Dutchware chameleon hammocks & hammock'ing in the top end

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Dutchware chameleon hammocks & hammock'ing in the top end

Postby Osik » Sun 07 Aug, 2022 8:49 pm

Hi all,
Looks like I'm moving to Darwin early next year. Have started to think about adventures up that way & am thinking of giving hammocks a go, particularly due to temperature/wet season considerations.
Have been doing a little reading and thought the Dutchware chameleon hammocks sounded interesting - I particularly liked how modular they are. Anyhow, had a look and saw they do a package deal: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/compl ... k-package/ amongst other things.
I'm 190cm and 95kgs so the wide would be the way to go for me.
Just looking to see if anyone on here is familiar with this (or similar hammocks)? And if anyone else is up in the top end and can speak to using hammocks up that way?
No urgency for buying one, so happy to hang out for a while until I make my mind up.
I've previously slept in hammocks but never lightweight hiking ones & have previously lived in the East Kimberley and spent a fair bit of time in the NT & FNQ so familiar with the seasons etc.
Thanks!
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Dutchware chameleon hammocks & hammock'ing in the top en

Postby ofuros » Mon 08 Aug, 2022 7:33 am

Not a 'complete' package...you'll still need some sort of insulation to keep those sneaky early morning chills at bay. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 08 Aug, 2022 5:55 pm

Dutchware and Warbonnet are two of the biggies from the US known for making very good, comfortable hammocks.
(I love my Warbonnet Blackbird :) )

Here in Oz, Simon from Tier Gear also does good stuff.

I’d be sure to get a hammock with a built-in bug net given where you’re heading.

Re insulation, probably not many “early morning chills” in the NT, but agree that some form of insulation might be worth considering.

You might like to check out the “Shug Emery” series of YouTube videos to get started. Note that he is a professional clown as well as a serious hammocker so his videos reflect that.
If you want full immersion, head over to hammockforums.net
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Mon 08 Aug, 2022 8:11 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Re insulation, probably not many “early morning chills” in the NT, but agree that some form of insulation might be worth considering.

I was picturing my coastal & escarpment hangs around Nhulunbuy & Jabiru, breezy overnighters during the long cool dry season. Temps down to the high teens with the wind chill...freezing conditions for the locals. :lol:

Saw my 1st & only, Morning Glory rolling across the East Arnhem sky...8)

Gathered End or Bridge hammock...enjoy Darwin, Osik. :mrgreen:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Osik » Tue 09 Aug, 2022 7:18 pm

thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions - looking forward to getting back up that way, though going to miss the hills!
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Return to Equipment