Rewaterproof a 12-year-old tent??

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rewaterproof a 12-year-old tent??

Postby monobeg » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 10:31 am

Hi Everyone!
Haven't been on these forums in years and years because life. I just pulled the 12-year-old 2-person Marmon Nyx out of the shed for the first time in years to take the daughter on her first overnight hike, and unsurprisingly the laminate on the fly is flaking off something horrid. To prove the point I left it out in the rain and of course there's a nice puddle in the tent. The Marmot Nyx was a reasonably nice tent in it's day, but is no longer produced. It cost about $250USD at the time (goodness knows what that is in current AUD value?!).
The question is whether I should even try and salvage a tent of this age, or is that just silly? I've never done this before, and certainly wouldn't be willing to invest more than a couple of hours in it. If the waterproofing post a home-done re-laminate is unreliable that would also stop me doing it.
Anyone got any wisdom on this?
Thanks!

PS- and even the fly's internal velco loops which hold onto the pols had simply fallen off, if that helps you decide whether this is a stupid project!
Attachments
tent.png
monobeg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Rewaterproof a 12-year-old tent??

Postby bernieq » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 3:18 pm

Is it flaking off the fly material (which is nylon taffeta, I beleive) or is it the seam-seal tape that's peeling off?

If the material is flaking then forget it. If it's the seam-sealing then it would be worth fixing (pull off all the tape, clean, apply silicone/turps to seams).

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby monobeg » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 3:30 pm

Both!
The seam sealing is cooked but also the laminate in the inside surface of the material itself is also flaking off dramatically. Google says both can be fixed… apparently… but I don’t know if that’s meant to apply to such an aged tent.
Thanks for the reply!
monobeg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Biggles » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 4:25 pm

monobeg wrote:Both!
The seam sealing is cooked but also the laminate in the inside surface of the material itself is also flaking off dramatically. Google says both can be fixed… apparently… but I don’t know if that’s meant to apply to such an aged tent.
Thanks for the reply!

Ring Remote Equipment Repairs, based in Hoppers Crossing here in Victoria and discuss the options re proofing and hot seam sealing.
But for a 12 year old tent, I would say cut your losses and get a new tent — it definitely has served you well over that long period of time.
It could well be the case that the material will not be amenable to re-proofing, hence it should be seen by professionals who can make an informed judgement and prognosis.

Remote Equipment Repairs
https://www.remoterepairs.com.au/contact-us
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 4:47 pm

Yeah, Remote are good - not sure it would be worth the cost though (even if they'd consider it).

Well, you can paint the whole surface.

Clean up the seam-seal tape & loose PU coating (on the inside, I'm assuming).

Pick a dry day, not hot. Set up the tent fly tightly - easier to do when it's set up. Mix up some standard house silicone with enough turpentine, in a tin, to make the mix runny/thin. Use a paint brush (old if you have old otherwise cheap) and paint the mix on the outside of the tent fly, with particular attention to the seams and stitching points. Try to avoid dribbles. Let dry.

If it's too thick, it will stay tacky (and risk picking up grit, dirt etc). If, after a few hours, it's still tacky you can sprinkle talcum powder over it. Stops it sticking to everything.

bernieq

Postby Biggles » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 5:01 pm

My suspicion is that the overall pre-prep and re-coating, if that is indeed possible, (by RER) could well very exceed the value of the tent. :?
I know they'd be very upfront and honest and tell you this if that is the case.

The subsequent DIY re-coating process is novel. But...turps?? Wouldn't that leave a pungent, lingering odour, as turps is so well known for?
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 5:29 pm

What bernieq says but less of an odour if you use 50/50 with Shellite. A few days and no more smell. Cost a few hours work and maybe $20- to $30- dollars depending on the quality of the silicone purchased. If it works you have saved a few hundred dollars and the tent has gained another few years of life, if it fails all you have lost is some time and a little money.
My successes exceed my failures
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 5:34 pm

No, not at all novel - do a search on this site and you'll find multiple references.

I've used it on my Scarp1 tent to seal the seams (and on an old MSR tent with very similar issues to the OP - I didn't need to do the whole fly, just the seams). Not an inside job, of course. Do it outside or a well ventilated garage. No smell after it dries (or, as moondog says, you can use shellite - highly flamable though, while wet).

bernieq

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 6:22 pm

Highly flammable but drying time is much lower
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 6:26 pm

Hmm, maybe - drying time for the turps mix was not an issue. It was a while ago now but my memory has it pretty dry to touch well within half an hour.

Anyway, suggest the OP use whatever they have at hand - & let us know how it went.

bernieq

Postby monobeg » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone!
It sounds like the cost and burden is not worth it for this one, but I'm pleased I asked to be sure.
monobeg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 11:07 pm

Consider using the PIF forum page rather than taking to the tip, others may think it's worth playing with, or as summer is coming soon maybe using with a big tarp as a bug.fly and mosquito shelter
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Mon 19 Sep, 2022 9:01 am

monobeg wrote:sounds like the cost and burden is not worth it

Hope you didn't get that impression from me - cost to reproof it yourself would be < $10 and a couple of hours and likely to be quite effective.

bernieq

Postby Dexter » Mon 19 Sep, 2022 10:55 am

Moondog55 wrote:Consider using the PIF forum page rather than taking to the tip, others may think it's worth playing with, or as summer is coming soon maybe using with a big tarp as a bug.fly and mosquito shelter

Yep. I'd be interested If it's just going to end up down the tip. Would be happy to pay for postage and a little bit extra for the trouble to send it.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby monobeg » Wed 21 Sep, 2022 12:02 pm

Dexter wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Consider using the PIF forum page rather than taking to the tip, others may think it's worth playing with, or as summer is coming soon maybe using with a big tarp as a bug.fly and mosquito shelter

Yep. I'd be interested If it's just going to end up down the tip. Would be happy to pay for postage and a little bit extra for the trouble to send it.

When I went to take it down the panels of the fly actually pulled away from each other! So I think it's truely cooked, sorry! I would have sent it your way but at this point it's futile.
monobeg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 21 Sep, 2022 2:04 pm

The poles still have value as does the inner tent as a bug shelter
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Wed 21 Sep, 2022 5:37 pm

monobeg wrote:
Dexter wrote:

When I went to take it down the panels of the fly actually pulled away from each other! So I think it's truely cooked, sorry! I would have sent it your way but at this point it's futile.
Ouch!

I guess on the up side you get to buy a new tent :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment