Nemo Hornet 2p Condensation Problem

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nemo Hornet 2p Condensation Problem

Postby LizTheHappyHiker » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 10:55 am

I've recently bought a Nemo Hornet 2p tent (2019 model I think), and tried it out on Friday night. It was a clear cold night with a gentle breeze, and no rain or heavy dew. When I woke up in the morning the inside of the tent was dry, but the inside of the fly was saturated - it was literally dripping with condensation. The outside of the fly was a little damp to touch, but definitely not nearly as wet as the inside. The underside of the ground sheet was reasonably damp too (by underside, I mean the side that touched the ground), but the ground wasn't wet when I put it down (sandy soil).

Is this due to a rookie error in my set up (likely!), or have others experienced this with the Hornet?
LizTheHappyHiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Nemo Hornet 2p Condensation Problem

Postby johnw » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 1:19 pm

I've never owned a Hornet but every other tent I have owned does the same thing to a greater or lesser extent.
I wouldn't worry if you remained dry. All sounds pretty normal for a small hiking tent in my own experience, although I don't like it either.
Don't forget there has been a lot of moisture lately. The ground water table will be saturated and the humidity very high.
So even with the breeze and initial dry ground I'm not surprised at what you describe.
My only suggestion is to see what, if any, venting options that tent has and experiment with adjusting things.
Also, leaving the fly door open may or may not help if the weather is suitable to do that.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 6:33 pm

Like johnw suggests, if the inner was dry you are golden.

In my experience, most of the moisture will have come from the ground within the vestibules, particularly if there's any grass or other vegetation in the vestibules. You can eliminate this condensation by using a groundsheet that covers the entire footprint of the tent including the vestibules, but that would be a lot of extra weight to carry.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 6:56 pm

Hi totally normal. Unless you wait until 10am or so to pack up a tent it's likely to be at least a bit damp from overnight dew as a minimum. Great thing about tents is that when you set them up the next afternoon they dry themselves pretty quickly. At least on the inside, even if the weather is still a bit damp or dreary. Enjoy!
Last edited by Neo on Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LizTheHappyHiker » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:23 am

Thank you all for your reassurance. I really was wondering how much of a set-up numpty I was!! :D
LizTheHappyHiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby legend » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 9:48 am

Just remember your body expires around a litre of water during the night. The vestibule will also collect water on the inside from any grass/vegetation as it also expires moisture (fix this by have a groundsheet covering from tent floor to fly edge).
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 12:32 pm

Opps .. wrong thread .. how did that happen? Deleted. Apologizes
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LizTheHappyHiker » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 2:14 pm

The ground sheet I have only measures to the edges of the tent and not to the vestibules which is very annoying! I'm going to make myself some "door mats" from tyvek to go from the tent to the vestibules. Hopefully that helps a little.
LizTheHappyHiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Thu 10 Nov, 2022 6:50 am

I have the same tent and I'm very happy with it. I'd agree with the advice you have been given. Pretty normal.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn

Return to Equipment