SK75 Dyneema (200kg) for tent guy lines/extensions?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

SK75 Dyneema (200kg) for tent guy lines/extensions?

Postby spittle » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 8:54 pm

Has anyone used Dyneema fo this purpose - I have some surplus kite line? It’s maybe 1.5mm and rated to 200kg. I’ve flown some pretty big kites with it and it can launch me in the air no probs without breaking.

I tend to leave some lightweight cord on each of the peg loops/guy lines in-case the ground is rocky and I have to lay rocks on the pegs or push the peg into the ground further away from usual.

I have also considered replacing the guys with the Dyneema as it’s thinner/lighter. I’m just not sure if I’ll loose some shock absorption potentially causing some damage.

I would probably splice some loops in it and girth hitch it to the various points. No idea if Dyneema on thin webbing will be an issue in this application.

I have a WE Second Arrow X tent.
spittle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: SK75 Dyneema (200kg) for tent guy lines/extensions?

Postby Franco » Sat 16 Jul, 2022 10:17 am

The popular (Kelty) Triptease guyline has a Dyneema core. The fabric around it is to give it better abrasion resistance.
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 3:52 am

spittle wrote:I have also considered replacing the guys with the Dyneema as it’s thinner/lighter. I’m just not sure if I’ll loose some shock absorption potentially causing some damage.

I doubt there is a significant difference in how much a guyline of typical length made from nylon stretches vs one made from Dyneema.

I normally have a good quality nylon cord (1.5 or 2mm) on tents for exactly the purpose you're talking about. I probably use them more than you since in our local range easily pegged soil is frequently unavailable whereas rocks are abundant. Even though nylon is less abrasion resistant it still holds up a lot longer than one might expect. And it's cheaper to replace.

Our Hilleberg came with cord that is polyester and Vectran Dyneema with some nylon woven in, presumably to improve friction in the adjusters. It works great.
Last edited by Orion on Fri 22 Jul, 2022 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby spittle » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 3:24 pm

I don’t want to purchase any as I have heaps already. I guess I’ll try it with the extenders first and see. Don’t suppose you know the breaking strength of your current ones?
spittle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Orion » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 1:25 am

The 1.5mm nylon Sterling brand cord has a rated minimum breaking strength of 50kg. The 2.0mm Sterling cord is 100kg. And the 2mm Hilleberg guyline (polyester/Vectran) is 60kg.

Breaking strength has never been the issue in my experience. Maybe it matters on the South Col of Everest or at a homeless encampment in windy downtown Chicago in the winter. But what I find happens is that the cord eventually wears due to abrasion, particularly when used with rocks. Still, it takes a while. If you're really worried size up to 3mm nylon cord. It's heavier but it will last a long time. I have some on the working ends of an 11 year old tent and the cord still looks great.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby spittle » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 9:49 am

Orion wrote:The 1.5mm nylon Sterling brand cord has a rated minimum breaking strength of 50kg. The 2.0mm Sterling cord is 100kg. And the 2mm Hilleberg guyline (polyester/Vectran) is 60kg.

Breaking strength has never been the issue in my experience. Maybe it matters on the South Col of Everest or at a homeless encampment in windy downtown Chicago in the winter. But what I find happens is that the cord eventually wears due to abrasion, particularly when used with rocks. Still, it takes a while. If you're really worried size up to 3mm nylon cord. It's heavier but it will last a long time. I have some on the working ends of an 11 year old tent and the cord still looks great.

Haha, yeah fair enough. Good to know & thanks for the info.
spittle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment