Larapinta sleeping bag temperature

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Larapinta sleeping bag temperature

Postby Easyas » Tue 25 Oct, 2022 7:42 pm

Hey guys I'm looking at hiking the larapinta trail next year start of June.

I'm wondering what temperature rates sleeping bag/quilt is required I've read that the temperature can get down to -5 overnight I had a double walled tent, sleeping pad r value of 4.5 and my current sleeping quilt is a katabatic palisade rated accurate to -1 comfort. I'm a warm sleeper do you think this quilt will hold up to the the temperature of I layer up or do you it would be to cold I don't mind being uncomfortable for a night or two if it saves me buying a whole new bag but obviously I don't want to put myself in danger by having a bag that won't cope with conditions can anymore advise me on if this is suitable.

Thanks
Easyas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Larapinta sleeping bag temperature

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 6:23 am

As long as you have a down jacket or something similar to boost it, I would think it would be OK for a warm sleeper although you may be a little uncomfortable if you stop at one of the higher campsiites.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby sandym » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 3:08 pm

Sounds good to me and much better than we had when we walked it.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby rcaffin » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 7:20 pm

We took our summer UL quilts (800 g).
I can't remember whether we wore our thermal layers to bed, but probably not.
Caution: there can be cold nights in the desert. But we (my wife & I) had the option of snuggling up together, which has taken us down to -7 C with those quilts. Granted, at that temperature, I did double-layer them!

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Thu 27 Oct, 2022 7:42 am

In June this year (2022) I took a S2S quilt (-4 comfort rating) and etherlite insulated mat. I was warm enough.

Just make sure you have a warm beanie and a warm thermal layer with a long-sleeved top and bottoms to sleep in. Better to have it and not need it…

You can always wear your other clothes too. I had a light macpac down jacket (cheaper version of the icefall) and really needed it in the early mornings when eating breakfast and packing up.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:08 pm

We were up there in August and I noticed that even on the coldest nights it would often stay quite warm right up until midnight but the temps would plummet from around midnight to dawn so even if you think its going to be a warm night make sure you have your extra gear easy to reach !
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment