Help finding info about old Paddy Pallin Ossa sleeping bag

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Help finding info about old Paddy Pallin Ossa sleeping bag

Postby cssogt123 » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 9:49 pm

Hi all, I'm trying to find any specs/info about an old Paddy Pallin sleeping bag and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Model name is "Ossa" and it is a part of the "Mountain Series" of sleeping bags. Has tags for Gore Dryloft and Pertex. Unfortunately the tag on the inside that would normally give some information about the fill type/weight has gone completely white. From my attempts at research, the big embroidered patch on the front doesn't appear to be on any of the Paddy Pallin bags I can find from the 2000s or later, so I assume it is from the 90s or even late 80s? I found an old "For sale" post from 2018 on this very forum for an old yellow Jagungal bag with the same patches and tags, but sadly that person did not give any date info in their post.

Hopefully somebody out there has some knowledge or an old catalogue that can provide some insight.

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG
cssogt123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Help finding info about old Paddy Pallin Ossa sleeping b

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 21 Aug, 2022 8:59 am

What are you trying to find out?
It's probably 650FP down and you can estimate its insulation value by measuring the free loft
Go back a decade or so and information about fill wasn't part of the Paddys label, I can't remember when they started to give that. Best bet is to call Paddys and try and find some oldd person who's been with the company for more than 20 years.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 21 Aug, 2022 9:06 am

I can tell you that it is warmer than the Bimberi bag and not as warm as the Jagungal and my older Bimberi had about 550 grams of down in it in the XL size and that down was about 700FP
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cssogt123 » Sun 21 Aug, 2022 12:07 pm

Moondog55 wrote:What are you trying to find out?

Pretty much as you said, mostly the down and loft info. Would be nice to know a year (or year range) as well. I realise the bag likely pre-dates the rating/temperature info that is commonly seen today, so just hoping for whatever "official" numbers I can find.

Moondog55 wrote:I can tell you that it is warmer than the Bimberi bag and not as warm as the Jagungal and my older Bimberi had about 550 grams of down in it in the XL size and that down was about 700FP

This is helpful, thank you.
cssogt123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 21 Aug, 2022 12:36 pm

Approximate warmth rating is easy to determine using free loft and the tables available. Use the Western Mountaineering site for some reasonable conservative ratings and simply compare them to high much loft your bag has.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 3:56 pm

Looks like a slightly later model than my 1992 Bimberi. I found a catologue for paddy pallin sleeping bags from around that time (see link below) but, alas, no Ossa in the catalogue. I'd say it is mid to late 90s as I don't recall dryloft before then.

https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ri#p415207
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cssogt123 » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:01 pm

slparker wrote:Looks like a slightly later model than my 1992 Bimberi. I found a catologue for paddy pallin sleeping bags from around that time (see link below) but, alas, no Ossa in the catalogue. I'd say it is mid to late 90s as I don't recall dryloft before then.

https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ri#p415207

Thanks for this. I had seen that post and image before, but I never realised that the yellow box in the image was a list of the available sleeping bag models. This led me to checking a bit later (I figured it was unlikely to be earlier) and I found an ad in a 1998 issue of Wild Magazine (here, on page 11: https://archive.org/details/aus_wild-19 ... ew=theater). It doesn't list the bag models, but it does reference the "Mountain Series" and you can see the same embroidered logo in the bottom left of the page (doesn't show size though, my bag has a rather large logo while other bags from earlier years have a smaller version). I'd still love to find some original specs if anybody has a catalogue from that time.

Edit: I've also found a snippet from the Paddy Pallin website in 2002 (https://web.archive.org/web/20020111233 ... hinfoID=34) that shows a sleeping bag with the large format embroidered logo, so definitely in that time period.
cssogt123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby slparker » Fri 26 Aug, 2022 8:54 am

Interesting. good luck with the search - looks like old Wild mags are your best bet.

They were good bags - FWIW my Bimberi is still going strong after 30 years, although I've relegated it to snow camping and I supplement it with a quilt. I think it's my oldest item of bushwalking equipment.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cssogt123 » Fri 26 Aug, 2022 7:08 pm

Found it!

The Spring 1997 issue of Wild (https://archive.org/details/aus_wild-19 ... ew=theater) has a "survey" of down sleeping bags (mostly just a table of tech specs), which includes my Ossa.

Weight: 550g (fill) 1300g (total)
Down type: 100% goose
Loft rating: 600 cubic inches / ounce
Loft: 13 cm
And a few other bits of info.

Interestingly they rate it high for comfort/roominess, but low/average for warmth to weight ratio. This sort of makes sense, seeing how I struggled to find info on this model while others from the same time period (Bimberi, Jagungal) were mentioned often. I guess it wasn't competitive against its peers of the time and hence was mostly forgotten.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.
cssogt123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 27 Aug, 2022 10:22 am

130mm of free loft isn't much insulation in a 1300g bag, even then.
That makes its male comfort rating somewhere around -8 to -10C
Depending on what the bag cost you it may be worth pulling all the down out and replacing it with 800+ fill or simply using it for car camping
That said I have broad shoulders and have a hard time finding sleeping bags large enough to fit me, this may be part of the Extreme Tulip line of bags Paddys did , if so the extra weight is due to the extra width to allow for big people and/or the wearing of down clothing inside them and Dryloft material is heavier than normal shell fabric and had advantages as it is totally windproof.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cssogt123 » Sat 27 Aug, 2022 9:34 pm

Yeah I'll probably just keep it around as a spare for family camps. Thankfully didn't cost me anything, came in a bag of stuff that a friend was throwing out.

I assume most of the weight comes down to the Gore Dryloft fabric, as the bag has pretty typical measurements (about 210cm long and 78cm wide), though it is a semi-rectangular shape with 2 zips.
cssogt123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 8:04 am

Zippers are heavy
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii