Recommend me a day pack please!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Recommend me a day pack please!

Postby Dexter » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 12:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm after something to replace an old Macpac day pack... It's similar to this one
https://www.macpac.com.au/macpac-atlas- ... s#start=11 <-- old pack

It's for everyday use to and from work, but would be a bonus as something I could use for day walks as well. I currently still end up using my Osprey Exos 58 for day walks as it's light enough, but obviously overkill.
This current pack has been amazing, but starting to wear out. It's just a little small at times and quite weighty being canvas. What would you recommend at around 30-35L or so?

Cheers!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Recommend me a day pack please!

Postby CBee » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 1:07 pm

Why 35 litres for a day pack? Anyway, I recommend Petzl Bug for your use.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Dexter » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 1:24 pm

Mostly for work reasons than day walking. Cool cheers I’ll have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 2:58 pm

gbagua

Postby Dexter » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 4:38 pm

gbagua wrote:Love mine. Here's a review:

https://ultralightoutside.com/osprey-talon-11-review/

Cheers, I did end up looking at a few Ospreys at lunch time today, though the 11L would be too small for all the stuff I'm carting back and forward to work. I'm walking around 7km a day just to keep a little bit of fitness up and being cold and wet a lot I've been carrying work shoes, and sometimes jacket and rain gear in my pack, along with any other bits and pieces I need. The 24L Macpac was just not really cutting it. I wanted to bring some fish home from the market today for dinner and realised I was going to really struggle for space. I ended up buying a Wilderness Equipment Traverse. A bit of an impulse buy from Bogong Outdoors. A lot more geared to a commutor pack than bush walking, but It has a spot for hydration and at least a bit of a waist harness (which the Macpac didn't have). So it could at least be used for a day walk if traveling fairly light. I carry more stuff to work than I do going for a day walk. Honestly I was sold a bit on the Khaki bombproof look and feel on this one. It will get tossed around a lot going to and from work and should last years.

https://www.wildernessequipment.com.au/ ... rse-olive/
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 9:36 am

Should definitely last for decades.
I should post pix of my old TourJour sometime.
I've been thinking about buying a new day-pack and I think I'll be getting the new Contour
https://www.wildernessequipment.com.au/ ... our-olive/
Same volume as the old TourJour and I want something that I can put a bivvy sack and some extra warm clothing in, but being able to use it for shopping is also good
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 9:56 am

Moondog55 wrote:Should definitely last for decades.
I should post pix of my old TourJour sometime.
I've been thinking about buying a new day-pack and I think I'll be getting the new Contour
https://www.wildernessequipment.com.au/ ... our-olive/
Same volume as the old TourJour and I want something that I can put a bivvy sack and some extra warm clothing in, but being able to use it for shopping is also good

Yeah they are well put together bags and should last. It seems like decent canvas, you see some pretty crummy stuff these days. The zips used are nice and large as well. Definitely not an ultralight option but happy with the purchase.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 1:23 pm

Most comfortable daypack that I have used, 33l AARN:
https://www.trekandtravel.com.au/collec ... 5781935942
it's the webbing that connects the harness that makes this pack outstanding, great for scrambling etc as the hipbelt is semi-independent from shoulder harness.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 2:12 pm

33L is too big for a daypack. 11L is perfect and the Talon will accomodate for a lot of stuff despite its capacity.

I can squeeze in comfortably in that pack:

-Approach shoes
-Thermal jacket
-Rain jacket
-Spare t-shirt, socks and shorts (including an extra pair of long pants)
-Food meals x 2 (large lunch + afternoon snack)

Still room left for more stuff

Plus a full 2.5L bladder which goes in a separate compart. between your back and the main pack compart.

The problem of getting larger packs for day use is that you either fill them up with unnecessary stuff or they end up having excessive empty space left.

It's better learning how to pack a day/multi-hike pack so you buy the correct size rather than spending money on a pack that's way too large for your needs.
gbagua

Postby Dexter » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 4:38 pm

gbagua wrote:33L is too big for a daypack. 11L is perfect and the Talon will accomodate for a lot of stuff despite its capacity.

-Approach shoes
-Thermal jacket
-Rain jacket

Plus a full 2.5L bladder which goes in a separate compart. between your back and the main pack compart.

The problem of getting larger packs for day use is that you either fill them up with unnecessary stuff or they end up having excessive empty space left.

It's better learning how to pack a day/multi-hike pack so you buy the correct size rather than spending money on a pack that's way too large for your needs.

This is all likely true, but I was after something to use for work that could also potentially be used for walks as well. My 24L pack that I was currently using was too small for my needs.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 6:28 pm

gbagua wrote:33L is too big for a daypack. 11L is perfect and the Talon will accomodate for a lot of stuff despite its capacity.

-Approach shoes
-Thermal jacket
-Rain jacket

Day pack should also have room for a six pack.

Unlike overnight packs, weight isn't a consideration for day packs or other day use gear (for me anyway).

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 6:37 pm

I hate those packs with a horse shoe top zip as the only access to the main compartment. PITA to use, as I confirmed using mine yesterday.

If you are tempted to go down MDs WE path (which I would seriously look at), Cactus Gear(?) in NZ make very simple robust day packs - I think the WE may be a little more sophisticated.

Don't overlook the One Planet range of day and day and a half packs. Unfortunately most smaller offerings are cursed with those horse shoe zips, but when you get to around 30L and up, some proper choices are available.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Thu 30 Jun, 2022 5:54 pm

But what on earth is your work that you need to pack so much? If it's a laptop the I sill will be able to fit it in the Talon 11.

It's better having a tight smaller pack than carrying a horse for daily usage. Also larger packs as I said earlier will tempt you to carry unnecessary stuff...adding more weight and bulk you won't really need.
gbagua

Postby Dexter » Sat 02 Jul, 2022 2:09 pm

I didn’t really want to turn this thread into justifying my reasons for what I decide to take to and from work. Im truly happy for you that you love your pack. That’s excellent. The reality is that my old 24L pack was too small for my needs.

Cheers heaps for your input though.

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 02 Jul, 2022 3:43 pm

Another thread worthy of 'The BETOOTA ADVOCATE'. :roll: :shock:
Bravo Dexter for your level of diplomacy and tact.
Last edited by Lamont on Sat 02 Jul, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby stry » Sat 02 Jul, 2022 4:31 pm

Dexter wrote: Honestly I was sold a bit on the Khaki bombproof look and feel on this one. It will get tossed around a lot going to and from work and should last years.

Amidst all the determinedly tangential thread creep, I didn't notice that you had bought this. I was unaware of the model but it looks ideal for what you have described as your usage. Would also be a great choice for carry on if/when you use air travel.

The only downer for me, is that I have an old spinal injury, and with even day packs, I like to get the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips, and that could be a bit of a challenge with this one (and with most in that capacity range)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Sat 02 Jul, 2022 5:23 pm

Lamont wrote:Another thread worthy of 'The BETOOTA ADVOCATE'. :roll: :shock:
Bravo Dexter for your level of diplomacy and tact.

It does genuinely look like a fantastic option for day walks alone, and maybe even for rides on my bike. If I can justify 'just one more pack', I'll be giving it a closer look.

stry wrote:
Dexter wrote: Honestly I was sold a bit on the Khaki bombproof look and feel on this one. It will get tossed around a lot going to and from work and should last years.

Amidst all the determinedly tangential thread creep, I didn't notice that you had bought this. I was unaware of the model but it looks ideal for what you have described as your usage. Would also be a great choice for carry on if/when you use air travel.

The only downer for me, is that I have an old spinal injury, and with even day packs, I like to get the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips, and that could be a bit of a challenge with this one (and with most in that capacity range)

Yeah it's absolutely not the way to go if you want the weight off the shoulders or a light weight option. I see this as predominately a day-to-day chuck around bag, excellent camping bag, with the added bonus of being useable for a day walk here and there (if not the best option)... it's certainly a trade off and the balance was about right for my use. you're right it would be a good carry-on size. Though my overseas adventures usually involve a bag full of camera gear that always comes with me. I'm usually trying to stash an extra lens into my partners handbag should I be checked for weight. I have about 4 other various camera bags/packs for that use. All up I must have about 7-8 packs now... I might have a problem. :shock:
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 03 Jul, 2022 9:29 am

I recently had to replace my Black Wolf back pack that I used for every day use.

The last one only lasted around 15 years!

Very happy with them for every day use and occasional day pack use, however I personally don’t use mine for hiking as I have other dedicated packs for that.
ChrisJHC

Postby johnw » Sun 03 Jul, 2022 2:19 pm

Lamont wrote:Bravo Dexter for your level of diplomacy and tact.

Dexter wrote:I ended up buying a Wilderness Equipment Traverse.

I agree, everyone's requirements can be vastly different, or even different for each trip. Absolutely no need to justify your choices.
I use anything from a small bum bag to a 43 litre canvas pack for day trips depending on circumstances.
FWIW I've wishfully inspected the WE Traverse as a potential replacement for my aging WE Contour, should it ever wear out.
Which seems unlikely as those WE canvas pack are absolutely bombproof in my experience.
Mine has been battered through all sorts of off track adventures and still going strong.
And at 1kg it isn't heavy either, compresses much smaller when needed, very versatile.
While it's not a rucksack harness I find the wide webbing waist strap can help place weight on the hips if adjusted correctly.
But may also depend on height, back length etc (I'm slightly vertically challenged).
I think the Traverse is a great choice and I'm very jealous.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dexter » Mon 04 Jul, 2022 6:14 am

Cheers. Yeah good canvas just keeps on going. I have an old swag my parents bought me when I was about 10 years old. I’m 41 now and it’s still going strong after years of abuse. Great to hear the WE packs are tough. There’s every chance it will outlast me.

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul_hianz » Mon 18 Jul, 2022 7:46 pm

I grabbed a One Planet Zipless a few months back. Best daypack I have owned. Hands down.

Reviewed it here:

https://ottie.com.au/blogs/merino-yarns ... ss-daypack
Mostly a day hiker who's done more multi-days in NZ than in Aus. When not hiking I'm making merino gear at Ottie Merino.
paul_hianz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Dexter » Tue 19 Jul, 2022 7:12 am

One Planet are awesome in general. I have a bunch of their gear. I have no reason that I didn’t go with one of their packs other than I found something that worked for me at Bongong before I’d walked down the street a bit more to the One Planet shop.

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Steave » Sun 24 Jul, 2022 2:54 pm

Osprey talon 26l is a fantastic daypack.
Steave
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paul_hianz » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 10:38 pm

Dexter wrote:One Planet are awesome in general. I have a bunch of their gear. I have no reason that I didn’t go with one of their packs other than I found something that worked for me at Bongong before I’d walked down the street a bit more to the One Planet shop.

That's a pretty innocent reason. :P Love Bogong.
Mostly a day hiker who's done more multi-days in NZ than in Aus. When not hiking I'm making merino gear at Ottie Merino.
paul_hianz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gisborne612 » Sat 06 Aug, 2022 9:15 pm

The Mont Sentinel is a pretty robust pack that should last a long time, 42-45 Lt in volume. Savotta from Finland also make a bombproof 30lt pack. Neither are cheap, but either way you will not need to buy another pack for a long long time.
gisborne612
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Penguin » Sat 06 Aug, 2022 9:30 pm

paul_hianz wrote:I grabbed a One Planet Zipless a few months back. Best daypack I have owned. Hands down.

Reviewed it here:

https://ottie.com.au/blogs/merino-yarns ... ss-daypack

Just bought one of these. Very happy although only a few trips. Hope to use for hiking and plane flights.

DG
Penguin

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 09 Aug, 2022 9:56 am

Been going smaller and smaller with my daypack choice and now down to 14L with Osprey’s Raptor 14. Comfortable with waist belt and pockets and lots of compartments. Water bladder compartment is super convenient being one zipper away. Doesn’t have a rain cover though.

https://www.osprey.com/au/en/product/ra ... 14S19.html
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby beardless » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 10:34 am

I think I have mentioned this before on this site but really like
the Sea To Summit Flow 35L Dry Pack.

https://seatosummit.com.au/products/flow-35l-drypack

It is perfect for a long day walk when I carry camera gear and want to keep everything dry. It has an internal frame providing a bit of structure to the back padding but still hugs close to the back which is what I like if I am carrying any sort of load. There is a useful front pocket and a spot inside the main compartment to stash a phone and small wallet. There is a removable hip belt which is good as the hip belt can get a bit in the way if you don't use it. I often take it off for flights (this pack is fine for carry on luggage and I have used for overnight flights).There are enough straps to really compress it down if you are carrying a lighter load. It is not super light but also not excessively heavy.

But for really short walks where I don't need to carry as much I often just take a Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Day Pack. These are great on long trips as a summit bag too

https://seatosummit.com/products/ultra-sil-dry-day-pack
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Equipment