Looking for a new quilt!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Looking for a new quilt!

Postby Joels » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi,

I am currently looking for recommendations for a quilt to use when hiking.

I can be quite a restless sleeper and often end up rolling onto my stomach, so I'm looking for a quilt as i often get tangled up in sleeping bags.

I am a small female, with pretty bad circulation, and I am always cold. So, I am looking for something that is fairly lightweight, but will also keep me nice and warm.

Joels
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Looking for a new quilt!

Postby Last » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 2:46 pm

I have the same problem. I use an Exped insulated mat and fully unzip my sleeping bag. Works for me 6 months of the year in Tasmania. In winter alas, I have to zip up and have to hope I can untangle myself in the morning.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 3:22 pm

Australian made, 900+ loft down, lot of happy customers. http://www.nevegear.com.au
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby tazzi » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 5:54 pm

Love my zenbivy. I am a very restless (mostly side) sleeper and last year took advantage of a 25% off sale to buy a light quilt 10/sheet 25 combo. https://zenbivy.com
tazzi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 6:03 pm

Underclingmike on the forum makes quilts too.

Look at https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=28963

Or MYO - a fun project if you can sew. About 500g of down in my quilt (total weight about 750g) has me very comfy in the snow, although I do sleep in down pants and jacket in the snow. I have a lighter quilt for non winter activities.

Andrew
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 6:08 pm

andrewa wrote:
Or MYO - a fun project if you can sew. About 500g of down in my quilt (total weight about 750g) has me very comfy in the snow, although I do sleep in down pants and jacket in the snow. I have a lighter quilt for non winter activities.

Andrew

Just from general interests sake what weight of down/ loft in the pants and jacket?
I have a newish Marmot Guide and that is borderline with my system but my other down is far too warm [ and heavy ]
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 7:07 pm

No idea. Western mountaineering pants, and RAB neutrino jacket.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Neo » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 8:16 pm

OMM half bag with a Uniqlo UL down jacket works well for at least half the year. Too hot for the legs sometimes.

I have a Klymit synthetic blanket I use occasionally as a pseudo quilt. Can button the corners and has a 'foot' pocket.

Current favourite option in the newish Sea to Summit synthetic Glow quilt. My go-to except for the depths of winter.

Last January on the coast I didn't take anything, just the fave cheap puffy jacket and a foam mat. For a six night trip, was all good :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Hiking Exped » Mon 18 Jul, 2022 11:12 am

Try Nevegear.com.au for brilliant 950FP down quilts in four different temperature ratings.

I have one for warmer weather which is super light, brilliant loft, lots of room for a fidgeting side sleeper and lovely cosy and warm.

Ryan at Nevegear is brilliant and very helpful. It’s a new Australian small business in NSW and his quilts and sleeping bags are excellent.

Has size and colour options too.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment