seeking advice on: Earth Sea Sky Nano Primaloft Jacket

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

seeking advice on: Earth Sea Sky Nano Primaloft Jacket

Postby being_wise » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 2:26 pm

Hi All,

Looking for advice on ESS Nano Primaloft jacket https://earthseasky.co.nz/product/nano-primaloft-jacket/

Setting aside price for the minute, whilst still loving that its Made in New Zealand

Looking around, it has significantly more fill that the competition (Mont Moondog is 100g in chest 60g in arms) Arcteryx Atom AR (other than being out of stock) doesn't list it but looking at the total weights must be around 60-100g insulation, Patagonia Nano Puff and Rab Xenon are in similar "not that warm" (based on total weights) catagory.

Most Synthetic offerings seems to be lighter - especially when that company makes a competitive down jacket in the "seriously warm" category. In My opinion a warm synthetic is a much better option in wet and cold Aussie conditions (TAS, NSW, VIC). This would be used in both active and end of day situations - layering with a rain jacket and thermals/shirt for Snow shoeing, Back country ski touring, Potentially resort skiing, cold weather bush walking.

Has anyone used one?
Thoughts on how the Entrant outer fabric stacks up when pack carrying?
Other advise or options?

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-s ... ed-jackets

Thanks!
being_wise
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: seeking advice on: Earth Sea Sky Nano Primaloft Jacket

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 2:52 pm

First off what's your usage?
Ditto query on temperature range and conditions.
Is it for active use here over a base layer or are you looking for a basecamp static layer?
135GSM would be close to the insulation weight of my old DAS parka and that is too warm for an active layer for my use above the snowline here where-as the Nanopuff layer is about right over an UL fleece/winter baselayer but with terrible design feature in the exposed stitching. The time I experimented with using my UL down from Uniqlo plus my layered Nanopuff I found that combo wasn't as warm as the DAS parka.
Secondly does the fit match your needs?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby being_wise » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 3:14 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't say I'm a warm person. I basically need to be on the move to maintain body heat and cool down very quickly (read: Skinny with no body fat and lean "muscle" and high metabolism).

This would be used in both low activities (walking, cross country skiing - not racing anywhere), in bad weather (with rain wear) and general end of day / exploring the campsite situations. Often I'm the person doing things at night or checking in on others - so simply jumping in the sleeping bag to warm up isn't a viable option.

Or put another way: used for vic/nsw alpine winter conditions, Tassie wet/cold winter conditions.
In terms of activities: snow shoeing, back country ski touring, potentially as a resort skiing jacket (AKA chairlift), cold weather/wet weather bush walking.

I currently wear a 260 weight thermal + Windpro fleece and thick beanie. This would replace that setup and potentially offer more versatility for similar/lower weight + i could add back in the 260 weight thermal for crappy snowstorm weather or other similar cold experiences.

Any further thoughts? Has anyone used or seen one in person? I cant see anywhere to try on in Aus.
being_wise
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 3:34 pm

So what Mark Twight would deem an "Action Suit"?
I think it might be just a bit warm for that if the sleeves/arms are also 135GSM insulated.
Have you tried either of the common softshell layering systems yet, a windproof layer incorporated with a windproof layer and adding a LW synthetic vest as additional core warmth?
Have you had a chance to try on the Macpac Pulsar or Pulsar Plus, I tried them and they were far too small for me even in the XXL but a similar garment.
On clearance now too
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby being_wise » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 3:46 pm

Something like that! Thankyou!

Good link to Macpac: Pulsar plus looks to be warm (200g chest, 100g arm, 60g hood). Standard Pulsar looks to be same as Mont Moondog (100g chest 60 arms) https://www.macpac.com.au/macpac-mens-p ... 19031.html
being_wise
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby slparker » Sun 05 Jun, 2022 5:38 pm

FWIW, I own two ESS travel garments made in NZ.
Both quite expensive, for what they are, but both well made and I have got lots of use out of them.
They are true to size, the medium fits my broad shoulders so a US medium, UK large.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment