Denali, nature hike or other?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Denali, nature hike or other?

Postby danthewoman » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 9:56 am

Hi, very new to hiking so am in the middle of buying all of my gear. I bought a Denali vortex 2 recently but am worried as it is 2.6kg. I have considered the nature hike (online) but also the companion pro. It is likely to be used in QLD all year, maybe the blue mountains in autumn. My young son (8) will accompany me from time to time so needs to be a 2 person and I don’t want to spend more than $300 until I know for a fact that this will be a regular thing. For now just 3 day hikes, working towards the overland but if I need to update my tent later that is fine. Any opinions? Very keen to learn
danthewoman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Denali, nature hike or other?

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 12:07 pm

Hi,
I started hiking with my son when he was 8.
I was carrying all the heavy gear (including tent) and started with a 3kg tent and pretty heavy bags (1.6kg). So it can be done!
All other things being equal, lighter gear is better because it makes it easier on you.
If you're in QLD, I'm guessing you won't be near zero degrees, so you can buy quite light bags that will lessen the weight and keep you warm.
Online sites like Aliexpress have bags and tents that are not that expensive, and you don't need to buy it all at once.
A better way to go, especially if your tent is bomb-proof, is buy other gear to progressively lighten the load.
I think at the start I was also carrying the proverbial kitchen sink as you think you need everything, but experience can help work out what you don't need and that which you do can gradually be swapped out for lighter stuff.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby bernieq » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 2:11 pm

After a quick look at the tent (online), I can offer a couple of things to consider. Yes, it's comparatively heavy but certainly low cost. It would be OK for QLD & NSW.

It doesn't have a vestibule so all your gear, packs etc, would need to fit in the tent with you - tricky in rain as all the gear is wet.

The door design doesn't stop rain from entering the tent (if door open for ventilation or when getting in/out).

Rain is a bit of a focus for Victorians - maybe in sunny qld it's not an issue :?

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby EGM » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 2:27 pm

For now use what you have, unless you want to return it.

Naturehike stuff is reasonable but be careful because some sites sell them for way too much.

I'd say for now use what you have and start looking for something better second hand. You'll be surprised what you can get for $300
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby danthewoman » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 2:39 pm

Thank you! That is a great point about gear out in the weather or possibly wet inside. I will likely take it back, it hasn’t been pitched yet, just bought a couple of days ago.
I will definitely look for some second hand options.
I wonder how long delivery would take if I did go the nature hike option
danthewoman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby johnrs » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 5:49 pm

Hi DTW
Maybe have a look at 3F UL gear and also Aegis Max, all online china brands.
Pretty reasonable quality
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 6:26 pm

You could take a look at the Mountain Designs Redline which you could exchange for the Denali. Don't know anything about it except that it looks the part (moreso than the vortex) is a bit lighter and sure to be good enough quality for a handful of trips.
CraigVIC

Return to Equipment