Chair Frame with Accordion-style CCF Mats

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Chair Frame with Accordion-style CCF Mats

Postby lilgumnut » Wed 11 May, 2022 5:27 pm

Has anyone used a chair frame like the S2S Air Chair with a an accordion-style folding closed cell foam mat like the z-lite? I like the idea of a chair frame to give an additional function to gear you're already carrying (especially if you use the mat as a seat anyway), but wonder if the accordion folds would cause it to collapse on itself? Can't seem to find anything online, would be keen to see if anyone's tried it.
lilgumnut
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Chair Frame with Accordion-style CCF Mats

Postby Franco » Fri 13 May, 2022 10:18 am

Interesting question because at first I thought it would collapse but then I could not figure out why it should.
Ask S2S, it is possible that someone there has tried that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby bernieq » Fri 13 May, 2022 11:53 am

DSCN5535.jpg
220g ripstop nylon chair
DSCN5535.jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Years ago, I made a "chair" for a flat HDCC (high density closed cell) mat. There was one centre stick to prop up the back (rather than two struts on the side as in the commercial ones). It worked OK but I moved on to a much more comfortable Exped hyperlite mat. For a chair, I decided to accept the extra weight (and extra comfort) of a Helinox chair zero (500g vs 220g for the home-made).

What I don't really understand is the attraction of those folding HDCC mats. Yes, costs less and certainly can't puncture - but an Exped, for example, weighs less, is way more comfortable and packs up into a much smaller volume.

To reply to your question, as long as there’s enough friction between the mat and the chair material, I'd reckon it would work OK.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Fri 13 May, 2022 12:05 pm

Typically I use a rock or fallen tree to lean against, along with a 1/8 inch CCF mat I drag along, to sit on and to stop my sleeping mat slipping around. I prefer to sit on a rock/tree trunk rather than lean against it.
If you've got a bad back, I can see the case for carrying one of those chairs, but mostly, it's just extra weight you don't need.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment