Patagonia to ‘fund environmental protection measures.’

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Patagonia to ‘fund environmental protection measures.’

Postby Dexter » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 5:51 pm

What are the chances that others will follow this lead?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/ear ... /ye40a3wmc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Patagonia to ‘fund environmental protection measures.’

Postby climberman » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 8:39 am

Zero chances - Patagonia is a private firm owned by a legend.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Biggles » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 11:59 am

Patagonia...?
Goodness, one doesn't here much about that supplier nowadays, or the activities toward positive environmental contributions.
I visited Geelong last weekend, and the store there was closed (yet again!) — stocked etc., but still mysteriously closed. A win in that case for Kathmandu. 8)
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 12:33 pm

climberman wrote:Zero chances - Patagonia is a private firm owned by a legend.

Really? Charity and philanthropy does exist, and has for decades, in all echelons of successful business, big and small. Have you checked out what Andrew Forrest does for charity?

Yvon Chouinard, long before Patagonia, was the founder of the Chouinard climbing equipment brand.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby climberman » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 11:30 am

Biggles wrote:
climberman wrote:Zero chances - Patagonia is a private firm owned by a legend.

Really? Charity and philanthropy does exist, and has for decades, in all echelons of successful business, big and small. Have you checked out what Andrew Forrest does for charity?

Yvon Chouinard, long before Patagonia, was the founder of the Chouinard climbing equipment brand.

Not going to occur in a listed firm.

lol, am old enough to have bought Chouinard equipment!

Doug Tompkins (founder of North Face, and with his wife, Esprit) probably the closest to Chouinard in terms of conservation outcomes in recent decades (his wife is ex-CE Patagonia)

When Forrest dedicates the entire business to environmental outcomes let me know.
climberman

Postby climberman » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 11:32 am

Biggles wrote:Patagonia...?
Goodness, one doesn't here much about that supplier nowadays, or the activities toward positive environmental contributions.
I visited Geelong last weekend, and the store there was closed (yet again!) — stocked etc., but still mysteriously closed. A win in that case for Kathmandu. 8)

Patagonia does a huge amount for positive environmental contributions.
Patagonia and Kathmandu must be near polar opposites in terms of enviro approach to business.
climberman

Postby Dexter » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 2:48 pm

climberman wrote:

Patagonia and Kathmandu must be near polar opposites in terms of enviro approach to business.

According to 'Shop Ethical' Kathmandu and Patagonia top the list...

https://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/brow ... /?type=715
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby climberman » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 3:09 pm

Dexter wrote:
climberman wrote:

Thanks, encouraging, I'll have a look at the link.
climberman

Postby climberman » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 3:13 pm

Dexter wrote:
climberman wrote:

Perhaps more on the 'ethical' than straight 'enviro' review/comparison.

I think Patagonia is vastly different in terms of activism and driving product /materials change.
climberman

Postby Dexter » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 3:29 pm

climberman wrote:I think Patagonia is vastly different in terms of activism and driving product /materials change.

Yeah, I agree. I can't imagine Kathmandu donating all profit after expenses either.
Still good to see that Kathmandu is a lot more ethical than I'd have expected. Even if their pricing and products are questionable at times.
I noticed that link has information regarding a fine due to their dodgy pricing.

In 2006 Kathmandu was fined $28,000 plus costs in the Auckland District Court for breaching New Zealand's Fair Trading Act by advertising goods as being "on sale" when they had been available at the discounted price for months prior to the sale and, in some cases, when they were also available at the same "sale" price afterwards.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby EGM » Wed 05 Oct, 2022 8:20 pm

My issue with Kathmandu being rated so highly is their quality. I have no doubt they're a highly ethical company but the quality of some of their clothes is not impressive and certainly can't be compared to Patagonia.

Longevity has to been considered when discussing environmental impact and Patagonia is one of the best.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 06 Oct, 2022 2:19 pm

Perhaps more on the 'ethical' than straight 'enviro' review/comparison.

I think Patagonia is vastly different in terms of activism and driving product /materials change.

You misundertood what I said in my post.
Patagonia was closed, as it is wont to be more often than open. That being the case, and not wishing to return 133km home empty-handed, I went to Kathmandu and bought an equivalent item at that store. That is what I meant by a win for them (and I was happy for me, too!), with nothing at all implied about environmental or ethical insights.

Respondents to this thread might also want to research the huge amount of changes that have taken place to New Zealand's Fair Trading Act since 2006.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Thu 06 Oct, 2022 10:35 pm

EGM wrote:My issue with Kathmandu being rated so highly is their quality. I have no doubt they're a highly ethical company but the quality of some of their clothes is not impressive and certainly can't be compared to Patagonia.

Longevity has to been considered when discussing environmental impact and Patagonia is one of the best.
Absolutely. And the fact that they offer free repairs to clothing and actively discourage the purchase of apparel (even their own) unless needed is vastly different from Kathmandu’s business model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment