that a haul might have caused.

I just love the back trampoline and the mesh pockets for water storage. It's so convenient to always have water handy and no how much you have at a glance.

I've found the top lid ok. There is three seperate height attachment points, so there is a fair bit of flexibility. I did fit 11 days worth of food in my exos 48. Definitely pushing it for that one but worked out ok.

headwerkn wrote:
I will say for more technical climbing-walks eg. Western Arthurs having a pack that sits in tight against your back does help a lot with stability and confidence when hanging off vegetation and rocks. I notice with "traditional" harnesses just how far back your centre of gravity feels, compared to the HMG (and presumably any other more minimal pack).

Agree. I recently tried in a one planet pack. Noticed the centre of gravity was different. Strangely I don't notice this with the exos despite it seemingly having a rearward centre of grav due to the trampoline back. Maybe it's just what you are used to..

I'm going to have another go at trying on the one planet now we are out of lockdown. Really liked the features on the OP tussock and the weight was good for a robust pack.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 10:32 am

wildwanderer wrote:
Agree. I recently tried in a one planet pack. Noticed the centre of gravity was different. Strangely I don't notice this with the exos despite it seemingly having a rearward centre of grav due to the trampoline back. Maybe it's just what you are used to..

I'm going to have another go at trying on the one planet now we are out of lockdown. Really liked the features on the OP tussock and the weight was good for a robust pack.

A friend recently got an Extrovert which handled the bushbashing out to Macs and Nereus really well. Good clean design that doesn't seem to snag on anything (she took off the bungee cord on the back). Not quite as light/hi-tech/sexy as a HMG (1.3kg versus 900g) but a fair bit cheaper and Aussie made too.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 2:16 pm

Just an update - I was a little concerned about the size of my new pack since I broke my own rule and didn't try it on in store. Covid made it really difficult to do it any other way. I measured myself about 5 times and was surprised that my size was a Medium by Osprey's chart. Being around 6'2" I've always been around a Large... and the One Planet bag is a Large too. I eagerly unwrapped the pack, loosened the straps and threw it on my back and had that sinking feeling 'This is too small'. I put on my One Planet to compare which immediately fit me like a glove. I started to google returns procedures when I thought I really should get some weight into it first before I get ahead of myself. I grabbed some random camping gear to fill it out and add weight. All of a sudden, it felt much better. Not perfect as the shoulder straps were basically right to the end of what they'd allow, but sitting lower on my back and didn't feel so wrong. Then after picking up the pack again I suddenly had all this extra shoulder strap length... The lower part of the straps had been the wrong side of the waist belt (must be how they ship them). After fixing that up it's absolutely perfect, and fit me so snug! I was a lot more motivated to dig out my packing list and try a proper pack to see how it would go. With all my gear, 3L of water, and 3 days of food in there it weighed in at 11kg, and so comfy I didn't really want to take it off and felt like marching up a non existent mountain. Maybe I'll bust out the stove and cook some noodles at the top of the stairs instead.

I'm still undecided on adding a pack cover :D
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Fri 15 Oct, 2021 12:20 pm

Agree - I am the same. I use Karrimor SF Packs for durability and size as use for work too overseas, etc. They come with pack covers that fit well and waterproof excellently. I always add a little elastic clip across the middle to secure with more confidence in high winds, etc. Makes a great extra little awning on a tent in wet weather with a hiking pole and some paracord guy lines, great for cooking under, etc. I always use a liner inside my pack too like many others.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment