Refillable gas lighters?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Refillable gas lighters?

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Apr, 2022 3:20 pm

A couple of questions.
Are there any recommendations from members for any suitable for winter bushwalking that members can both recommend and that are for sale here in Oz at the moment?
If none are currently available is the SOTO blowtorch with lighter worth $25-?
And further I see on the SOTO website they are refilling with butane/iso and propane mix and while I would like this for winter is it dangerous to an extreme with our relatively mild white season temperatures?
Links to available units and recommendations gratefully received.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Refillable gas lighters?

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 03 Apr, 2022 7:19 pm

The soto should be fine, I have a Brunton Helios, and while I guess I've gotten my money's worth, I don't really think its worth its cost. The advantage of the cartridge torch is that you can more easily pack a refill, rather than worry about running out of fuel with a half full lighter. The pressures of the propane/iso mix are fine, I've seen those torches sold all over the place.
The only factor would be keeping it dry, and ideally a bit warm. The brunton is well sealed, so it handles that on it's own, but I'm sure you can figure out a way to keep a lighter safe.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Refillable gas lighters?

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 04 Apr, 2022 7:58 am

I can buy a lot of disposable lighters for $40-
Perhaps this is one of those "wants" rather than a need.
I've no real need for the blowtorch.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment