Daypack - simple light effective (1 day)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Daypack - simple light effective (1 day)

Postby gbagua » Fri 15 Apr, 2022 3:36 pm

Osprey are over engineered. Deuter I like them but damn heavy (got the Futura 24 that I only use now to carry climbing gear to the local crag where I train; I wouldn't walk more than 2k with this thing fully packed as it feels I'm carrying stuff like a sherpa in the Himalayas!). Like the look of Atom packs but they are expensive and prefer to try something on before buying it, so unfortunately out of the question.

Cilogear packs. Thumbs up! Anyone using them?

Need something between the 20-30l range but the lower the better as obviously the weight of the pack will drop.

To accomodate for:

4L of water
Food
Lightweight jacket
Rope when required (50m)
Harness and other safety climbing gear but minimal like some tape, rap rings and a belay device; no racks and the like
Approach shoes
Headlamp x 2
Power bank
Phone

*For the sake of simplicity the roll-top design is the way to go for me.

Any recommendations?

gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Daypack - simple light effective (1 day)

Postby johnw » Sat 16 Apr, 2022 7:30 pm

I'm not a climber but that seems a reasonable amount of weight when you add it all up.
For an unfussy, comfortable rugged pack what about Wilderness Equipment? I've used a WE Contour for remote bushcare for years.
Also gets used for some day walks and has been interstate and overseas a number of times as carry on, plus destination hiking.
Simple top loading canvas pack that only weighs 1kg. Looks like that model has had significant design changes but the Traverse is very similar.
I've seen that one in a retail shop and would consider it if I was looking for a replacement. 33 litres and also weighs ~1kg.
Depending where you are it looks like Fortitude Valley and Burleigh Heads have retail stockists for WE.

https://www.wildernessequipment.com.au/our-gear//daypacks/canvas-daypacks/traverse-olive/
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment