Recommendations sought for 35l or so pack that fits carry-on

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Recommendations sought for 35l or so pack that fits carry-on

Postby rdale » Fri 02 Sep, 2022 4:40 pm

Planning a European trip for 2023 that includes two 10-11 day walks: Corfu Trail and Tour du Mont Blanc. Going inn-to-inn, so not carrying tent, sleep system or cooking kit. The challenge: I want to travel carry-on only, so the pack I use has to fit into the 56cm x 36cm x 23cm airline size constraints. My reckoning is I need 35 litres of capacity. Candidates I've looked at are: Osprey Manta 34, Kathmandhu Nowaki Pack v4, Macpac Voyager 35 1.1, Macpac Hesper 30L (I think it's actually bigger than 30L), Lowe Alpine Airzone Trail 35, Lowe Alpine Aeon 35, Osprey Stratos 34 -- some of those are larger than carry-on size according to vendor specs, but my measurement of frame lengths suggests they can be squashed in. Hoping someone has had to meet similar constraints and can offer thoughts ... Conventional wisdom is that 'travel packs' that can double as hiking packs (like the Osprey Farpoint) are compromised on the hiking side but I'm willing to hear evidence that conventional wisdom isn't so wise.
rdale
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Recommendations sought for 35l or so pack that fits carr

Postby Vee » Mon 05 Sep, 2022 12:48 pm

Hi rdale.
I have the Lowe Alpine Airzone ND 32l pack. I have used it with no trouble on domestic and international flights as carry-on luggage, with no problems. It is a great pack, no sweaty back, material is quite waterproof (so far) and has great pockets. A friend used it for an overnight hike carrying sleeping gear and no tent and said it was comfortable. I have no experience with the other packs on your list. Happy travels.
Vee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby rdale » Mon 05 Sep, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks vee.
rdale
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby icefest » Mon 05 Sep, 2022 8:33 pm

I have a HMG Porter 60L pack and also the zpacks arc blast.

Both of them were no problem on carry on, just need to cinch tight the compression straps on the sides.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Tue 06 Sep, 2022 10:15 am

I travelled through europe with one 40l bag which is an older version of this:

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/wing-it/
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby spittle » Tue 20 Sep, 2022 3:37 pm

A few decent looking options. I’ve not tried those but for packing small I’d probably lean towards one of the bags with one big compartment and perhaps a small pocket for bits and pieces (plus a couple of dry bags for internal organisation). Less bulk. And do you need a hefty back system if not carrying overnight gear?

Not saying this is necessarily better than some of your options but I’ve had overnight gear including a 2P tent in this one with all the trimmings (large first aid kit etc): https://montane.com/products/montane-fa ... l-backpack

And I like that the lid can be removed (sometimes I put it in the main compartment if I’m worried that airlines won’t approve, or just leave it behind). I also like that you can extend the lid heaps if you need to overload the pack and get moving quickly.

The Osprey Mutant 38L is similarly featured. The Montane has two side stuff pockets that I can reach when hiking - I stuff my beanie, buff and sunscreen in those. The Osprey lacks those but perhaps the curves are more refined on the Osprey if aesthetics are important.
spittle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby rdale » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks spittle. Hadn't seen the Osprey Mutant before.
rdale
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 10:12 pm

You can usually also get to wear a bum bag so an additional 5 to 10 litres there. My old Lowe is 8 litres
I used the bumbag for my medications and mini firstaid kit and kept a set of clean underwear/sox and toiletries in mine.
On my last flight to the USA I saw a lot of people with both a carry-on and a laptop bag and some of the seasoned female passengers seemed to have purses that were larger than my carry-on
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment