Off-Track Tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Off-Track Tent

Postby samT » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi,

I currently have a Hilleberg Tarra which I use as my 'bombproof' tent. However, after lugging it around on some long hikes (up to 24 days on track in southwest tas) I have decided it is only really needed on my longer winter walks (Its 4.5kg with the groundsheet). Therefore, I am looking for a single person tent that is of a reasonable weight and does not require the space of a medium sized car to set up. Ideally, it would be something that I would take on more dense off track walks, so it would need to be used in a variety of conditions (semi-exposed ridges, thicker scrub, e.t.c). I have been considering the following tents, but would also like your inputs on what you have found to work in rougher conditions.

HMG Ultamid 2 with 1/2 mesh inner.
I have spend some time in a friends teepee style tent in winter on a mountain. It held up to the conditions well and I like the simplicity of it. Combining with a 1/2 mesh inner and a ground sheet I would only need a flat enough spot large enough for that inner and the other half could be set up over rough ground. The light weight would be ideal, but it still is a large tent.

Hilleberg Soulo BL.
I like the hilleberg durability and this definitely ticks that box, whilst being small. However it is still fairly heavy (2.5kg).

Mont Moondance 1
Looks to be a good compromise between weight and durability.

Would anyone be able to comment on other tents or provide some guidance on choosing a tent for these conditions?

Thanks,

Sam
samT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Off-Track Tent

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 3:37 pm

Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow is a great solo tent. About 1.75 kgs when you remove the repair kit, pole sleeve.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Biggles » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 3:42 pm

Mont Moondance 1, or 2 (the extra room the MD2 provides is handy for laying out your pack inside rather than be pelted by rain, hail and snow outside). Full nylon variant is warmer than the airy mesh version.

Include the matched footprint for some additional protection.

I am up to my second Moondance 1, the first having been purchased in 2009 and discharged from service in 2017 or '18 (but still in use by the person who bought it after it was professionally resealed).
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Dexter » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 4:20 pm

I just checked out the Moondance 1 today. I’ve been half looking at a freestanding/semi freestanding option for walks with platforms, that has at least the option of being pitched fly first.

The 25000 HH floor on the Moondance 1 is appealing. It looks like a well put together tent. I’ve been weighing it up again a Nemo. The salesman at Bogong was saying the poles and materials are far superior but then he would say that. Not that I’d think it would be an inferior tent anyway and I like buying from an Aussie company. But might be worth checking out some of the Nemo tents. Though I think I’d compare with the 2p tents. The Moondance 1 seems to have more space than most 1p tents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 5:20 pm

Have a look at hammocks.
In your scenario, there will always be trees around to hang from and one big advantage is that you can pitch them over rocky and uneven ground.

There was a Warbonnet Blackbird for sale here recently that is a very good system (I have the older version).
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby andrewa » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 9:08 pm

I understand the hammock suggestion, and I tried them, but I think the enjoyment depends a bit on how you sleep, and I found that keeping warm in a hammock weighed more than keeping warm in a tent, with the additional tent benefit of some weather free shelter to move around in.

4.5kg is a lot of tent to carry these days…..

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Neo » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 9:52 pm

I have five bushwalk tents. Out of the six I have owned all being different styles plus a tarp/bivvy combo, my best all-rounder is the Big Sky Revolution 2p. But I like them all ☺️ and choose the shelter to suit the trip.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Last » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 2:23 am

I have a Hilleberg Akto and a Soulo. The Akto is 1.7kg, has withstood some fairly atrocious weather unscathed and can be pitched in some very ordinary places. It is very low and I don't bend as well as I used to. The Soulo is a more recent acquisition. It is heavier but is a bit roomier. It hasn't been as well storm tested (by me, yet) but seems very solid.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 9:19 am

The Moondance 1 looks great, I use an MSR Hubba which is pretty much the same design but a touch lighter and probably not as durable. It's easy to set up in tight spaces, and being freestanding it's great if the only available space is on a big rock. I've never been willing to set up somewhere really exposed though.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 11:57 am

Dexter wrote:I just checked out the Moondance 1 today. I’ve been half looking at a freestanding/semi freestanding option for walks with platforms, that has at least the option of being pitched fly first.

[...]The salesman at Bogong was saying the poles and materials are far superior but then he would say that. [...]

If you don't believe the salesman in Bogong (and I know all of them) you could always ask me! :lol:
But what he said about the DAC poles is true and correct as they have a very slight pre-formed shape that does not stress them. Extremely easy to put the tent up, average time about 2 minutes. I did have concerns about the flimsy feel of the fly material, but this has been unfounded over a lot of use.

You can put up the fly first as a simple "tarp" or the inner tent when mozzies are on the attack. Either way is fuss free. The second generation Moondance 1 got additional room at the triangular floor pitch; that made a substantial difference to the roominess as I found.

Mont tents are made in Vietnam by the same factory that makes The North Face products.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby IDP » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 2:58 pm

For what it’s worth, I took a new Moondance 1 for its first trip down to the Southern Ranges earlier this year. I was holed up at Pigsty Ponds for two nights in a gale (weather station at Maatsuyker Island recorded gusts up to 130km/h during that time) and, whilst it moved around a bit, I was never overly concerned about tent failure. Yes, might have been a different proposition on Wylly plateau or on top of PB, but the wind gusts at Pigsty were enough to make it very difficult to stand upright when ever I dared to venture outside.

I found the space inside the tent to be great for one person - easily enough to keep everything inside, leaving only shoes and gaiters in the vestibule.

And compared with the weight of the usual Macpac tents that I used to haul around, I was very happy.
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Dexter » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 7:08 pm

Biggles wrote:
Dexter wrote:I just checked out the Moondance 1 today. I’ve been half looking at a freestanding/semi freestanding option for walks with platforms, that has at least the option of being pitched fly first.

[...]The salesman at Bogong was saying the poles and materials are far superior but then he would say that. [...]

If you don't believe the salesman in Bogong (and I know all of them) you could always ask me! :lol:
But what he said about the DAC poles is true and correct as they have a very slight pre-formed shape that does not stress them. Extremely easy to put the tent up, average time about 2 minutes. I did have concerns about the flimsy feel of the fly material, but this has been unfounded over a lot of use.

You can put up the fly first as a simple "tarp" or the inner tent when mozzies are on the attack. Either way is fuss free. The second generation Moondance 1 got additional room at the triangular floor pitch; that made a substantial difference to the roominess as I found.

Mont tents are made in Vietnam by the same factory that makes The North Face products.
It’s nothing personal. I worked retail for a number of years (JB) and have seen and heard it all. I have no reason to believe he’d not been truthful but I do take some of it with a pinch of salt. I take it onboard then look into it myself.

I was mostly there to see it in person rather than compare specs online. I think I’m pretty much sold on it. However I had just dropped off a sleeping bag to One Planet for a clean and refresh and couldn’t resist a quilt on clearance :D so I resisted the urge to drop even more cash on another tent!

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 7:09 pm

IDP wrote:For what it’s worth, I took a new Moondance 1 for its first trip down to the Southern Ranges earlier this year. I was holed up at Pigsty Ponds for two nights in a gale (weather station at Maatsuyker Island recorded gusts up to 130km/h during that time) and, whilst it moved around a bit, I was never overly concerned about tent failure. Yes, might have been a different proposition on Wylly plateau or on top of PB, but the wind gusts at Pigsty were enough to make it very difficult to stand upright when ever I dared to venture outside.

I found the space inside the tent to be great for one person - easily enough to keep everything inside, leaving only shoes and gaiters in the vestibule.

And compared with the weight of the usual Macpac tents that I used to haul around, I was very happy.
That’s super encouraging. Good to hear it’s working well for you!

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 8:13 pm

I'm not understanding the difference between an off-track and on-track hiking tent. I would have thought you just use the tent you already have.

Why would an off-track tent be different?

I would have thought clothing and a narrower, smaller, studier pack for scrub bashing would be the only difference. And a machete depending.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 8:42 pm

My guess is lack of open space, compared to a formal campground.

For me all tents or shelter require a certain length or straight line. Enough for me to lie down. Tarps are very accommodating for spots with lumpy vegetation ☺️ a private garden.

Suppose a 1p size tent will fit places slightly better than other sizes. Or the hammock option if there are trees goes about anywhere.

Sometimes you get rock and no trees!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 8:57 pm

Used to love the private garden when tarping and is the best solution for awkward sites.

Getting bitten by critters in the middle of the night, possibly venomous...

crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 9:13 pm

crollsurf wrote:Used to love the private garden when tarping and is the best solution for awkward sites.

Getting bitten by critters in the middle of the night, possibly venomous...

Ah this is where my latest addition the MSR thru hiker mesh house 1 fits in.

Barely big enough to fit in but sorts out any critter invasion. Also a bit limited with how it fits under a tarp. Still good though.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 7:53 am

Personally, I think the slight weight penalty of the Soulo is worth it. Nothing handles Tassie weather as well as a Hilleberg. My Akto has taken some really nasty stuff in the SW.
But if you want lighter wiith more room, the Second Arrow isn't a bad choice. Considering what that withstood on Karamu Sth and SW Cape Range, it could almost deal with a hurricane.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Equipment