Umbrella Tent Pole

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Umbrella Tent Pole

Postby Ndevr » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 7:29 pm

Is anyone aware whether a lightweight umbrella that doubles as a tent pole exists?
(Say 1m long for a 1 person tent, and reduced to 50cm for umbrella setup, and 25cm when fully collapsed)
I don't use trekking poles, and I've not yet used an umbrella, but I am considering it, and thought this could be an option.

In reality it may end up being lighter and more vesatile keeping the 2 items separate, but just a thought?

Ndevr
Ndevr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Umbrella Tent Pole

Postby Neo » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 8:09 pm

No but it is an interesting concept. Extending length umbrellas a likely not built strong enough for the tensions of a tent. Most fixed length umbrellas would be very short as a tent pole at only 60-70cm, but if they had a pointy tip you could add on a length of aluminium pipe to get the desired height.

Both the Six Moon Designs and Helinox umbrellas are customised Euroschrim or Birdepal umbrellas (spelling unchecked), which have a foam knob instead of the pointy end that a golf umbrella might.

My pole for a 9 foot square base pyramid tarp is a bit short, so I add a 150mm piece of alu tube to the tip to get a proper pitch.

I made a pole from old dome tent parts for a single pole 1p tent, also made a short end pole for a tarp from two pieces of salvaged tent pole.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Umbrella Tent Pole

Postby Franco » Tue 16 Aug, 2022 12:44 pm

I don't think that it can work because the hiking type umbrellas (EuroSCHIRM) at 60cm or so fully extended are too short and don't take extensions ,besides you still need a rain jacket using them.
The Golf type are long enouh as a pole and wide enough to possibly get away with a very light wind jaket but are too big for the trail and at 600-700g too heavy anyway.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment