Pack selection: Aether Pro 70 L vs Flex Capacitor 40-60L

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pack selection: Aether Pro 70 L vs Flex Capacitor 40-60L

Postby Micke » Mon 02 May, 2022 7:21 pm

Have narrowed down choice of updated pack for walks of up to 5 days. Have already down sized weight of tent, mat and sleep bag so expect to do same for pack as well.(also stove and cookware!)

Looking for guidance from for those that have used either pack. The Flex Capacitor is intriguing but not available to try on in Melbourne (AFAIK). Do have some concerns re quality for the Flex Capacitor based on comments on web from some users.
The Aether Pro is 600g heavier and overall the reviews I've seen indicate it has a somewhat better harness and tougher materials.

Advice appreciated!
Micke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Pack selection: Aether Pro 70 L vs Flex Capacitor 40-60L

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 04 May, 2022 3:12 pm

Aether pro is reasonably light at approx 1.7kg for a bag with a beefy harness. It can carry a big load if you need that.

Materials are robust for the weight. It's also a good bag if you do cross country skiing.

One thing to watch for is the lumber pad. Its fairly hard, some people think the harness/lumber pad feels fantastic others think there is something uncomfortable sticking into their back. Different shape torsos I guess.

No experience with flex capacitor.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Micke » Sun 08 May, 2022 12:05 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Aether pro is reasonably light at approx 1.7kg for a bag with a beefy harness. It can carry a big load if you need that.
One thing to watch for is the lumber pad. Its fairly hard, some people think the harness/lumber pad feels fantastic others think there is something uncomfortable sticking into their back. Different shape torsos I guess.

No experience with flex capacitor.

Appreciate comments re Aether Pro. Have gone for the Flex Capacitor. It is 600g lighter, cheaper and most importantly is available for purchase now! The Aether Pro seems to be out of stock everywhere so couldn't try that on while the Flex Cap is only available from one store in Sydney & I'm in Melb. If the Flex Capacitor doesn't work out then the Aether Pro will be available somewhere in middle of the year apparently (per Padddy Pallin staff).

Interestingly for a 1.2 kg pack, the Flex Cap. is frequently commented on by reviewers as being capable with heavier loads. I'm doing my best to never find that out by reducing base weight by >5kg and reviewing everything being carried.
Micke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby jwpfox » Sun 08 May, 2022 11:24 pm

Osprey Aether Plus 70 seems to be available here just in case it's still of interest:
https://www.bundyoutdoors.com.au/bags-b ... ckpacking/

No association or recommendation, just stumbled on it and recalled this thread.
jwpfox
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mcspud » Sat 28 May, 2022 12:27 pm

Go lightweight. Dumped my aether for a HMG. Never going back again. And I did like the aether
Mcspud
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Return to Equipment