Mont Helium 600 vs One Planet Bungle -10°c

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mont Helium 600 vs One Planet Bungle -10°c

Postby Iamspartacus » Sun 01 May, 2022 6:17 pm

Hi,

I want to buy my wife a sleeping bag for her birthday, and would be grateful for some advice pls.

She wants something for the 3 Capes in Tassie. Something nice and roomy. And then to be used as a bag for the cooler seasons in South East Queensland.

I thought about getting her a Feathered Friends Flicker (like I have) or maybe a Enlightened Equipment Convert (as they can be made a bit warmer), but would prefer something Australian made.

So... I'm trying to decide between the Mont Helium 600 women's and the One Planet Bungle short (-10°c version).

It seems both are tapered rectangular, use 800+ down and are rated at -10°c (or -4°c for cold sleepers).

The One Planet is quite a bit cheaper, although that's not a key factor for me (a good bag lasts for ever and is worth it).

I'd be grateful for any and all advice that helps me discriminate between the two. Particularly advice from someone with experience of both bags.

Also open to ideas about some other better options?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Iamspartacus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Mont Helium 600 vs One Planet Bungle -10°c

Postby metastable » Sun 01 May, 2022 8:28 pm

No experience with it, but the Sea to Summit Flame Fm4 Wmn's Sleeping Bag (−10 °C) might be an option? Australian company I believe, lighter than the options you provided and I think in the same price range? https://www.snowys.com.au/flame-fm4-wmn ... g-bag-10-c
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 01 May, 2022 8:55 pm

Just remember that none of the Australian bags are actually made here, most if not all come from China.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Mon 02 May, 2022 7:22 am

OP at least fill and finish their bags here (last I checked). Neither of the other companies mentioned make anything at all in Oz I'm pretty sure. STS is not an Oz company.
Last edited by Lamont on Tue 03 May, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 02 May, 2022 7:41 am

Ms Mudd has an OP Cocoon if I remember correctly, which is a generously proportioned mummy bag. S2S is an Australian/International company and the headquarters are still in WA even if their main market focus is now the USA
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 04 May, 2022 3:03 pm

Mont helium series are nice bags. They have a full length zip and foot zip which is nice for the warmer nights.

I'd rate Mont bags above sea to summit bags. No experience with op ones
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 04 May, 2022 4:22 pm

My wife and kids all have One Planet Bungles (not -10° though). They are all happy with them, having used them in the snow and ice on the overland track a while back.

I reckon that -10° might be overkill for the 3 capes and SE QLD. But would be well worthwhile if you think you might do anything more extreme than that in the future.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby sandym » Wed 04 May, 2022 7:10 pm

I have the One Planet Bushlite rated to -11C. So far, it is great. Water-resistant covering so does not get damp with dew or condensation and the down is treated with water repellant stuff. It is warm enough for me as a warm sleeper. The bushlite is a slim fitting bag, I prefer as it is lighter to carry. I would not pin my hopes on the -11 or -10 or whatever rating the bag is as these always prove very subjective.

I suspect I would find mine required extra clothing in anything approaching -10C and I sleep hot. I know they have new rating scales for these to try and filter out the subjectivity of the bag ratings but I think they are still mostly bogus in practice.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Warin » Wed 04 May, 2022 8:39 pm

sandym wrote:I know they have new rating scales for these to try and filter out the subjectivity of the bag ratings but I think they are still mostly bogus in practice.

'The new rating scales', if properly tested and then stated, are a guide as to which bags are warmer/colder than others. The tests also assume that the user is wearing thermal cloths.
The variation between the test results and an individual maybe explained as the variation between the 'average human' (whatever they consider that to be) and the individual at that time (fit/unfit, exhausted, just eaten/hungry, etc).
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 04 May, 2022 10:54 pm

I recently bought my +1 a Western Mountaineering Versalite sleeping bag. Rated to -12C. With 850+ goose down and only 850grams in weight.
Made in USA it just oozes quality and even has the name/signature of the individual that made the bag on a tag inside the bag.The US online store
we purchased it from has an arrangement with WM and have their bags filled with an extra 10% down than normal at no extra cost.
Was about AUD$750 delivered to my doorstep - admittedly took a while for delivery with the worldwide slowdown of mail/shipping due Covid.
Attachments
versalite_2013_side_open-850x243.png
IMG_6397.jpg
IMG_6397.jpg (125.29 KiB) Viewed 7825 times
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby fastfreddy » Wed 18 May, 2022 5:25 pm

Have both a Mont Helium and a O/P Bungle in use within the family.
I consider the One Planet to be a superior bag for the following reasons:
1) The continuous baffles in the Mont allow far too much down movement during the night (restless sleeper). Nothing worse than being woken several times a night because the down has migrated to where it does no good.
2) The hood on the Helium is much less structured than that of the O/P.
3)The Helium lacks a neck Baffle (like the O/P Cocoon) which appears to be an odd oversight on a -10 bag.
4)The zipper anti snag treatment on the Mont does not measure up to that of the O/P Bungle.
Hope this helps.
fastfreddy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gbagua » Sat 21 May, 2022 8:22 am

Stew63 wrote:The US online store
we purchased it from has an arrangement with WM and have their bags filled with an extra 10% down than normal at no extra cost.

Which online store was that?

Thanks!
gbagua

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 21 May, 2022 11:07 am

gbagua wrote:
Stew63 wrote:The US online store

Which online store was that?

Thanks!

https://hermitshut.com/collections/west ... taineering
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment